Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Virtual Coaching Turn Into Real-World Winning??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020 | 08:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Can Virtual Coaching Turn Into Real-World Winning??

Fun to be in there with Elliot Skeer, Kris Wilson, Ryan Dalziel and Patrick Long.

For some, it can help.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...SV3AqTfwJ-amPM
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
ajcjr (07-26-2020), fatbillybob (07-25-2020)
Old 07-24-2020 | 11:17 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

great article peter
Old 07-25-2020 | 08:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geneman
great article peter
+1
Old 07-25-2020 | 09:18 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geneman
great article peter
+1 for Peter
As a 79 year old and cautious with COVID19, please recommend the minimum setup hardware, manufacture and model # as you were quoted in the article. I drive a Porsche 944 2.5L NA.
Thank you,
Tom
Old 07-25-2020 | 12:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
+1 for Peter
As a 79 year old and cautious with COVID19, please recommend the minimum setup hardware, manufacture and model # as you were quoted in the article. I drive a Porsche 944 2.5L NA.
Thank you,
Tom
Will PM you.
Old 07-25-2020 | 05:52 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Will PM you.
Peter, Thank you. Just realized my Rennlist registration expired and as of now, I re-registered, good to go
Old 07-31-2020 | 11:11 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Good Article and a contrast to Danny Nowlan's column in the August Racecar Engineering titled "False reality." Danny has some.good inside knowledge and experience with the physics engines in the different commercially available Sims along with developing ChassiSim DIL used by all the top level race series.
Old 07-31-2020 | 02:01 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Good Article and a contrast to Danny Nowlan's column in the August Racecar Engineering titled "False reality." Danny has some.good inside knowledge and experience with the physics engines in the different commercially available Sims along with developing ChassiSim DIL used by all the top level race series.
Link: https://www.magzter.com/article/Auto.../False-reality
Old 07-31-2020 | 02:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cool find. The actual article is a bunch longer and has the general math behind why he says the physics are wrong in the consumer sims. Danny agrees they are a good driver familiarization with a circuit, but would not agree to do sweeps or setup in things like iRacing, AC, or rFactor. The sweeps that Peter suggest in the "sim" are not how teams do it to be fast off the trailer.

I think there is a ton of value in sims as shown by utilization at all levels and the popularity of training with people like SimMetric, RaceCraft1, and others, but it has limits and effective areas (just like setup simulation like ChassisSim).
Old 07-31-2020 | 03:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The sweeps that Peter suggest in the "sim" are not how teams do it to be fast off the trailer.
As usual, Matt, you miss the point completely. Thanks for coming in and pissing on this thread. I’d appreciate it if you would stop creeping me.

DIL sims are hugely different, and in some cases not as good as, the good consumer sims. Apples to oranges.

I’ve not read the article, but from what I deduce from your criticism, Danny’s views, like yours, are such a narrow slice of the pie that they are just about irrelevant to the casual and club level user. I have yet to meet a club level user that has even implemented a chassissim setup.

The suggestion I made of sweeps acquaints people with the change in balance when they make a change. That is all. Necessary and good information. But mostly, I do use them for familiarization. You might have missed that.

Considering most top line professional drivers like Jordan Taylor and Kenton Koch use the consumer grade sims you’re trying to invalidate, I think both you and Danny are mistaken.

It’s a learning tool.

Since you don’t do any sim work or even have a simulator, I would recommend you accumulate more first hand experience before making isolated and unsupported criticisms.
Old 07-31-2020 | 03:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
As usual, Matt, you miss the point completely. Thanks for coming in and pissing on this thread. I’d appreciate it if you would stop creeping me.

DIL sims are hugely different, and in some cases not as good as, the good consumer sims. Apples to oranges.

I’ve not read the article, but from what I deduce from your criticism, Danny’s views, like yours, are such a narrow slice of the pie that they are just about irrelevant to the casual and club level user. I have yet to meet a club level user that has even implemented a chassissim setup.

The suggestion I made of sweeps acquaints people with the change in balance when they make a change. That is all. Necessary and good information. But mostly, I do use them for familiarization. You might have missed that.

Considering most top line professional drivers like Jordan Taylor and Kenton Koch use the consumer grade sims you’re trying to invalidate, I think both you and Danny are mistaken.

It’s a learning tool.

Since you don’t do any sim work or even have a simulator, I would recommend you accumulate more first hand experience before making isolated and unsupported criticisms.
Cool find. The actual article is a bunch longer and has the general math behind why he says the physics are wrong in the consumer sims. Danny agrees they are a good driver familiarization with a circuit, but would not agree to do sweeps or setup in things like iRacing, AC, or rFactor. The sweeps that Peter suggest in the "sim" are not how teams do it to be fast off the trailer.

I think there is a ton of value in sims as shown by utilization at all levels and the popularity of training with people like SimMetric, RaceCraft1, and others, but it has limits and effective areas (just like setup simulation like ChassisSim).

Miss you're coffee this morning?

I think you missed the part where I agreed with you on the uses of a sim (I bolded them for you). They have a ton of great uses. Do lots of folks, including myself, get something out of a sim? ABSOLUTELY!

As to creeping......We are in the RL Racing Forum, right? This isn't two weeks later at Apex Speed, is it?

Quick Reply: Can Virtual Coaching Turn Into Real-World Winning??