hard lessons in racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default hard lessons in racing

Racing is all about concentration and making the right decisions. Not just to win but to compete safely.

Last weekend I made 2 very bad decisions that will remain fresh in my mind for months.

My hope is that any racers who are gaining enough experience to build a cavalier attitude about their ability will get a reality check through my mistakes.

My C stock 993 went to Autometrics in Nov 2003 to be converted to a GT2 class car. My first look and experience with the car was last weekend at the CMP club race. The set up, power and look of the car was no less than awesome.

I practiced all day Friday and had a ball driving with a small field in a race format test and tune. The last session on Friday my fastest laps were 1:45:2 but consistant in the 1:45:8 to 1:46:0.

Entering the back kink I lifted and my throttle back delayed by a long second. Happened twice during the session but never more than a second. When I went in Autometrics checked the throttle cable, linkage and all seemed to be in order. Saturday morning I drove my first practice session and the lap times were off a bit to 1:46:5 but the car was handling great. The throttle stuck a few more times in this session but only for a instant. I told Gordon (Autometrics) about it and he insisted that any amount of sticking throttle is nothing to take lightly and we should pull the floor up and check the bushings under the pedal assy.

I decided not to miss the next session as the times were our qualifying times for the enduro. CMP is about as safe a road course as you can find. On an outside chance the throttle did stick I had plenty of run off room to shut it down.

The track was a little wet at the beginning of our session so I drove easy for 8 laps or so. The line dried up quickly and I tried for a quick lap. Entering the carousel the throttle stuck and stayed full throttle. I opened the wheel, drove onto the dirt and turned the ignition off. Restrted the car and made a very very stupid decision to try one quick lap before I go in. Drove back around to the timing line and drove as hard as possible to turn one. 2nd gear full throttle at the exit but I shift early here, probably 5500 and carry 3rd gear through the esses. When I came off the throttle to shift to third the throttle stayed full and the car banged into 3rd with wheel spin and a little loose. Turn three is not a flat out turn for me but I was confident I could make it. I tracked out onto the cubing. I hit the dirt with my right rear wheel as I came off the curbing and when I came back on the track the car launched. The car went airborne and hit something hard. Then went sideways across the track with a hard side impact into the armco. Then traveled another 20 yards or so down the track. Oil was running on my left front brake. 3 out of 4 of my BBS wheels were crunched. Steve Johnson was behind me in his 04 cup car. He stopped, ran back and asked if I could hear him. I think that is what he said. I was in so much pain and shock I am not sure. I do clearly remember him saying "I was sure you were dead". The side impact into the armco broke 2 ribs not far off the spine.

Big thanks to CMP for being on the scene in seconds. Autometrics for building a great car and giving me advise I should have taken as well as loading all my car and gear for a long trip home. Thanks to Dr Carl P, GT2R, for checking me out and his advise that I used.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:56 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Bill,
So sorry to hear this happened. Glad you are ok and will live to race another day. Don't beat yourself up too bad, we all make small mistakes that could turn into big ones, thanks for sharing as it may well prevent someone from meeting a similar fate.

My best to you for a quick recovery.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill,

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. Glad that you are ok. Wheels can be replaced, your spine can't. Thanks for the post. Hope you are feeling better.

Regards,
Sam
Old 03-09-2004, 09:59 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, I glad to hear that you aer OK. What kind of safety gear do you use? HANS? Head bolster? We need better education about safety issues.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

We had just installed a FIA Racaro pro seat and rails. Those seats wrap around the helmet area. I think that seat was my greatest asset. No HANS.
The first impact the car was about 8' off the ground (I am told) and the left front wheel took the hit. The suspension, cooler, wheel is trashed.

The armco worked to absorb a lot of the impact on the second hit.

I don't believe my old seat, rails and seat back brace would have stayed secure.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:11 AM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Bill,

I hope you are okay and truly doing well. Let me be the first to say that it takes alot of courage to post this and I appauld you.

Take care.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:48 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Bill, very sorry to hear about your misfortune, glad you survived more or less in one piece! Best wishes for a speedy recovery...
Old 03-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Bill,

I'm really sorry to hear of your accident and hope you get back to 100% very soon. If there is ANYTHING I can do to help, please let me know.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:09 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill,

Sorry to hear about the crash and glad you are pretty much OK. It sounds like an expensive lesson that could have been much worse. We all do 'less than smart' things in race cars and it is good of you to post this and help someone else avoid making all the mistakes themselves - hopefully we can all learn from others and skip some of the expensive lessons.

I'll ask you to take one more lesson from this incident and realize how close you came to very serious injury. A slightly different angle and the outcome could have been much worse. While you are spending the money to repair the car, please add a HANS to the budget.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:32 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow... Bill, I'm really glad you are ok....
Good luck!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Al P.
Pro

Bill,

Get well soon, reguards to #97 for protecting you as well as it did.

"We can rebuild it, better faster, we have the technology"
Old 03-09-2004, 11:54 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Bill, I was there and saw the damage to the car but not the incident. Thanks for posting. I wondered what happened but did not want to bother you at the track. Glad you will be ok. I am seriously considering the hans now.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Good Luck, Bill. Thanks for the reminder about making decisions.

I'm starting Club Racing this year and bought a HANS to take the safety up a notch, but my Recaro SRD seat is probably substandard, with no helmet wrap-around protection. I was thinking of upgrading after this season, but maybe I'll accelerate that plan...
Old 03-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

The car set up safety is certainly a serious concern however in this case my decision was risky and unsafe to the other drivers on the track. This was not a overdriving or off line or risky pass... this was blatant disregard for the safety of others. That I will remember. Thank all that I did not take out another car. I deserved what I got. PCA was very generous to only give me a 13. If I were the stu I would have banned the driver from racing for a extended period.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:34 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Don't beat yourself up too much. You have learned a valuable leason and were kind enough to educate the rest of us. I am a safety freak and whenever something can be taught/learned from an incident, it should be shared. You were fortunate and considerate enough to fess up and help us all.

Quick Reply: hard lessons in racing