Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to get faster - question for the instructors

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

I love playing in the snow. It doesn't really translate to the MUCH higher speeds on a dry track though.

I really wish some DE group would set up a skidpad as a regular part of the programme.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:53 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage

I agree with Luigi and ProCoach: SKID PAD!!
Or go to Mid Ohio when it's raining
The following 4 users liked this post by Glyndellis:
dgrobs (10-05-2020), mhm993 (10-02-2020), mjdcolo (10-12-2020), ProCoach (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 06:53 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyndellis

Old 10-02-2020, 07:09 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I love playing in the snow. It doesn't really translate to the MUCH higher speeds on a dry track though.

I really wish some DE group would set up a skidpad as a regular part of the programme.
Trillium club does this at Mosport for their events. I found this out recently.
The following users liked this post:
Wild Weasel (10-05-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 07:40 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
That is one slippery place. Once, I was on the grid there when the sky just opened up. I was on Hoosier A tires. I could barely make it around the track to get to Pit in.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:38 AM
amurph182
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Potomac does it's best to have the skidpad open whenever they're at Summit Point, and makes skidpad experience a part of run group promotion.
The following 2 users liked this post by amurph182:
dgrobs (10-05-2020), ProCoach (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 01:04 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18

Anyway, T7 at WGI is a good example of where this happens to me. Up the hill, just after apex, on the throttle (but not yet on the floor), rear starts to step out, slight counter-steer, slight throttle breath, get control, GO. But I feel I lose a lot of exit speed in the process. Happens in T8, too.
Agree on coming out of the Toe. Ask me how I know that.....(RIP Bee)

I've seen you drive as we've been at many events together. You're improving all the time.

Skid pad is one key (as Luigi mentions), and driving in a snow covered parking lot (without other cars near you obviously) is another key learning exercise in oversteer/understeer and overall car control.

I have done both, and both have helped me learn to control the car better when things aren't going right.

A coach in your right seat (when you're ready) is clearly helpful. Get an instructor in your right seat at every opportunity. I do. Our NNJR instructors are usually more than willing to help and jump in whenever asked. I have had the same experience with other PCA regions as well. Niagara being one of the best in terms of instruction and coaching and learning, and The Glen is their home track.

See you at NJMP this weekend?
Old 10-05-2020, 01:58 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Agree on coming out of the Toe. Ask me how I know that.....(RIP Bee)

I've seen you drive as we've been at many events together. You're improving all the time.

See you at NJMP this weekend?
Thanks, Bruce. I'm not sure how much of me you've seen, though. As soon as I get a glimpse of you in my mirror my arm goes out the window!

I'm actually doing NJMP with Schattenbaum next Thurs/Fri. Worked out better with my schedule. See you next time.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:59 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Thanks, Bruce. I'm not sure how much of me you've seen, though. As soon as I get a glimpse of you in my mirror my arm goes out the window!

I'm actually doing NJMP with Schattenbaum next Thurs/Fri. Worked out better with my schedule. See you next time.
OK, sorry I won't see you this weekend.

Enjoy the SB event. Good folks.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:49 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by amurph182
Potomac does it's best to have the skidpad open whenever they're at Summit Point, and makes skidpad experience a part of run group promotion.
Not just experience but proficiency relative to the run group the student is in. The skills to move from blue to white are much higher than green to blue. We strongly believe that a student who has mastered these skills are a better driver and makes our events safer for everyone, not just the driver. We take a lot of flak from out of region drivers and instructors who insist we promote based solely on on-track observation and skills. When we ask they spend a session on the skid pad with our dedicated skid pad instructors, more often than not these folks have to go back down to the skid pad to sharpen their skills.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 09:40 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Not mentioned here yet, but I found driving the swivel rear axle cars that Bertil Roos uses or at least did when I went through there 5 day program in 2017 very helpful. Driving a car through a turn as the back wheels turn out to create the initial stages of spin and what it takes to correct it was eye opening. Taught me car control at a level not possible on constant turn skid pad.
The following 2 users liked this post by 991carreradriver:
dgrobs (10-12-2020), ProCoach (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 12:17 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Not mentioned here yet, but I found driving the swivel rear axle cars that Bertil Roos uses or at least did when I went through there 5 day program in 2017 very helpful. Driving a car through a turn as the back wheels turn out to create the initial stages of spin and what it takes to correct it was eye opening. Taught me car control at a level not possible on constant turn skid pad.
Swivel rear axle cars - interesting concept if it is what I think it is from your post - a car that the rear intentionally steps out to teach car control? Doesn't seem to be too much detail about this on the current Bertil Roos website.

Last edited by TXE36; 10-12-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:32 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

We saw those swivel axle cars at a school when at Mid-Ohio earlier this season for 3 days.

They looked amazing. It was like there were training wheels that swiveled on the rear axles.

I wanted to try one but I wasn't registered for the class, so that was a no go.

Looked way more complicated than a skid pad as to getting a loose car back under control.

I believe it was indeed Bertil Roos.

Talk about drifting and car control. Wow....
Old 10-12-2020, 12:32 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Swivel rear axle cars - interesting concept if it is what I think it is from your post - a car that the rear intentionally steps out to teach car control? Does seem to be too much detail about this on the current Bertil Roos website.
They are called "slide cars" not swivel cars which I mistakenly referred to them as. They are still using them according to the website. You are correct, the rear steps out at a very low speed around 15mph to teach car control in a safe environment on the track. The better one gets at control, the quicker you can go. The concept is to introduce corrections early on in the spin without killing the car or yourself.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:25 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

They are called "slide cars" not swivel cars which I mistakenly referred to them as. They are still using them according to the website. You are correct, the rear steps out at a very low speed around 15mph to teach car control in a safe environment on the track. The better one gets at control, the quicker you can go. The concept is to introduce corrections early on in the spin without killing the car or yourself.
Bob Bondurant Race School had a similar car for learning car control that the instructor controlled in car when you were driving on,a skid pad

Quick Reply: Starting to get faster - question for the instructors