Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 ignition coil heat shields for 981

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020 | 11:20 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Default 911 ignition coil heat shields for 981

Just ordered the 911 ignition coil heat shields for 981 from Suncoast Porsche. Anyone do a DIY install?
Old 04-29-2020 | 11:55 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Super easy, just have to get under the car like you are doing an oil change, don't need to remove any cables or any parts. Just bolt them on.
Old 06-09-2020 | 11:34 PM
swberry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
Super easy, just have to get under the car like you are doing an oil change, don't need to remove any cables or any parts. Just bolt them on.
Have you done this yet? Just wondering because the suncoast web site says to have a pro tech install these because of how high you have to mount them. I do most of the work on my car and it certainly does not seem like this would be a tough job.

if you have installed these what company did you order them from and did it come with hardware?

Thanks!!
Old 06-10-2020 | 03:41 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

I had the third radiator added by my Indy. He threw in the heat shield install. I talked to the tech who did it. He says its a bit of a contortion to put them in, but he had done before. He obviously did it on a lift. I bought both the third radiator kit and heat shields from Suncoast. The heat shields come with the bolts to install. My tech said these heat shields were a must have IHO especially if you track the car. The extra heat really degrades the coils and wiring
Old 06-10-2020 | 07:53 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swberry
Have you done this yet? Just wondering because the suncoast web site says to have a pro tech install these because of how high you have to mount them. I do most of the work on my car and it certainly does not seem like this would be a tough job.

if you have installed these what company did you order them from and did it come with hardware?

Thanks!!
Originally Posted by Kitc2246
I had the third radiator added by my Indy. He threw in the heat shield install. I talked to the tech who did it. He says its a bit of a contortion to put them in, but he had done before. He obviously did it on a lift. I bought both the third radiator kit and heat shields from Suncoast. The heat shields come with the bolts to install. My tech said these heat shields were a must have IHO especially if you track the car. The extra heat really degrades the coils and wiring
Got my parts from BGB Motorsports for the heat shields, all bolts included, price was right in line with other online retailers and I didn't have to worry about getting the right parts or bolts.

I don't know how someone would think this was a difficult install. If you can change your own oil, you can do this, easy.
Old 06-11-2020 | 12:38 AM
swberry
Rennlist Member

Ok good enough. I gotta have them anyway, so will order them and give it a try. I’ve changed the plugs on these cars a few times. Hard to imagine it could be any more difficult than wrestling around with trying to access those. Thanks for the info. Talk soon!!
Old 06-11-2020 | 10:36 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Part #?

Could you share the part #, please?
Old 06-11-2020 | 06:15 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Sorry don't have the part number handy, bu for my 2013 Boxster S they are under engine performance on the Suncoast parts website. $105.
Old 06-16-2020 | 01:02 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Heat shields going on...

Next week. Need to keep some heat off those coils. Coil failure is terminal. It happened to the former owner of my car at about 10,000 miles. One failed, then another, he replaced all six (6.
Old 06-16-2020 | 01:07 PM
swberry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Next week. Need to keep some heat off those coils. Coil failure is terminal. It happened to the former owner of my car at about 10,000 miles. One failed, then another, he replaced all six (6.
Hey lemme know how the install goes if you don’t mind. Mine arrive tomorrow, but don’t think I’ll be able to get to it for a couple weeks.

Thanks!!
Old 06-17-2020 | 06:31 PM
Formulabob
Rennlist Member

Install on my 981 GTS was the opposite of easy. Catalysts on my car were so close to the heads that one must deform the shields to get them in place. Then getting bolts in is similar to changing front left spark plug (blind and contorted). But got it done and happy so far since no new coil failures.
The following users liked this post:
tjbreen (09-16-2024)
Old 06-17-2020 | 10:51 PM
swberry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Formulabob
Install on my 981 GTS was the opposite of easy. Catalysts on my car were so close to the heads that one must deform the shields to get them in place. Then getting bolts in is similar to changing front left spark plug (blind and contorted). But got it done and happy so far since no new coil failures.
Thanks for the report. That’s what I was afraid of. At least I know to allot quite a bit of time for this now.
Old 06-19-2020 | 11:57 AM
swberry
Rennlist Member

I received 4 heat shields total with 8 attachment bolts when I ordered the parts. It looks like on my 981 GTS only one of these heat shields fit and attach per side. Can anyone who has done this job on a 981 confirm?
Old 06-19-2020 | 12:48 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

There are 2 shields per side - an upper and a lower. Each shield is held in place with 2 bolts that thread in to pre-existing threaded bosses on the engine. The install is cumbersome but not all that difficult. Put the car on jackstands, pull the rear wheels (if you want more room to work) and then figure out which shield is the upper vs. lower and which is driver vs. passenger side and bolt them on. You might also consider adding heat reflective material to the header side of the shields (I used DEI heat shield that is adhesive).

I did have a coil go bad with this setup - it was an original coil with the part number ending in 04 (the new coils are now up to revision 07). I have race headers that are ceramic coated too. I had 12 track days on the car before the coil went bad. Just seems like coils are a wear item on these cars due to heatsoak.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2020 | 02:37 PM
swberry
Rennlist Member

Ok gents. Done. Not difficult to do. However.... I’m driving a 981 GTS. I spent more time looking for the location to install 1 of two heat shields on one side than to bolt on the one on each side that completely covers my coils. I therefore installed one per side. Simply could not find anywhere to install the other one.

Drivers side heat shield.

Quick Reply: 911 ignition coil heat shields for 981