race car paint scheme opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Bill

Some thoughts for you:

With that big, nasty wing, that could become the stinger for a hornet or wasp paint scheme/graphic ala Jordan's Buzzzin' Hornets.

Since you are from Baltimore, the home of the Preakness, a subtle stripe of black-eyed susans, similar to the winner's wreath (I'm serious).

A black and yellow motif of a no passing zone road sign. No wait, that's more appropriate for my car.

Finally, I like Danny's suggetion of something similar to the original 993 Supercup VIP car paint scheme.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

The creative juices are flowing!

I will pull up some pics of factory RSR race cars and see what type of paint schemes they used. Since I am getting closer and closer to a faux RSR might as well get it right.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Bill,
The first three books have lots and lots of race car liveries. They publish one each year end.

http://www.toadhallbook.com/book.cfm?GI=2&CI=16
Old 03-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Look up the # 68 GT2 from the 98 Le Mans, the infamous cartoon car, with all the nude madamoiselles frolicing on it. Unfortunately the base color for that car was white, not yellow.

Another thought, since you are from Balt, yellow would be a grat backround for a Maryland State flag scheme
Old 03-13-2004, 05:31 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maryland Flag is a great idea Mike. Since my office is right here in the State capital I will call the Gov and see he is interested in a state race car sponsorship. Why not. We have a state bird, state fish, state colors... state race car, great idea.

Thanks Greg. I ordered the '97 book.

2003 I got both a "13" and a safe racer award. So although you had contact at one event 5 more clean events and you make the cut. Lets see if I can stick with 1 "13" a year. Having the car in the shop for 6 more weeks will help. Racing NASA and SCCA will help as well.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by Mike in Chi
Look up the # 68 GT2 from the 98 Le Mans, the infamous cartoon car, with all the nude madamoiselles frolicing on it. Unfortunately the base color for that car was white, not yellow.

How about a modern version of this
Old 03-13-2004, 11:02 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

The pif car is my favorite. It would be cool to see that paint job on my C2T racecarI am building. I am trying to figure out a paint scheme for my car sa well.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:02 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

I meant to type PIG not pif.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:18 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill,

Who's doing the work?

I vote all yellow BTW.

Jim
Old 03-14-2004, 08:47 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello Jim, My car spent the winter at Autometrics having a lot of work done including the new skillion hp motor (327 to the rear wheels BTW). Now the car is at GT Performance just north of Baltimore. The yellow/red 993 in the first post is the owners race car, GT2R. They do it all in house. GTP has several seriously wrecked 993 & 996 race cars they are working on now. My fender bender will be pretty routine for them. The car will be ready before my ribs are ready I think.

"2003 I got both a "13" and a safe racer award. So although you had contact at one event 5 more clean events and you make the cut. Lets see if I can stick with 1 "13" a year. Having the car in the shop for 6..." Not true, my 13 was in the fall of 2002. Clean slate for '03.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:06 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the paint job on my car because it's simple to maintain. The blue parts of the car are all bolted on, including the bumpers, fender extensions, side skirts, and wing. Most of the tracks in Colorado are pretty rough, and an off-track excursion can result in a badly cracked-up bumper. Not having to do anything more than match the paint makes it much easier to repair/replace. If this wasn't a consideration I might go for something more exotic the next time I redo the scheme.

Here's a shot of my car soon after I bought it with the decals removed, showing the paint scheme fairly well:

But, I'm from Mississippi originally and have stock-cars in my blood (where is the mullet smilie when you need one?), so I tend to dress the car up with decals:

I like red on yellow, and never once thought of McDonald's when I saw such cars... UNTIL NOW THAT IS! THANKS ALOT JAMES!!!!
Old 03-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Red and yellow is also USMC so being a former I am partial to that scheme.

Skip, Is your car all metal fenders, doors?

What is the weight of your car with 8 or 10 gallons of fuel. I need 8-10 gallons for a 30 minute sprint race. The new motor uses 35% more fuel than my dependable 3.6.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:37 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Bill,

The fenders, roof, and rear deck are still metal, but pretty much everything else is fiberglass or CF. Here's a rundown:

- Front hood is fiberglass
- Doors are fiberglass, the "shell" type
- Sunroof panel is CF, with all mechanical bits removed
- Windshield, rear quarters, and rear window are Lexan
- Side windows no longer exist
- Bumpers, fender extensions, side skirts, and main wing are fiberglass
- Upper wing is CF

The car weighed about 2500 lbs. with no fuel at the Pueblo Club Race last year. Over the winter I removed the rear impact bumper, used direct mount alumnium rails for the driver seat instead of sliders and stell rails, took the pasenger seat out, and so on. I'm guessing it might be 2450 lbs. now, and hope to check this at TWS next weekend. At around 7 lbs. per gallon of fuel, it should weigh 2500-2550 lbs. or so with that amount of fuel.

I haven't tested the limits of fuel consumption yet, usually starting a race with a full (27 gallon) tank. I seem to be getting around 7 MPG, but I'm not certain as my odometer and speedometer aren't correct for the current tires. The TWS enduro is 90 minutes, and at an average speed of 90 MPH that will be 135 miles, so around 20 gallons. I'll probably add 5 gallons just to be on the safe side.

Sorry for the long post, I got a bit carried away...
Old 03-14-2004, 09:44 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill,

All yellow with graphics.

Richard

Quick Reply: race car paint scheme opinion