Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That pesky little Covid thing

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020 | 07:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

There are conflicting data and opinions for much of this, so there's considerable uncertainty, and each person's situation is different with respect to age, comorbidities, and life circumstances, so people will kind of need to decide for themselves what they want to do. If not comfortable with the risks, don't get into a car with someone else, or don't go to the events at all.

I personally am not willing to get in the right seat of a car, but am comfortable going to events where people maintain at least say 3' with masks and 6' without masks. My chance of dying if I get infected seems to be low enough, but there seem to be a significant percentage of people, both young and old, who "recover" but have long-term problems, some of which could be permanent, and this latter risk is a significant concern.
Old 07-22-2020 | 07:10 PM
loneregister
Instructor

Well - you gotta choose your battles. If, for example, you live for instructing drivers on the race track in the passenger seat, and you are willing to get sick to do it. Then I say, you are an adult, and being aware of the risks, you can make your own choice. That being said, there might not be a hospital bed available for you when you need it during certain times of this pandemic. But, that's your choice.
For me - nah - I'll pass on this risk. I have other risks that I do take, and for me, consider to be worth it.
Old 07-22-2020 | 10:51 PM
basil2000
Advanced

3. Any activity preceded by "hold my beer - watch this!

Luigi, your posts usually make me chuckle but this line made me laugh out loud.
Great list.
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020 | 11:00 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi All,

Part of my question involved how you manage this with your family / partner / whatever.

I understand that some folks have a 'Damn the torpedoes' mentality, and that is fine, but what about the risk you may inadvertently pose to others.

The other point is that, nobody really knows what this virus will do. We don't really understand all the transmission mechanisms, and as mentioned symptoms range from nothing to death...

That said, I am not exactly cavalier about this, but I am by no means sitting in a corner whimpering someplace... I am trying to understand the balance that others strike.

Ray
Old 07-22-2020 | 11:20 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbahr
Hi All,

Part of my question involved how you manage this with your family / partner / whatever.

I understand that some folks have a 'Damn the torpedoes' mentality, and that is fine, but what about the risk you may inadvertently pose to others.

The other point is that, nobody really knows what this virus will do. We don't really understand all the transmission mechanisms, and as mentioned symptoms range from nothing to death...

That said, I am not exactly cavalier about this, but I am by no means sitting in a corner whimpering someplace... I am trying to understand the balance that others strike.

Ray
All joking aside, I don't think it is a cavalier decision.

I am balancing the risk of one person for all day versus the multiple people you walk right past if you go food shopping or to Home Depot.

If you haven't left your house since March and get everything delivered I understand the reticence to get in a car with a student. But even if you are cautious like me there is a certain amount of risk in going into a store.

Everyone has different health risks and should make their own choices.
Old 07-23-2020 | 12:09 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My apologies, nothing I am writing is meant to be judgemental, when I was implying is that I still have dinner with friends, go for dog walks with folks, but well controlled situations. I am curious about cars and excited people, and what that means for folks...

I was on a dive trip in late February just as this mess was starting up, so I guess my risk tolerance is in general pretty high...

Here in MA, you can't go into a store of any sort without a mask. and stores are pretty diligent about managing separation, but MA (like others) has been hit pretty hard, so HD, grocery stores, etc which I go to fairly often, are somewhat well managed...

Ray
Old 07-23-2020 | 09:24 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Hi All,

Ray
Probably a lot of variability in that, due to variability in personal and family situations.

My family is being pretty cautious until this virus is better understood, treatments improve, and hopefully we have vaccines. Most things we need to buy are delivered, and we wear masks when shopping at stores. We haven't dined in at restaurants, but we do a lot of carry-out. My daughter is allowed to have friends come over and visit, but they stay in the garage with 6' min distance, no masks, and garage doors open (we have couches and video in the garage), and her friends are allowed to use the basement bathroom. We got together once outdoors with extended family, but maintained distance and wore masks, otherwise we do a lot of Zoom calls. When hiking and trail running, we don't wear masks, but try to maintain as much distance as the trails allow when passing people. We're also taking a variety of supplements to help fortify our immune systems.

My wife and I both drive on the track, so we're both on the same page as far as understanding the desirability of going to track. Limiting factor right now is not wanting to stay in hotels, rather than risk of virus transmission at the track.
Old 07-23-2020 | 10:31 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 3Series
In Illinois, the postivity rate is 3.0%
Novice day that PCA Chicago has, let's say is 50 folks on Novice Day. It's close to that from what I see on Club Reg.
I didn't attend this year, but in the last couple of years, no incidents. So if we take the last 3 years, and if there was one incident, out of 150 drivers, that's 0.6% of an incident, two incidents would be 1.3%. The death rate is even lower.

So, with that said, the risk for an incident in, in car instructing isn't WAY higher, it's lower, in the grand scheme of things, both are low overall. But I firmly believe we need to keep on guard of this thing or it will get out of hand super fast as we are seeing in the south.
Which is why I said "injured" by COVID. :-)
First of all...I race. Much higher incident rate than a Novice day. If that's all you do - Novice days - then yes I would agree you have virtually zero chance of an issue. But I race and DE a 1974 car - there are a myriad of things that can go wrong at 145 mph - brake failure, blown tire, blown engine causing a fire, detachable steering wheel coming off :-).... And to date, I've sadly personally known way more instructors that have died or been seriously injured while instructing a student than people that have died or been injured in some way due to COVID.

As far as in car instructing - I feel I would be statistically way safer in a one-on-one, open window, helmets-on environment than I am at the track as a vendor or in our store interacting with dozens of people all day. Or in Lowes/Home Depot/grocery store/walmart/etc where I can come in contact with dozens of other strange (walmart) people. You can't get COVID from someone that doesn't have it, and studies are showing that asymptomatic people are very unlikely to be able to transmit it. Plus, statistically the chances that the person sitting in the drivers seat has it is extremely low.

No doubt, COVID is serious. But we've chosen to move on with our lives with a level of caution. I respect others decisions and make sure they feel safe and comfortable when interacting with our business. But I am also willing to take the calculated risks involved to continue living life.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-23-2020 | 10:49 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
...You can't get COVID from someone that doesn't have it, and studies are showing that asymptomatic people are very unlikely to be able to transmit it. Plus, statistically the chances that the person sitting in the drivers seat has it is extremely low.
Hi Bob

I am not sure where you are getting your information, but this was a stand that the WHO was taking that is true for the flu, but many research types are saying is absolutely not true for Covid

A key factor in the transmissibility of Covid-19 is the high level of SARS-CoV-2 shedding in the upper respiratory tract,1 even among presymptomatic patients, which distinguishes it from SARS-CoV-1, where replication occurs mainly in the lower respiratory tract.2 Viral loads with SARS-CoV-1, which are associated with symptom onset, peak a median of 5 days later than viral loads with SARS-CoV-2, which makes symptom-based detection of infection more effective in the case of SARS CoV-1.3 With influenza, persons with asymptomatic disease generally have lower quantitative viral loads in secretions from the upper respiratory tract than from the lower respiratory tract and a shorter duration of viral shedding than persons with symptoms,4 which decreases the risk of transmission from paucisymptomatic persons (i.e., those with few symptoms).
from https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejme2009758

Ray
The following 2 users liked this post by rbahr:
dgrobs (07-23-2020), Manifold (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020 | 11:27 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

I am balancing the risk of one person for all day versus the multiple people you walk right past if you go food shopping or to Home Depot.
What if you go food shipping AT the Home depot? Then the chances are much higher, yes?
Old 07-23-2020 | 11:59 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
What if you go food shipping AT the Home depot? Then the chances are much higher, yes?
I do buy beef jerky at the checkout all the time.

Old 07-23-2020 | 12:01 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I do buy beef jerky at the checkout all the time.

LOL.

When my kids were younger, they used to think Home Depot was the candy store because of the POP displays at the registers.

FYI, your pic above, behind Slapshot and 1 and 2, one of my favorite movies. One of the best endings ever....
Old 07-23-2020 | 12:15 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Hi Bob

I am not sure where you are getting your information, but this was a stand that the WHO was taking that is true for the flu, but many research types are saying is absolutely not true for Covid

from https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejme2009758

Ray
Massachusetts has one of the best websites for information on Covid in their state: https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

On Page 18 they report the 98.2% of people who have died have underlying conditions. That is a huge statistic in terms of knowing the risk.
The following users liked this post:
basil2000 (07-25-2020)
Old 07-23-2020 | 12:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Massachusetts has one of the best websites for information on Covid in their state: https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

On Page 18 they report the 98.2% of people who have died have underlying conditions. That is a huge statistic in terms of knowing the risk.
Good data, and generally reassuring, but two questions:

- What counts as an "underlying condition"? I would expect that the vast majority of older people have at least one underlying condition, and a large percentage of middle-aged people too.

- What's the data for people having long-term problems after "recovery"? I haven't been able to find that data anywhere.
Old 07-23-2020 | 12:43 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Good data, and generally reassuring, but two questions:

- What counts as an "underlying condition"? I would expect that the vast majority of older people have at least one underlying condition, and a large percentage of middle-aged people too.

- What's the data for people having long-term problems after "recovery"? I haven't been able to find that data anywhere.
If you Google "covid-19 comorbidity" you can find lists. Diabetes, obesity, smoking, compromised immune system, etc.

Quick Reply: That pesky little Covid thing