Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta I-class Rivalry

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 12:02 PM
GeoffD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IPC you are right on.

Between 1987 and 1988 Porsche increased the compression ratio of the 924S/944 from 9.7 to 10.2 (new pistons) and changed the control unit and chip to exploit the increased compression ratio for more power. They also made changes to other components including the intake manifold. For all their trouble, they increased the output from 150 to 158 HP (5%). So, if this is what Porsche had to do at the factory to get an 8 HP gain, how does anyone think they are going to get anything significant with chip changes, cone filters and other bolt on mods. In terms of porting and machining mods, I am sure the return is also not there.

When I bought my 88 924S, before it was a PCA race car, it had an Autothority chip, ported intake manifold and a few other bolt on bits and pieces including an MSDS header. We took all that stuff off and put the stock parts back on. It went FASTER. I then sold all the aftermarket stuff and put a good suspension in and it went faster again.

At the end of the day though, you just have to drive it like stink!!

I'm wish I could come to RA to join you guys. Have you ever thought about coming to Mosport? We've got lots of very fast corners where presrvation of momentum comes in real handy!!

Have fun.

gd
Old 03-24-2004, 12:20 PM
kaamacat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll tell ya what folks. If you wanna see a great run with these I class guys take a trip to R/A next weekend and watch them race. Looks like a pack of fighters running around the track in-form......

Bob
Old 03-24-2004, 01:48 PM
84-944
Instructor

OK folks, so far we have 23 registered for I class with at least one sleeper yet to register and maybe a few more. It's gonna be busy out there.

I couldn't agree more with IPC and GeoffD, took me a while to realize that. When I did, I quit buying stuff for the car and have been spending what budget I have at DE's trying to improve technique. I'm the first to admit I have a long way to go but I'm having a ball getting there.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by IPC
What these people don't understand, If you are cheating, how much do you think you are going to get out of 2.5L 4 cyl. I dynoed my car last year 133 hp - 125 lb/tq. You just can't get any power from these thing with out spending a lot of money and doing things that are very obivious and still might only get 10- 15 hp. Plain and simple, you have got to drive the sh#T out of the car to get good times from them. The best thing you can do is get the car to handle forget about the power, they just don't make it. Oh yeah, drive it like you stole it!!!

Hmm 133 hp??? Seems right in line with the 944-spec cars we have dynoed. Torque does seem a little low however.

Check this link for dyno charts.
944-spec Dyno Charts

I agree on the driving and suspension thing. Even at 2600 lbs with driver 2450lbs empty they still have little hp and need to be driven hard to be fast.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:18 PM
IPC
Instructor

# 1 rule in going fast , Give up the car. If you are worried about the car, you will not win!
Old 03-24-2004, 06:55 PM
cheater
Track Day

I guess thats why mine looks like sh#t if it was pretty i might not work it as hard.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta I-class Rivalry