Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Some good news from Mid-O and OVR.. (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1195418-some-good-news-from-mid-o-and-ovr.html)

dgrobs 05-21-2020 12:42 PM

Some good news from Mid-O and OVR..

OVR PCA June HPDE Update

Thank you for your patience. We have been working diligently behind the scenes along with Mid-Ohio’s owners to secure authorization from the State of Ohio to move forward with our event in June. I am pleased to tell you that we have been given that authorization to move forward and hold our event. In the next few days you will receive a document that outlines the changes you will experience while on Mid-Ohio’s property.The purpose of this email is to both give you the good news and the bad. I’m afraid that with this agreement comes several stipulations that will affect your plans.

This is very painful to say but we will not be allowed to have minor’s or spectators on the property throughout the weekend without a few stipulations. Though we thoroughly enjoy having you experience these events along with family and friends, it will not be allowed at this time. I particularly love to see young family members getting involved. Unfortunately, we are limited to drivers and “non-driving staff” only. If you have a spouse or significant other willing to participate as “non-driving staff” please email me so I can add them to the list. You can locate my email address at the end of this email.

We will not be able to provide the usual water station in garage 7, so please be prepared to bring your own water to stay hydrated. Registration and tech will be outside gate #3 at the registration building. You will need to complete a health assessment form that will be sent to you in the next few days and bring it with you to be turned in at registration. Filling out this form before hand and bringing it with you will speed up the whole registration process. This will only need to be completed once. You will however need to have your temperature taken each time you enter the grounds. Please be prepared for delays in the morning entering the property.

The last item is masks. While on property and not on track you will need to be wearing a mask. We will provide one for you when you arrive. It is cotton, so if you have another preference please feel free to bring your own. Everything else will be outlined in the master document that you will receive in the next few days.

**IMPORTANT** We (OVR PCA and Mid-Ohio) fully expect to have both state and local officials visiting us multiple times during our weekend to confirm compliance. We do not want them to find any problems that would suspend our event or create problems for future events. Please read the document you receive in the next few days thoroughly and be familiar with the details. It is always difficult being the first, so let’s execute this in the same professional standard that you hold yourselves to in your line of work.

Please allow me some time to respond, but If you have any questions please email me at hpde.chair@ovrpca.org .

PGas32 05-21-2020 01:14 PM

Tempting...170 cars signed up, I'm guessing broken out into 3 run groups? Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't driven Mid-O, but 60 cars on that track at once seems like a recipe for trains even in White/Black/Red run groups. I'd hate to make an 8 hour tow to drive around at 8/10ths and likely have multiple sessions shortened by black flags

dgrobs 05-21-2020 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by PGas32 (Post 16644076)
Tempting...170 cars signed up, I'm guessing broken out into 3 run groups? Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't driven Mid-O, but 60 cars on that track at once seems like a recipe for trains even in White/Black/Red run groups. I'd hate to make an 8 hour tow to drive around at 8/10ths and likely have multiple sessions shortened by black flags

Could be, but my gut feeling is that a lot of folks will cancel. Just my gut.

I'm gonna be watching the roster closely the next week or so and make the decision then.

What has me concerned is the hotel and food and fuel.

If I pick up the bug during the trip, that's ok, my risk my reward. That's a decision that affects only me.

My concern is picking it up, not knowing it, and then bringing it home to my wife and 3 kids. That's a decision that affects them, and no track event in the world is world infecting my family.

I have the green light from the family, but I am concerned about them once I get home.

Tough call, but I am registered and ready to go. Keeping an eye on the roster as mentioned. Yes, 170 cars split into 3 groups could spell choo choo all weekend long...or not. It is an advanced event, and most solo drivers I know don't cause trains.

SWK6Cup 05-21-2020 03:56 PM

this is excellent news! yes, a lot of drivers..... I’m sure plenty of pent up testosterone, too! Hopefully everyone will behave, set a great example so we can all continue this shortened season!

Matt Romanowski 05-21-2020 04:01 PM

Got word this afternoon that the Trans Am race end of June is a definite go. We have travel plans and we're set up to go. 60 days to prep a car and it's ready to jump out of the trailer!

scott40 05-21-2020 04:14 PM

Doubt we will have 60 cars per group. More likely 4 groups of 40.

gbuff 05-21-2020 04:49 PM

Two A groups and two B groups.
See you there.

dgrobs 05-21-2020 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by gbuff (Post 16644739)
Two A groups and two B groups.
See you there.

Jusy take it easy on me with that beast of yours......

KOAN 05-21-2020 04:53 PM

I'll be there:jumper:

gbuff 05-21-2020 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 16644741)
Jusy take it easy on me with that beast of yours......

I hope it pours ;)
I'm limbering up the left arm already.

dgrobs 05-21-2020 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by gbuff (Post 16644753)
I hope it pours ;)
I'm limbering up the left arm already.

LOL....:roflmao:

Janton9736 05-21-2020 05:14 PM

FYI I will me at Mid-O with NASA next weekend. May 29 and 30th. If i see anything re the local authorities mentioned in the OP I will let you guys know.

gbuff 05-21-2020 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Janton9736 (Post 16644808)
FYI I will me at Mid-O with NASA next weekend. May 29 and 30th. If i see anything re the local authorities mentioned in the OP I will let you guys know.

I'll be there w/ Chin Memorial Day Mon and Tues and will do the same.
Spies......this is getting scary......I'll drive like they're chasing me :p

PGas32 05-23-2020 09:18 AM

Alright I’m in, looking forward to it.

Edit: being told I can’t stay in my self-contained trailer because Ohio doesn’t yet allow camping. So I’m safer in a hotel :grr: Let’s hope that policy changes in the next week or so...

dgrobs 05-25-2020 07:37 PM

Just got the schedule for this OVR DE and it looks like 5 run groups on Saturday and Sunday with 4 x 25 minute sessions per day.

Red-Instructor
2 groups Solo A (Yellow & Gray)
2 groups Solo B (Green & Blue)

With 174 drivers signed up as of right now, that's 35 drivers/session. I think that's fine for 25 minute sessions on that track. 2.5 miles I think.

I am in Solo A but I don't know if I'm in Yellow or Gray.

Friday it says Open Track, All Drivers, pretty much all day with a lunch break. Not sure if that literally means open track for 175 drivers or if there will be a schedule. Roster on CR just shows total drivers, not drivers each day. At this point, I really don't give a *&^%. Need to drive...

Maybe there's a lot less drivers on Friday, so that would be cool.

Really looking forward to my first "real" event of the season (not counting the Sebring gig beginning of March. That feels like last season for some reason.)

Thanks so much to the OVR crew for getting this together. I can't even imagine the kind of planning that had to go into this one. Scary. Thanks..