Sponsored by:

working the corner stations

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 04:17 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default working the corner stations

i love going out to track days - lots of fun, meet cool people, learn about the car, etc etc ya'll know how it goes

i wanna get more involved but i have nowhere near the track time to consider instructing - so i hear a good way to get involved is to volunteer to be a corner worker...but how do i do that? i never see that on a DE application - can someone point me in the right direction? thanks

Robert
Old 03-15-2004, 04:57 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just send an email the the DE registrar and that person will point you in the right direction
Old 03-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably the best way to do that would be to contact your local SCCA region and volunteer for flagging and communications. Experienced corner workers are always needed and its a nice way to gain admission (with a pass that gets you nearly ANYWHERE) to real professional races. It seems like most og the workers are SCCA trained. Beyond that if you are not driving and just show up, the worker stations usually can use some company and you should have no problem joining them. Ask and they should explain what it's all about. The reasno it's not on the application is that usually arrangements are made to hire a locval SCCA crew, or participants are "impressed" into service.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

I've met a bunch of corner workers that have forgotten more about racing and driving than I've yet learned. It's a great idea. Just keep asking to volunteer and your time will swiftly get consumed.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robert...

Do what Tom suggests...

SCCA experience working flag and comm enabled me to meet tons of drivers and car owners and sponsors, from FV to GTP and everything in between

You'll have a Grand time, get so see racing REALLY close up, earn points toward driving schools (Skippyschool, etc.), meet folks like race project engineers, etc. Can't say enought good about it!!!

Jim 1987 944S

Quick Reply: working the corner stations