Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Track Day - Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020 | 01:30 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by EZ99B5
Some good advice I got from a pro coach a few years ago that helped with not coasting was this simple little trick. Most instructors will talk about braking points for where to get on the brakes when setting up for a turn. Instead of thinking about it as a braking point, think about it as a stop-accelerating point. That minor change in thinking will retrain you to not coast at the end of a straight.

Then focus on going from full throttle to full brakes (while still doing it smoothly - don’t stab the brakes) as quickly as possible at that point on the track. Then as you slowly back off the brake pressure as you approach turn in, you can add steering input and you’ll be welcomed to the wonderful world of trail-braking.

The above helped me shave about two seconds off my previous best at Sebring.

Stop Accelerating.... brilliantly simple. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2020 | 02:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by zbomb
Stop Accelerating.... brilliantly simple. Thanks.
Yes, the "accelerate TO" point. Cleans up everything.

Just a devastatingly simple change-in-approach that moves towards thinking the RIGHT way.

Free performance, if it's done right.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-22-2020 | 03:07 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, the "accelerate TO" point. Cleans up everything.

Just a devastatingly simple change-in-approach that moves towards thinking the RIGHT way.

Free performance, if it's done right.
I’m retrospect, at the time I was concerned about the amount of coasting I was doing, but really in so far as it was related to me not being sure what gear I wanted to be in approaching a couple turns, running to the end of 2nd before the turn and then feeling impatient as I did not have a pedal I felt I could push as I setup for the turn, then having a good run out of the corner at the top of 2nd where the motor is singing.

The thought had not crossed my mind at like, the end of the straight for instance that I was transitioning from gas to brake at probably the aggression level I would do on the street and without the proper urgency.

I’m definitely going to make that a point of emphasis next time out.

Again, thanks for the tip.
Old 07-22-2020 | 03:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I’m retrospect, at the time I was concerned about the amount of coasting I was doing, but really in so far as it was related to me not being sure what gear I wanted to be in approaching a couple turns, running to the end of 2nd before the turn and then feeling impatient as I did not have a pedal I felt I could push as I setup for the turn, then having a good run out of the corner at the top of 2nd where the motor is singing.

The thought had not crossed my mind at like, the end of the straight for instance that I was transitioning from gas to brake at probably the aggression level I would do on the street and without the proper urgency.

Bingo!
Old 07-22-2020 | 05:55 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

By not coasting and getting hard on the brakes, you can make up a lot of time. Here I brake about a car length later than my buddy in front of me (both 981 GTS with GiroDisc rotors), and you can see how much I’ve closed on him when exiting the corner.

Old 07-22-2020 | 07:38 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Some good advice I got from a pro coach a few years ago that helped with not coasting was this simple little trick. Most instructors will talk about braking points for where to get on the brakes when setting up for a turn. Instead of thinking about it as a braking point, think about it as a stop-accelerating point. That minor change in thinking will retrain you to not coast at the end of a straight.

Then focus on going from full throttle to full brakes (while still doing it smoothly - don’t stab the brakes) as quickly as possible at that point on the track. Then as you slowly back off the brake pressure as you approach turn in, you can add steering input and you’ll be welcomed to the wonderful world of trail-braking.

The above helped me shave about two seconds off my previous best at Sebring.
Tuck this advice in your bonnet, I know I am going to "borrow" the concept....elegantly simple....
Old 07-22-2020 | 09:06 PM
zbomb
Race Car

By not coasting and getting hard on the brakes, you can make up a lot of time. Here I brake about a car length later than my buddy in front of me (both 981 GTS with GiroDisc rotors), and you can see how much I’ve closed on him when exiting the corner.

https://youtu.be/cBFMGodc-IU
Cool, thanks for sharing, dramatic difference for 2 like cars !

Excited to get back out and give it a shot.

Lucky enough to get a loaner Solo 2, so hopefully I can see some quantifiable improvement from 1st to last session.

Thank you Matt @ TrailBrake...
Old 07-22-2020 | 10:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cool, thanks for sharing, dramatic difference for 2 like cars !

Excited to get back out and give it a shot.

Lucky enough to get a loaner Solo 2, so hopefully I can see some quantifiable improvement from 1st to last session.

Thank you Matt @ TrailBrake...
You will have it tomorrow! I'll shoot you a note with all the details on use, but it's plug and play.
Old 07-22-2020 | 10:40 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

The Solo 2 is great. Using the lights and option to show +/- versus best lap is a great way to try different lines and get immediate feedback on what works and what doesn’t.
Old 07-23-2020 | 10:31 PM
txbdan
Pro

I suppose its never too soon to focus on learning, but in all honestly, it was your first track day. Just focusing on hitting your marks and focusing on good brake and throttle technique will drop tons of time.

I'm far from a pro, but here's what a more aggressive lap there looks like. This is me from last weekend during our COMSCC TT. Stock Cayman S on RE71Rs. Our format is half a lap warmup, then three timed laps. So the lap timer is on the back half of the track, hence where the video starts.
Old 07-23-2020 | 10:41 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by txbdan
I suppose its never too soon to focus on learning, but in all honestly, it was your first track day. Just focusing on hitting your marks and focusing on good brake and throttle technique will drop tons of time.

I'm far from a pro, but here's what a more aggressive lap there looks like. This is me from last weekend during our COMSCC TT. Stock Cayman S on RE71Rs. Our format is half a lap warmup, then three timed laps. So the lap timer is on the back half of the track, hence where the video starts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNKCtGrJ8OM
Thanks for sharing ! Not sure I'll be gunning for your time anytime soon but really appreciate watching your line and commitment ! Looks like some really fast laps.
Old 07-24-2020 | 12:54 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Got both the GT3 ducts and the loaner AIM Solo 2 from Matt yesterday, Bonus - Matt threw a bunch of sticker swag in... firm believer stickers increase horsepower and as a result, I’ll be flying at Thompson next week ! Thanks Matt

Duct install was easy and still amazed at the price. Bought a spare set just in case cause they’re so affordable.

Comparison with stock below. Starting to get really excited to get back on track next Thursday and again wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to the thread.

Old 07-30-2020 | 11:22 PM
zbomb
Race Car

2nd Track day, Thompson again.

Got to implement some of the advice I got here and on the cleanest lap of the day I ran a 1:26... I'm really happy with the improvement and there was a little more in it if I just could have got one clean run and I could man up on the brakes at the end of the straight. I guess the traffic situation may be a side effect of getting faster in a novice run group.

I'll have a video for review/critique soon - Want to thank Matt @ Trailbrake again for the Solo2, I'm excited to review the data. The reality was with so much traffic, I really did not look at it too much during my sessions, just navigating my way as safely and respectfully as I could past slower cars, not a lot of lap consistency.

It was a lot of fun though.

ETA Video of my fastest lap of the day...

Last edited by zbomb; 07-31-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2020 | 04:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

When your car is reasonably stock, it’s not hard to find good drivers video’s and just monkey see, monkey do.
Maybe even with input from friends with video’s.

Or follow faster cars around on track, specially new tracks.

But coaching comes from coaches.. Specially the first help, the first weekends the results are very big and easy to get by fixing the biggest problems. This everyone should do soon after becoming a solo driver, but after that it’s diminishing returns and it gets harder to find the last second. I haven’t been coached enough and in between coaching it’s amazing how you can revert to old bad habits or focus on one aspect so much that others’ suffer. A good coach needs to see 2 laps to give you a to-do list to work on..

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 07-31-2020 at 04:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020 | 09:46 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
When your car is reasonably stock, it’s not hard to find good drivers video’s and just monkey see, monkey do.
Maybe even with input from friends with video’s.

Or follow faster cars around on track, specially new tracks.

But coaching comes from coaches.. Specially the first help, the first weekends the results are very big and easy to get by fixing the biggest problems. This everyone should do soon after becoming a solo driver, but after that it’s diminishing returns and it gets harder to find the last second. I haven’t been coached enough and in between coaching it’s amazing how you can revert to old bad habits or focus on one aspect so much that others’ suffer. A good coach needs to see 2 laps to give you a to-do list to work on..
Thanks for the comment - I hope to get a coach in the car before the season is out.

2nd session video - this has the majority of the session

Quick Reply: My First Track Day - Video