Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabriolet Top Destroyed at Track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020 | 07:14 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Default Cabriolet Top Destroyed at Track?

I met a nice guy with a GT2 RS. He asked me if I'd been out to the track yet. I said no, but I told him I really want to do a DE. Then he looked at my car and said "I had that exact same car, 997.2 Cabriolet with PDK. Great car. But you don't want to take that to the track. They force you to drive with the windows down. The wind coming in through the windows stretched out my convertible top. I had to replace it."

But I've had several people tell me this won't happen. Lots of guys run Boxsters and they claim their top has never been damaged from having the windows open.

What should I believe? I'm pretty cautious and I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 07-22-2020 | 09:37 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Are 911 cabs even allowed on track without a roll bar? I can't say i've ever seen one for sure
Old 07-22-2020 | 09:42 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
Are 911 cabs even allowed on track without a roll bar? I can't say i've ever seen one for sure
At my local track they are.
Old 07-22-2020 | 09:58 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Originally Posted by snaphappy
At my local track they are.
That's stupidly dangerous then.
Old 07-22-2020 | 10:01 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Ummm....no.

At least, I can give first hand de knowledge that doesn't happen to boxsters.
Old 07-22-2020 | 10:10 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Boxters will be totally fine, but Cabs have at least double the fabric and arm lengths of the Boxster.
It's not the windows down that causes the disturbance, but the low pressure are created on the outside of the top. That a LOT of fabric that is going to be pulled upwards and stretched around.
I can totally see where the 2RS guy is coming from and can frankly believe it.

Aside from that, the safety aspect of a Cab on track scares me. No matter how slow, if something happens that car has little structural support and the lack of any roll protection scares me.
If it's for a first day on track sure. I see you're in TN, give Curt at ACI a call and you can quickly find yourself renting a cheap and simple Cayman for a proper and safe track experience
Old 07-22-2020 | 10:16 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
Read the PCA rules. Yes they are allowed.

Originally Posted by SkeerRacing
That's stupidly dangerous then.
Thats your opinion but it doesn't mean it unsafe. Especially since they have pop-up roll over protection.

Disclaimer.
My first few DE's were run in a Boxster without issues to the top.
The following 2 users liked this post by ExMB:
mike1111 (07-23-2020), por944trs (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020 | 11:09 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Originally Posted by snaphappy
I met a nice guy with a GT2 RS. He asked me if I'd been out to the track yet. I said no, but I told him I really want to do a DE. Then he looked at my car and said "I had that exact same car, 997.2 Cabriolet with PDK. Great car. But you don't want to take that to the track. They force you to drive with the windows down. The wind coming in through the windows stretched out my convertible top. I had to replace it."

But I've had several people tell me this won't happen. Lots of guys run Boxsters and they claim their top has never been damaged from having the windows open.

What should I believe? I'm pretty cautious and I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I ran my 997 cab on track a number of times without any top issues. Changed to a tin top with roll bar for more safety, but the 997 still looks great. YMMV etc.
Old 07-22-2020 | 11:50 PM
Glen
Race Car

You won't even need a top.....unless you do...
then a coupe is much better.. .
Old 07-23-2020 | 12:08 AM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Originally Posted by ExMB
Thats your opinion but it doesn't mean it unsafe. Especially since they have pop-up roll over protection.

Disclaimer.
My first few DE's were run in a Boxster without issues to the top.
Boxster =/= Cab. boxsters have roll hoops. I started in Miatas, its a world of difference running knowing theres something strong above your head.
Old 07-23-2020 | 09:24 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

I didn't think the OP was asking if a cab was safe on track (I think that we're all in agreement that they are not the best and safest platform for sustained track use). The question was whether high speed use with the windows down would stretch the fabric top.
I am living proof that you can use a cab at a PCA DE without dying or destroying the top. The best thing that the OP could do is to attend a PCA DE and drive his car on track. If he enjoys it, a different car with a roof and a roll bar will follow as he slides down the slippery slope.
Old 07-23-2020 | 10:06 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I used to track my 991.1 TTS (it was a lease btw) when I was in the green and yellow run groups years ago.

I know 3 tracks that will not let you take a Cab on track without fixed rollover (read: not popup) protection. VIR, LRP, and both NJMP tracks (so technically 4 tracks).

As to the OP's original question, no, I did not do any damage to my ragtop, but then again, this was years ago at much slower speeds.

Good luck, be safe, and welcome to the slippery slope....
Old 07-23-2020 | 10:07 AM
Bman
Racer

Do, however, check the track rules for where you will driving. Even if the club allows convertibles the specific track might have rules limiting their use. Some tracks have convertible specific language in the contract related to fixed hoops, pop ups, roll bars and broom tests. VIR for one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bman:
dgrobs (07-23-2020), SkeerRacing (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020 | 02:56 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

I would be cautious with a Boxster. I had a first year 986 that I DE'd 20 or so days; it had the original top and had started to come unglued at the lowest rear bar. I am pretty sure it was due to 100+ MPH runs at DE's. It is a relatively easy fix with adhesive to re-glue the top to the support spars but I do not think Boxssters are totally immune from issues with tops if you DE them regularly.

I now have a 981 Cayman and it does not have top issues at the track :-).
Old 07-23-2020 | 05:36 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brewerbry
I would be cautious with a Boxster. I had a first year 986 that I DE'd 20 or so days; it had the original top and had started to come unglued at the lowest rear bar. I am pretty sure it was due to 100+ MPH runs at DE's. It is a relatively easy fix with adhesive to re-glue the top to the support spars but I do not think Boxssters are totally immune from issues with tops if you DE them regularly.

I now have a 981 Cayman and it does not have top issues at the track :-).
+1 on the 981. Got the same car. S and PDK.

Great track car....

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Top Destroyed at Track?