Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderhill (Willows, CA) Veteran Willing to lead a first go in my 2006 CS4

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020 | 08:47 PM
2006CS4
2nd Gear

Default Thunderhill (Willows, CA) Veteran Willing to lead a first go in my 2006 CS4

Hello guys, Thunderhill is having a track day on Sunday March 29 and this will be the first time on a track with my recently purchased 997 CS4 so I am wondering if anyone is up for a free day at the track (as in gratis) and is familiar with the track so I can follow another 911 for at least a couple sessions (6 20-minute sessions included). I did the track with my previous RS5 but I still don't even know what to expect from the 911 and know the braking points and turn-in/speed-outs will not work with anything other than following another 911.
Old 02-26-2020 | 12:35 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Are you running with GGR? I'm pretty sure you'll get an instructor for your first few events until you get signed off. Have the instructor drive your car.
Old 02-26-2020 | 02:13 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

This seems to me to be an odd request. If you understand the basics, you will know that the process of getting acquainted with a different platform is pretty straightforward, and simply following an experienced driver in a similar car is not the best way.

In my experience and opinion, the best way to really learn the basics and further develop is to immerse one's self in "learning the craft" not just "enjoying the experience." For many, the latter is just fine. But if you are serious about the former... then what you have requested makes little sense in my experience/opinion.

For local Porsche owners, I believe that the Porsche Club of America Golden Gate Region (PCA-GGR) is the best learning and advancement "home base."

I have been a PCA member since 1987, and first drove on track in late '87/early '88.

I have been track driving, instructing and racing since then. I have many, many laps in at Thunderhill.

Now that you have a Porsche I encourage you to join the PCA.

Feel free to send me a PM and I will send you my contact information. Then we can "discuss" further.

- Mike
Old 02-26-2020 | 02:24 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

This is the statement that concerns me...

"I still don't even know what to expect from the 911 and know the braking points and turn-in/speed-outs will not work with anything other than following another 911."

That statement suggests that you may be under- or misinformed about the basics.

I encourage a viewing of the Skip barber video called "Going Faster." It is dated, but the basics are well presented. I first watched that video in ~1987 right before my first track DE experience, which took place with the PCA at Lime Rock Park. I watch it every off season 2-3x.

I recommend this video to all my students.

You should learn that the turn in, apex and track out points are generally NOT CAR DEPENDENT, until you are trying to get the final little bit of performance from the tires (it is all about them after all).

One of my former students/proteges became the chief instructor for the PCA Golden Gate Region. He may still have some basic Thunderhill Youtube videos posted. I can check.

Also, the GGR instruction crew created a turn by turn track guide for Thunderhill many moons ago. It is still a great reference document.

- Mike

Old 02-26-2020 | 05:18 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2006CS4
Hello guys, Thunderhill is having a track day on Sunday March 29 and this will be the first time on a track with my recently purchased 997 CS4 so I am wondering if anyone is up for a free day at the track (as in gratis) and is familiar with the track so I can follow another 911 for at least a couple sessions (6 20-minute sessions included). I did the track with my previous RS5 but I still don't even know what to expect from the 911 and know the braking points and turn-in/speed-outs will not work with anything other than following another 911.
Why will braking and turn in points be different for 911 vs non-911's?
Old 02-26-2020 | 07:43 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

IMHO.... you're overthinking things. You should just get out there and be open minded and have fun. There's always a 911 or 50 at a track event. That doesn't mean that you'll be able to hang with them. Just have fun and get faster next time. Repeat that process over and over again and you'll be fast eventually.
Thunderhill is a great track.
Here's a vid of me in my 06 C2s from a few years ago for a look see.

Quick Reply: Thunderhill (Willows, CA) Veteran Willing to lead a first go in my 2006 CS4