Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets have some fun... Name your favorite corner and why.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 10:40 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Having driven:
Sonoma T10. Skill + commitment. Can eat up other cars in entry, mid corner and exit. Failure will have you boucing off walls on either side.
Thunderhill T9. Car control. Balance and bravery. The drive down the hill is fantastic and you can make up a ton of ground

In sims:
Mugello: Arrabbiata 1 & 2. Anyone's who has driven this knows why
Old 03-30-2020, 10:42 PM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Road America: The kink, in qualifying, with no aero.
T6 at the top of the hill
T13, even better when the Billy Mitchell bridge was still there

Mid Ohio: China Beach and the entry to Madness (on the left side as others have mentioned)
The esses at the bottom of Madness to T9

Gingerman: Maybe the most technical track I've driven. Except for the last turn, none of the turns are standalone "typical" corners.
The T5-T6 combination
The T7-T8-T9 combination (I don't know of any other combination of corners that are almost always driven wrong)

Putnam Park: After the re-pave. :-D
T3-T4
T9-T10

Laguna Seca: Only got to drive it one weekend.
T4, is it my imagination, or is the track wider after the apex compared to turn in?

Old 03-31-2020, 08:23 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Eau Rouge because *****
T2 Mosport because *****
Esses at the Glen because...
I see a pattern here...
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 09:48 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,982 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Scary corners are more fun, but also more scary.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:21 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Pretty much a consistent 69-70 with no traffic on the front past s/f..
Originally Posted by ProCoach
My guess is 66-68.
So my 66mph on MPSS Street tires isn’t bad, stock 981 CGTS speed is GPS not OBD 2. Front end would wash out in turn 2 if I don’t lift. That was my 1st time and I need to really get back there.

Peter
ProCoach (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 12:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 793 Likes on 510 Posts

I'd say my favorite corner is always the next one! When you're really having a great session, all corners are constantly try a little more, going a tiny bit over the edge, a little slide, and trying to get the next one better. All of LRP is like that!

WGI turn 2 flat gets interesting in cars with lots of motor, no tire, and no aero.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski

WGI turn 2 flat gets interesting in cars with lots of motor, no tire, and no aero.

...and no slight lift at turn in
Old 03-31-2020, 02:51 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I'd say my favorite corner is always the next one! When you're really having a great session, all corners are constantly try a little more, going a tiny bit over the edge, a little slide, and trying to get the next one better. All of LRP is like that!

Been trying that in a Nascar on the sim for 2 days. A handful
Matt Romanowski (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 03:19 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Any corner that allows my 230HP machine close on GT3s/GT4s/etc...
Old 04-04-2020, 11:49 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

"Fastest track in the west"
Big Willow Turn 8 & 9; flat out 5th gear, drop into 4th and commit big time, repeat process @ 1&2
Mthrice (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 01:09 PM
basil2000
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
+1 apex of turn one to the bus stop at WGI … totally Flat … allot of building up to it, but a containment seat at just a but wider tires was enough to build the confidence... In an advanced DE I always get bummed when someone is coming out of the blend line onto the track.... Does anyone else notice a but of a bump developing (or maybe i was going to slow before to notice it) in the middle of the esses when you are transitioning from the right side of the track to the left its almost exactly where the car is neutral.. ?
yes, between 2 and 3 there seems to be a bump. I notice I need to be smoother through there and I also notice that I lift a bit there. I need to stay in the throttle there. I think I just worry about carrying too much speed and changing the color of my car to blue at the track out of 3.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,918 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by basil2000
yes, between 2 and 3 there seems to be a bump. I notice I need to be smoother through there and I also notice that I lift a bit there. I need to stay in the throttle there. I think I just worry about carrying too much speed and changing the color of my car to blue at the track out of 3.
I've noted that equivocal throttle approaching and in the transition between the end of T2 and the beginning of T3 is something that drivers introduce that PROMOTES instability in that area, due to weight distribution changes (ill-timed pitch changes, coupled with lat g changes).

You really need to TELL THE CAR what to do. The "floating" instead of "loaded" state of the platform makes the car feel worse in the direction change. It's not "brave" or foolhardy to progressively lessen the "breathe" off WOT until it's not there anymore.

If the car's geometry is correct and the timing of the transition is correct, it's not a big deal. I disagree with some coaching advice that encourages earlier turn-in to T3 to "cross the crown early." Not supported by the data and a LOT more "pucker" measured on the exit by going in early.

It IS important to pause at the end of that right (T2) and THEN bend the car in to the left (T3). If you make a sudden transition without that "resting" moment between, the cars equipped with street tires (especially those with significant depth in the tread blocks) don't like it.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

mhm993 (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 08:52 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 218 Posts

The Kink at Road America. A little breathe off the throttle at turn in and then put your foot down. Listen for the 'blip' of the rumble strips at the apex, if the pitch and duration is correct you know all is well in the world and you'll kiss the edge at track out. If you don't hear that beautiful sound you know you've f'ed up and you'll need to scrub speed and make minute throttle changes to slow the pace without upsetting the car.

A scare myself every time through there.

Back in 2014, driving a 355 Challenge, I had a major brain fart and ended up 4 off there. One of the few to do so without playing ping pong off the walls. This was about 3/4 of the way into the race, in the lead with no pressure, and then this:
I still have no idea what was going on in my head that suddenly made me turn in early. But the sound of catching that much of the apex curbing sure got my attention quick!!
Old 04-05-2020, 09:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,918 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Nice recovery! Definitely a sphincter-sensor-off-the-scale moment...
Old 04-05-2020, 09:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 793 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by basil2000
Originally Posted by ProCoach
I've noted that equivocal throttle approaching and in the transition between the end of T2 and the beginning of T3 is something that drivers introduce that PROMOTES instability in that area, due to weight distribution changes (ill-timed pitch changes, coupled with lat g changes).

You really need to TELL THE CAR what to do. The "floating" instead of "loaded" state of the platform makes the car feel worse in the direction change. It's not "brave" or foolhardy to progressively lessen the "breathe" off WOT until it's not there anymore.

If the car's geometry is correct and the timing of the transition is correct, it's not a big deal. I disagree with some coaching advice that encourages earlier turn-in to T3 to "cross the crown early." Not supported by the data and a LOT more "pucker" measured on the exit by going in early.

It IS important to pause at the end of that right (T2) and THEN bend the car in to the left (T3). If you make a sudden transition without that "resting" moment between, the cars equipped with street tires (especially those with significant depth in the tread blocks) don't like it.
The bump around the access road going into T3 has been there since the repave. Pete Argetsinger and I had quite a conversation about it and he didn't believe me until I showed him in the data (shock pots and ride height) were the bump was and exactly how big it was. He didn't really agree until the next year when it came out a little more, a little more after the next winter, and we'll all wonder for a bit how it is this year

No question people's throttle application and commitment can change the cars pitch sensitivity and for/aft weight balance there, but in certain cars, the bump is more pronounced. I've found and coach a slightly later turn into T3 to avoid it. Instead of turning in at the end of the curb/beginning of the access road, turning in with the nose of the car just after the beginning to half way up the access road gets you out of the bump. The data shows that you then miss the bump.

Quick Reply: Lets have some fun... Name your favorite corner and why.