Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you leave your car and trailer at track over HPDE weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 01:33 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
As Joe Biden would say, "Here's the deal." To raise and lower the trailer tongue, be certain to have an electric trailer jack. This will require you to add a battery to your trailer.
As Donald Trump would say: "No it doesn't." The electric jack is wired to the plug and can receive power from the truck. Thereby negating the extra battery inside. Back up truck, plug in trailer, operate electric jack.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:36 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

have an eletrician do the appropriare wiring to assure that when the trailer break away pin is removed, the brakes lock up, just as they would on the road if the break away pin were activated in the event of a catastrophic disconnect of the trailer from the trailer ball, putting the safety chains to work. I am getting this done next week
Not sure I'm following. If you just want to activate the brakes, pull the pin, no wiring needed.

But, that drives the electric brake solinoid from the battery. Breakaway controller battery might last 30 min, if you are driving it from the house battery it might last several hours but certainly not all night. Even if you had a big enough battery, the duty cycle on the solinoid is not 100%, so it would burn up sometime overnight anyway.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:08 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default In my case,

Originally Posted by ExMB
As Donald Trump would say: "No it doesn't." The electric jack is wired to the plug and can receive power from the truck. Thereby negating the extra battery inside. Back up truck, plug in trailer, operate electric jack.
I don't want to have to back up the truck.....the battery in the trailer gets me LED interior kighting; it came with my trailer. I didn't have to add a bettery. Most modern new trailers will come with a battery, if for no other reason than to illuminate the interior of the trailer when NOT connected to the trauck, or shore power.

Interestingly, as we see above, "But, that drives the electric brake solinoid from the battery. Breakaway controller battery might last 30 min, if you are driving it from the house battery it might last several hours but certainly not all night. Even if you had a big enough battery, the duty cycle on the solinoid is not 100%, so it would burn up sometime overnight anyway." I am not so certain that is how it works....next week, I will do an experiment on my trailer to see if that's the way it works. If it is....dont do dat.

Enough on this, I am OUT!
Old 10-03-2020, 05:23 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

As Joe Biden would say, "Here's the deal." To raise and lower the trailer tongue, be certain to have an electric trailer jack. This will require you to add a battery to your trailer. Specify you want a electric trailer jack when you order the trailer. Next, when you get the trailer, on the interior of the trailer, you add a battery power cut off switch. Subsequently, when you have dropped the trailer as low as it will go, with the electric jack, go inside the trailer and turn off power to the electric jack. Lock the trailer doors. If someone want to steal a trailer, they will not mess with yours due to the work involved in raising the trailer tongue high enough to place upon theri trailer ball.

My next briilliant idea (No charge), have an eletrician do the appropriare wiring to assure that when the trailer break away pin is removed, the brakes lock up, just as they would on the road if the break away pin were activated in the event of a catastrophic disconnect of the trailer from the trailer ball, putting the safety chains to work. I am getting this done next week. Just DONT LOSE THE BREAK AWAY PIN, or you'll be screwed as all 4 wheels will be locked up. So that's the deal.

And as we see above, assuming you have a car worth stealing, "Most lock their Enclosed trailers at night so you can jackstand your car take wheels off, cover car and lock wheels trailer. That just makes your car less of a target for any misdeeds."
You're not thinking enough like a criminal (not a bad thing), if they want the trailer they don't have to hook up the ball - they will just hook chains to it and drag it away. Criminals don't care about taking care of your stuff. This negates any of the hitch or jack locks. With a battery powered grinder, any boot or wheel lock can be sliced off very quickly.

I don't know what kind of brakes you have, but on my trailer, with electric brakes, the breakway pin connects the 12V battery to the brakes. I'd be surprised if the battery lasts more than 5-10 minutes like that. It's only designed to stop the trailer if a breakway occurs - it's not a parking brake.

The bottom line on trailer security is locking devices keep honest people honest and make your trailer a bit tougher to get - but they can all be got. A GPS/cell phone tracker is also an option on enclosed trailers to increase chances of getting it back.

I have a simple hitch lock, a tire boot, and insurance. Keep it parked in a fenced in storage lot in a good area. It is an aluminum open trailer and I also intentionally don't wash it as I don't want it to attract attention. Not much else you can do.

I suspect the track is the safest place a trailer can occupy other than a personal locked garage at home. I bet a lot of bad trailer stuff happens in motel parking lots.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:40 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Most modern new trailers will come with a battery, if for no other reason than to illuminate the interior of the trailer when NOT connected to the trauck, or shore power.
Batteries and shore power are optional extras. Most trailers come with those because someone selected those options. They are not std unless you buy an upgraded package with preselected options; some of which one might want, some they don't care about, some they don't. In the end its the final price that matters.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:12 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Another "safety item" is not to have anything Porsche of racing related on the outside of your trailer. My trailer is a boring dark gray from the outside and does not betray what is contained within.

Interior has Martini stripes, fitted out nicely for a 27 foot trailer, and is the opposite of the boring look on the outside.

Don't put "steal me" on the outside of your trailer by using graphics (even though I really want to.)
Old 10-03-2020, 11:14 PM
mjdcolo
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

I got to Mid Ohio this morning, and almost everyone left their car, trailer, and a ton of other stuff out. I guess most tracks are secluded enough, if someone is going there to steel, they have a purpose and brazen plan. Since I just took the car, I left the canopy tent and chair overnight. The tote of tools I just put back in the frunk, and drove home.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:16 PM
mjdcolo
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Another "safety item" is not to have anything Porsche of racing related on the outside of your trailer. My trailer is a boring dark gray from the outside and does not betray what is contained within.

Interior has Martini stripes, fitted out nicely for a 27 foot trailer, and is the opposite of the boring look on the outside.

Don't put "steal me" on the outside of your trailer by using graphics (even though I really want to.)
Put a corvette symbol on the outside. That will keep people away 😁
Old 10-03-2020, 11:52 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Ha! I forgot about that suggestion. Some of the paddock suggestions I have heard is "FISH" in big letters or better yet "MOBILE AIDS TESTING LAB". I guess these days "COVID-19 DECONTAMINATION UNIT" would work as well. With the last two especially, nobody will touch it.
Old 10-04-2020, 01:03 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I leave the keys in the car. Although I'm usually camped next to it.

And, to be fair, I'd like to meet the person that sees my car and says "man, I gotta have that."
‘Then he has to be able to fit inside it.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:45 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Funny to see this post. I was just talking to my gf about this recently.

I have been going to the track since 2002. The track has been one of the few places on earth where I feel the most comfortable leaving things out and unsecured. Track people have been the most trustworthy people I have ever met.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:35 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

You know, I always got a kick out the guys in college who had monster stereos in their car and would have "Alpine" stickers or some other fnacy car audio banners across thier windshield. I never understood that... They might as well put a sticker on their car that said "In case you need money, Break glass, allot of expensive stuff inside"
Old 10-05-2020, 09:36 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 175 Posts

Yes, I have always left my trailer, race car, etc. at the track overnight. Never had any issues.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:21 PM
thelittlemrs
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

As an event organizer, it would be a nighmare to have everyone "load in" every day! Yes, people leave their stuff at the track. We leave the keys in all our vehicles when at the track too. Haven't had an issue (yet!)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:22 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
You know, I always got a kick out the guys in college who had monster stereos in their car and would have "Alpine" stickers or some other fnacy car audio banners across thier windshield. I never understood that... They might as well put a sticker on their car that said "In case you need money, Break glass, allot of expensive stuff inside"
I miss the neon-colored 'Oakley Thermonuclear Protection' windshield banners! Lol

I miss the '90's.

Quick Reply: Do you leave your car and trailer at track over HPDE weekend?