Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell Us Your Apex of Performance, Win Yokohama's ADVAN APEX Tires!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 07:21 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 699 Likes on 486 Posts
Lightbulb Tell Us Your Apex of Performance, Win Yokohama's ADVAN APEX Tires!

If there's one thing 2020 can't stop, it's hitting the road. Or the track. Or both! We're teaming up with our friends at Yokohama for your chance to win a free set of their Y-rated ultra-high performance tire, ADVAN Apex™ V601.

To enter, we want to hear about your Apex of performance this summer. Whether you're currently rolling on Yokohamas or not, share a photo of your car - all Porsche models are welcome - and tell us about your best track experience, road trip, or drive during these socially distanced times. But act fast, we're only accepting entries until September 8!

You can learn more about Yokohama's new ADVAN Apex™ tires on the official website. Full contest rules can be found in the PDF attached below. Good luck and we can't to hear about your summer adventures!
Attached Images
Old 08-26-2020, 07:30 PM
Pyrat2
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

One experience???!!! Well this whole year has been one big Porsche experience. It started when I got the winter itch to upgrade my GT4 to a GT3. While searching one out of state dealer recommended selling my car to a local dealer to make the out of state purchase easier and less costly. Next thing you know I have a bidding war going on for my GT4 between 2 of three local dealers. The winning dealer and my wallet both won!

Then after weeks of searching and deal making, the ‘perfect GT3’ shows up via transport. The GT3 was just a tad less conspicuous than the outgoing GT4 - it’ll burn your retinas out in just the right light. First step was a proper detail, coat, and application of a few decals to make the car blend in like a Ford Taurus.

Then on to the track once winter wraps up. After 15 years of track experience I thought it would be useful to improve my driving skills. I was previously very impressed with Porsche Track Experience at Barber and thought I would advance to a higher course level. Then I got sidetracked by the virus. Porsche at Barber. Cancelled. Chicago PCA at Road America. Cancelled. Next event at Road America cancelled. Autobahn CC. Cancelled. Finally...Road America the very first day they were reopened!

Now here I am today 6 track days behind me and an upcoming 4 day event in a week. Of course all of this takes it’s toll on consumables. Tires are up for replacement. Hoping that this story will send them my way.
Bye bye old friend!

Hello new friend!

Welcome home

All cleaned up + incognito decal

Matching trackware tshirts

My track resume

Social distance meetup

Track day with the Yellow Cab Company team

Feeling comfortable. But, will need new shoes soon!

Last edited by Pyrat2; 08-28-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:27 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

I've now run Yokohama Advans on my last 3 track/DE cars. Sets of Comp TA's, Hoosiers and Pilot Sports preceded my move to Advans. It's the only high performance tire I've purchased more than once. I did my novice year at the track in a bone stock 964 Targa running on a $100 set of Boxster wheels clad with some Comp TA tires given me by a friend to encourage me to try track events. His words - "go out and burn 'em up". I did and at the end of the season got approved to do Road America with the PCA. I learned allot in a weekend about tries and brakes and asked my mechanic what I could do to make my Targa a bit better for the track. His response - "buy a different car". I did and ended up with an '89 944 Turbo for the following season. I did one session on a pair of used Hoosiers mounted on track wheels that came with the car and corded a tire going into a turn. I finished the weekend on the Pilot Sports that I drove up on the car. Sticky but they would fade away without warning. My replacement track tires - Advan A008's! My experience with the Advans has been great. I've never worn out a set. Indeed - my first set of Advans sold with my '89 944 Turbo. My second set sold with my '88 944 Turbo S. My third and fourth sets (Advan Neova AD08's) I've run on my 996 GT3. What I love about the Advan is the way it talks to me on the track. The tires don't do allot of squealing. Instead they have a kind of growl that occurs as you reach the traction limit. I never had an Advan break away without warning. It's like the tire would say "this is not the right line to go this fast - find the right line or slow your *** down".

In a session at Road America - a 997 GT3 caught me on the back straight going into turn 5. I figured he would pass me in my 944 going up the hill to turn 6. He didn't. He followed me around the entire back half of the course but then lagged behind me up the front straight. After 2 laps I waived him by. After the session he came by and asked if I had trouble with the car and I said "I just thought you might be tired of sipping tea while following my old car." He said he had stayed behind to follow my line on the back of the track. He said going into 5 he initially thought my brake lights were out because I went so deep into the brake zone, went around 5 and was too far up the hill to pass in a DE session with no passing in the corners. He was surprised I was able to hustle the car that way on "street" tires and asked what they were. I was running Advans. There are plenty of places to go wrong on a track. At a track like Road America - when things go wrong they go wrong fast. I've been off at turn 3 and turn 8, spun at turn 5, and crashed coming out of Canada corner. But that was always on a different set of tires. I have never spun or offed a car on Advans. Off the track the Advans handle all kinds of street surfaces with ease and have lasted longer than I could ask. Indeed, my current Advans show adequate tread but are getting on in age. Even as they age out, the tires perform and handle anything I throw at them on the street. If only the Continentals on my Cayenne would last like this. The solution - Yokohamas for the Cayenne and on our Hyundai Santa Fe that has over 210,000 miles on the original suspension and shocks. At this point - the tires might out last the Santa Fe. If not - more Yokohamas. Giving me a set of Advans won't sell me on the tires or the brand. That job was done years ago with my first 944 track car. If you're looking to reward customer loyalty - keep me in mind.

The Advans on my GT3 will probably age out before I wear them out.

Last edited by jpoint; 08-28-2020 at 09:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pyrat2 (08-27-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 01:39 PM
245ster
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts

Not so much a performance driving experience, but I had to move from Boston (back to) to Madison, Wisconsin in July. With a lot of apprehension, I let my younger brother drive my 2003 911 C4S during the trip while I followed behind/supervised in my 2003 Subaru WRX wagon that was loaded up with most of my stuff. Luckily everything went well and it ended up being pretty cool seeing my C4S driving on the road.
Since moving back to Wisconsin, I've been lucky enough to have a couple chances to visit the North Woods to do some hiking and boating in a socially distanced manner. Since the weather's been great, I had to take the C4S. Definitely rare seeing cars like this up in the woods, but that's half the fun

Old 08-28-2020, 04:39 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have owned my 1996 993 for quite a few years now. I am the third owner and shortly after acquiring it, I had a TPC Supercharger installed. Major power upgrade. I am not a racer in any sense, but I have done a number of Performance Driving Experiences with PCA, SCCA at a number of tracks. My bucket list highlite was driving the road course at Daytona a couple of years ago. What a blast. Wish I started track driving years ago...

Old 09-02-2020, 08:00 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi - I am using my 1993 C4S for DEs for quite a while.I used AD07 and AD08s as a DE tire and particularly liked them when it got wet. In recent years, I got stuck with Nitto NT01s but I may try the new Advan Apex on my next set.

Old 09-06-2020, 01:41 AM
brianbbs67
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What if I accidentally broke speed laws? Can I still enter? Statute of limitations has run out.....
Old 09-08-2020, 02:56 AM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you, Yokohama, for sponsoring this fun summer contest!

The COVID pandemic has certainly hampered our summer race season. My fiancé and I competitively autocross around the nation and co-drive a Porsche 2011 GT3 RS. This year, our car qualified to run on street tires so for the very first time, we switched from a Hoosier R rated tire class to a 200 TR street tire class. In this new-to-us class, our tire of choice was Yoko’s ADVAN A052.

Not surprisingly, the COVID pandemic has wreaked havoc on our summer race season. So, in July, when a surprising event opportunity arose, we jumped for it! But it wasn’t local and coming from CA, it would require a 900-mile trek to Packwood, WA. The event format was very unique: imagine 100 cars showing up to a drag race that transitioned into an autocross course. The site was just as unique: an abandoned lumber mill deep in the forest with Mt. Reiner in the background. Yep, a drag race at a lumber mill. We were excited to see how the latest street tires performed at this event and all indications showed they were really close to the performance of a dedicated Hoosier race tire.

After we arrived, got the car set up, and did a few practice launches, we were excited to get out and race – my fiancé was first up! She began by launching drag-race-style and turning into a left then right-side autocross course (ProSolo). Her first run was awesome! The car setup worked well and the Yokos had full grip – all smiles and her times backed it up. Then, on her second run, the car launch with a dreaded bang! I ran out, but knew if a car stopped on course like that it wasn’t going to be a small fix. Well, long-story-short, we ended up coming home with a different type of trophy – a broken axle!

The axle has since been replaced and we're looking forward to many more Yoko events!

Last edited by sl951; 09-08-2020 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:50 AM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

The unparalleled serenity at the apex of the mountain made me stop
Winds of surrender, sounds of thunder
The desolate top, exquisite brisk of solitude
Perfect recluse to pilot my muse
Old 09-15-2020, 03:56 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 699 Likes on 486 Posts

Sending out a big congratulations to @jpoint who was selected via a random number generated by Siri as the winner of the Yokohama Apex of Performance contest! Yokohama will be sending his tires ASAP.

I hope that he will post up a review of the tires after they're mounted and he's put some miles onto them!

245ster (09-16-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 10:15 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

Absolutely. Really excited to get some new Yokohama tires. Thanks
245ster (09-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Tell Us Your Apex of Performance, Win Yokohama's ADVAN APEX Tires!