Sponsored by:

Since we are all sitting around bored

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 03:31 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
OK, folks, I just finished a batch of videos and emailed comments out. I have one more set of videos on some West Coast tracks to finish for someone here. I'll probably be done that tomorrow morning. So I have capacity for more again. Keep 'em coming!!!
You're killing it man. Just killing it....
Old 04-20-2020, 08:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 792 Posts

Haha! Thank you
Old 04-22-2020, 09:52 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

This is so incredibly nice of you.

if you don’t mind I’d like to e-mail you links to a couple of my laps in Barcelona and Dijon-Prenois (less than two minutes each), and very short footage of my worst moment to date, just to see if my own assessment of the chain of mistakes that led me there is correct (in other words, to see if I have learnt enough to date to recognize my own errors)
Old 04-22-2020, 10:20 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ABusLux
This is so incredibly nice of you.

if you don’t mind I’d like to e-mail you links to a couple of my laps in Barcelona and Dijon-Prenois (less than two minutes each), and very short footage of my worst moment to date, just to see if my own assessment of the chain of mistakes that led me there is correct (in other words, to see if I have learnt enough to date to recognize my own errors)

Absolutely, please do. I will be able to analyze them tomorrow (Thursday).
The following users liked this post:
ABusLux (04-23-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 10:26 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Old 04-22-2020, 10:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Old 04-23-2020, 12:03 PM
Brockoli
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just sent you an email with my lap. Hopefully you still have the time and energy for more
Old 04-23-2020, 12:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brockoli
Just sent you an email with my lap. Hopefully you still have the time and energy for more
Absolutely
Old 04-24-2020, 01:24 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

I sent Dave a couple of videos and he was kind enough to provide great feedback. I am posting here so everyone can benefit.

Feedback for Laguna:

Wow, in the race holy cow, that car turned around just before 11 as you came out of the dust cloud. Yikes! And yeah, that was a lovely pass under FCY. Ugh

Just a couple of observations for you to consider, that may yield a few tenths here and there, which, added up, become seconds, as you know.

First, I notice you have a tendency sometimes, in some corners, to jump to throttle a tiny bit too soon, only to have to lift when it results in understeer. And then back to gas. What this does is delay when we can actually get to 100% throttle, and this shortens our full throttle zone. It doesn’t seem like it would be significant. However, it really has a surprising impact on lap times. You did it often (when not super close behind another car) in 2, and sometimes in 3, sometimes in 5. But where you didn’t do it (at least on there data video), speeds at the next brake zone were slightly higher. This = lap times. IMO focus on being maybe 1/4 second more patient. This allows the car to rotate just a few more degrees, so as we begin releasing steering, when we go to gas and the nose lifts, understeer isn’t much of an issue & we can remain on throttle.

Second, I know the power band of your motor is really up high. However, I think you’re leaving some time on the table in 9. Since 9 is steeply downhill, I wonder what would happen if, just before braking for 9, you shifted up to 4th gear. I believe it would allow you to come off the brakes a bit sooner and roll to positive throttle in 9 a lot sooner. Yes, you’d be not at the peak of your power band…but you’d be able to use more throttle position for a lot more real estate (and 9 is huge in length), in a downhill acceleration zone. Right now you barely have enough time to upshift and then downshift again for 10. I dunno, worth a try. The takeaway to me is overall less braking for 9 and sooner on harder gas.

Third, I looked at your overall fastest lap in the race, to see some of the things you did better. The big thing at both the beginning and end of that lap that was notable was how you handled 11. You trail braked just a little bit better, and thus preserved 2-3 more MPH at minimum. And then, as a result, as that lap began, you set your highest top speed into 2, 142 MPH. And then you executed again at the end of that lap in 11, and beat that speed by 1 MPH into 2 (before your braking bobble lol)! And the really impacted that lap time in a great way. So IMO really think about trail braking there and flowing off that brake pedal like you did in that lap

I hope these make sense. Your car, as always, is there bomb dot com!

For Fontucky:

T3: at 0:39, I’d really like to see you using more of the apex curb on the right. This would allow, at 0:40, a lot more & earlier opening of steering out of there. You are so good on the brakes on entry, but give away a lot setting up for exit. Getting in tighter to 3 gives you way more radius at exit, which = MPH that you carry all the way to 4.

I love your double apex of 4. Sucks the car ahead didn’t figure that out…

T7: perhaps a better visual there will help brake point? At 1:08, I’d really like you to be turning in more. Your momentum will carry you far enough to prevent an early apex. This corner is really a visual mind **** IMO, but look at the consequence of going just a few feet too far before tucking the car in.

T10-12: Look at 1:28 to 1:32. The car in front takes a much wider arc exiting 10 and through 11 into 12 than you do. This forces you to really hesitate on throttle at around 1:30…and look how much that car gaps you just in here. IMO this is the key corner complex on the entire track, as it sets us up for 14 and traversing all that BS cone & tire area leading back to the oval. If we get gapped in 11-12, we never get it back…

That’s really all I saw there! Holy smokes you’re totally out of RPM in 6th at a little over 170!!
ABusLux (04-24-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 06:28 PM
Brockoli
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big thanks to Dave for the video review of my lap. He had some really good points that I cant wait to try once track days resume.....he was even kind enough not to comment when the driver coughed during the lap It was amazing how much he could pick apart my shaky Harry's Lap Timer video with only my speed and G-force data overlay. Thanks again Dave!!!
Old 04-28-2020, 06:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

My pleasure. Keep them coming, folks!!
Old 04-29-2020, 10:49 AM
dasing
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you for the offer Dave. E-mail sent.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:32 PM
dasing
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks again for the great feedback and reviewing a non-Porsche video. It was quite a bit more detailed than I anticipated. I'm really looking forward to getting back to the track to try out some of the things we discussed.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:35 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Talking

Thanks so much for the review Dave. A very technical way of saying "grow a pair" In all seriousness I hope to try your suggestions out at the Glen in 4 weeks.
ProCoach (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 09:39 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I'm glad y'all are finding value in my feedback. I have one more video to finish and review, hopefully today.

Keep 'em coming!!!
ABusLux (05-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Since we are all sitting around bored