Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins just canceled DE May 15-17! Club Race?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 11:18 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
If having the virus doesn't confer immunity then there's no chance that a vaccine will.
???

Isn't that the whole point of a vaccine? Immunity?
Old 04-28-2020, 11:23 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, that's more then troubling. If having the virus doesn't confer immunity then there's no chance that a vaccine will.

That's one of the stupidest assertions I have heard in a while, except of course for injecting light or cleaners. The antibody raised by a human is against an antigen of the virus. The vaccine also raises antibodies against antigen(s) of the virus. The specificities and activities of the antibodies are not the same, especially under your scenario where the antibody does not confer immunity.

Maybe you're a hot shoe and you should stick to driving.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:25 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
???

Isn't that the whole point of a vaccine? Immunity?
Not necessarily... Could be exponentially reducing the risk. Flu vaccine doesn't mean no flu and Shingles vaccine doesn't mean no shingles but your chances "should" be exponentially less if the vaccine is effective. Part of what makes the flu vaccine is the number of strains and they have to make educated decisions on which will be prevalent that year. Part of the issue with this is there are more unknowns than known. Look at Lyme, medical community hasn't agreed or come to a conclusion in 20+ years and it's still debated if you are "cured" after a 30 day dose of antibiotics or it is dormant for life.

Just me but i have little faith they will get this right the first time around which is why part of my plan is wait and see...
Old 04-28-2020, 11:30 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Not necessarily... Could be exponentially reducing the risk. Flu vaccine doesn't mean no flu and Shingles vaccine doesn't mean no shingles but your chances "should" be exponentially less if the vaccine is effective. Part of what makes the flu vaccine is the number of strains and they have to make educated decisions on which will be prevalent that year. Part of the issue with this is there are more unknowns than known. Look at Lyme, medical community hasn't agreed or come to a conclusion in 20+ years and it's still debated if you are "cured" after a 30 day dose of antibiotics or it is dormant for life.

Just me but i have little faith they will get this right the first time around which is why part of my plan is wait and see...
Yes, I know that vaccines aren't 100% immunity, but I would feel a whole hell of a lot better going to a race or DE if I had the vaccine (if there was one).

I get a flu shot every year and have never gotten the flu. I know folks who have also gotten flu shot every year and get the flu every year.

The flu shot is obviously not 100%, but it's a lot closer to 100% than it is to 0%.

I agree with everything you are saying but can't help but think that the vaccine is the answer to all of this, whenever that happens.

While not 100%, if I had the vaccine for this, it would be 100% that I'd go to the track, Without it, Russian Roulette...
Old 04-28-2020, 11:57 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

For those “lucky” enough to drive home each night from the track, I can see a viable way to race or solo de, sometime soon.

For those of us who must travel long ways to every track, I can’t see any palatable way to make this work. And as Paul said, there’s really decreasing enjoyment if I’m more concerned with distancing than anything else.

On the bright side, is it an ok excuse not to give passing signals, because distancing?
Old 04-28-2020, 12:41 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 418 Posts

Yes, I know that vaccines aren't 100% immunity, but I would feel a whole hell of a lot better going to a race or DE if I had the vaccine (if there was one).

I get a flu shot every year and have never gotten the flu. I know folks who have also gotten flu shot every year and get the flu every year.

The flu shot is obviously not 100%, but it's a lot closer to 100% than it is to 0%.

I agree with everything you are saying but can't help but think that the vaccine is the answer to all of this, whenever that happens.

While not 100%, if I had the vaccine for this, it would be 100% that I'd go to the track, Without it, Russian Roulette...
And every body is different. I am 70 and haven’t had the flu for over 30 years and never had a flu shot in my life. I would do a DE and social distance easily as I am pretty comfortable being a loner. Do like to have a brewski at the track when it goes cold and talk to paddock mates but that is about it for my socializing. Hoping I will get to practice this May 10 at Sebring with Chin.

Peter
The following users liked this post:
basil2000 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 12:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Hoping I will get to practice this May 10 at Sebring with Chin.

Peter
May 10th, less than 2 weeks from today.

I see it's still on Chin's schedule as a go. (Right underneath this Sebring DE on their schedule is the cancelled WGI event. Right above it is the cancelled NJMP event.

Sebring Chin still a go as of today.

That would be something.....
Old 04-28-2020, 01:03 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
That's one of the stupidest assertions I have heard in a while, except of course for injecting light or cleaners. The antibody raised by a human is against an antigen of the virus. The vaccine also raises antibodies against antigen(s) of the virus. The specificities and activities of the antibodies are not the same, especially under your scenario where the antibody does not confer immunity.

Maybe you're a hot shoe and you should stick to driving.
LOL, I didn't mean to sound quite so absolute. Surely some people will have sufficient immunity but we don't yet know how many. Even if a vaccine targets a specifit antigen, the antibodies produced are the same as those produced through an infection. If they are not produced in sufficient numbers or are too ephemeral to provide long lasting immunity in some, what makes you think that a vaccine will provide better results?
Old 04-28-2020, 03:07 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Jeeez....ease up bauerjab... you are way off base... not a stupid question at all... A whole virus versus , for instance, a peptide or protein -based vaccine present antigens to our immune system in totally different ways,... thereby eliciting completely different immune responses, some of which may be virus inactivating, some of which are not. moreover, even with virus, there is huge variability amongst person to person in whether a truly protective response is elicited. in addition, there is huge variability, person to person, in if or whether at all, the immune response is " memorized" , hence providing long term immunity.... this is basic immmunology. maybe you should stick to something else.
Horus2000 (04-29-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 03:18 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Chill everybody.

Isn't this thread depressing enough already?
Old 04-28-2020, 04:56 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 264 Posts

May 10th, less than 2 weeks from today.

I see it's still on Chin's schedule as a go. (Right underneath this Sebring DE on their schedule is the cancelled WGI event. Right above it is the cancelled NJMP event.

Sebring Chin still a go as of today.

That would be something.....
Get going man!!!!!

Just spoke with a friend in Canada whose track days I frequent and they're in the same boat....he has a day on May 19 that he's hoping for but they just don't know when Mosport will be allowed to open
Old 04-28-2020, 05:23 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbuff
Get going man!!!!!
Funny you say that.

I went to Sebring for the first time ever and ran 3 days from March 6th - March 8th with Suncoast PCA.
A few of my NNJR buddies were there as well, but I was the only one who towed all the way there and back for these 3 days.
Everyone else already had their cars down there for the season because they were doing multiple events there over the winter.
Was a bucket list track and the schedule worked perfectly so I towed down. It was about a week before the Shiite hit the fan with Covid-19.

All my track buddies told me I was nuts to tow all the way to Florida and all the way back for just 3 days on track. They laughed at me.

Out of all my track friends who are dying right now to be out on track, including myself, out of all of us so far this season, we've done a total of 1 man on track for 3 days. My 3 days at Sebring.

Not one of them is laughing at me now. Funny how that worked out.....

Old 05-08-2020, 03:57 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 168 Posts

Looks like the Club Race has officially been cancelled.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:01 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

On to VIR!!!!

Better sign up!

Stu
Old 05-08-2020, 04:02 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks like the Club Race has officially been cancelled.
listen, its just racing for many of us, and I hope everyone is healthy first and foremost, and us drivers will get over it.
but think about your shops, your crews, the haulers, the mechanics, the corner workers, the tracks...they are probably suffering a bit more.
so yeah, id like to get on track but I really feel for those dudes far more than missing a few laps.
lets hope we can get back to something approaching normal for the 2nd half of the season. MMC, NJMP, etc.
dgrobs (05-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Watkins just canceled DE May 15-17! Club Race?!