Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front tire edges chunking - Roll bar or Wait to Consult with Driving Instructor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020 | 11:15 AM
Red991S
Advanced

you can try Cup 2s, a little more street but also track capable but expensive. Nitto NT01 or 05. Toyo R888R. not sure about sizes etc, but these are all the popular ones I see. There are more, trofeo Rs etc, but they're super expensive.
The following users liked this post:
Janton9736 (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020 | 11:28 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red991S
Here's my chunking of my stock Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetrics:
I'd start with better tires for the track. agree with all about camber as well, but most of us running street tires, even great ones like MS4S or such have the same issue. They're just not meant for the stresses of track use. I ended up getting a set of dedicated track wheels and a set of RE71Rs. much better.
That's actually not chunking either - it is just excessive edge wear.
-Mike
Old 02-26-2020 | 11:52 AM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

You know what? I am glad you mentioned Hankook. That made me look to confirm what I THOUGHT I kew about them - that they were made in China, and i refuse to buy Chinese goods anymore as often as possible. But I looked and it appears that Hankook is a SOUTH KOREAN tire company. I will be more open minded to it now, though Id prefer an American or German company.

When I search for Nitto NT01 on TireRack.com it does not show up. And the nitto tire company web page redirects to Toyo. I then found Nittos on something called Discount Tire Direct. huh.

Thank you, back to research..

Jeff

Last edited by Janton9736; 02-26-2020 at 12:01 PM. Reason: condensing
Old 02-26-2020 | 12:37 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Janton9736
You know what? I am glad you mentioned Hankook. That made me look to confirm what I THOUGHT I kew about them - that they were made in China, and i refuse to buy Chinese goods anymore as often as possible. But I looked and it appears that Hankook is a SOUTH KOREAN tire company. I will be more open minded to it now, though Id prefer an American or German company.

When I search for Nitto NT01 on TireRack.com it does not show up. And the nitto tire company web page redirects to Toyo. I then found Nittos on something called Discount Tire Direct. huh.

Thank you, back to research..

Jeff
NT01 are good but not something I would drive to and from track unless a very short distance, absolutely dangerous in the rain. Hankook RS4, RE71-R Stones, or Goodyear Super Car 3 are all great street tires that you can take to the track. The 71R is better on lighter cars as they tend to heat up and loose grip more than the Kooks or Goodyear’s

Peter
Old 02-26-2020 | 01:13 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

How about a hitch mount and tire trailer system for your dual duty car? I would do that and run NT01s so you have less compromises all around. May be able to run more cost effective street tires too to save some money!
Old 02-26-2020 | 01:37 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Generally speaking, Hankook makes good tires. In fact, their Z214s are wonderful on my track car.

Also generally speaking, Nitto NT-01s are terrible in standing water, but they are a good, economical DE tire and are what I typically use on the dedicated track car - the Z214s cost more than double once durability is counted. Do not care for them at all in the wet.

I used to use Nitto NT-05s on my former dual purpose car and I use NT-05s on the track car for wets. NT-05s are very economical to run and hold up to track heat very well. I would argue it is worth getting proficient with NT-05s before investing in NT-01s. The NT-05 is a street tire and can easily be driven to/from the track.

Just because of the thread title, it is worth mentioning that no tire will solve the outer edge wear problem the discussion started with.

-Mike
Old 02-26-2020 | 03:19 PM
txbdan
Pro

NT01s are the greatest do-all practice/HPDE tire there is. They're extremely forgiving of temps, pressures, cycles, and alignment while being fast enough and durable enough. I actually have a buddy who drove from Mississippi to Watkins Glen on NT01s in an S2000. They're more durable than some of the hot 200tws like RE71Rs. If you're just driving an hour or two to/from the track, I'd rather drive on them than deal with a tire trailer and swapping wheels. They do suck in the rain though so caution is certainly advised.
Old 02-26-2020 | 03:32 PM
rickyboycz
Rennlist Member

I do use the Hankook RS4's currently for HPDE stuff and like them for the lower cost, longer lasting and decent performance compared to other 200tw tires. In moderate to lower temperatures you need to take a lot of time and get heat into them as they will chunk easily if you start going 10/10th's too soon.
Old 02-26-2020 | 08:34 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Janton9736
Unfortunately the Bridgestone RE71R is not made in my tires sizes according to TireRack online. Any other tire suggestions that are great on the track, but I can also use in the street to drive to events?
245/35/19 is only a .3" taller and wider then your 235/35/19 fronts, dont sweat it. Will help turn-in a hair too. RE71 are great but you'll definitely get more mileage out of some Hankook RS4. The 71's lasted me 2,500 highway/track miles to include 11 track days and that's with running 255 on all corners and rotating them left to right, front to back, flipping them on the rims and even running backwards in the dry. Many people gave me the advice that the RS4 is 95% the speed of 71's but last twice as long, lots of amateur endurance guys use them apparently. I put some on in the fall for the last DE of the season, felt great!
Old 02-26-2020 | 09:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Just max our the camber and buy different tires, as others have said.
What tires aren’t available for you car (on tire rack)?
Old 02-29-2020 | 01:57 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by txbdan
NT01s are the greatest do-all practice/HPDE tire there is. They're extremely forgiving of temps, pressures, cycles, and alignment while being fast enough and durable enough. I actually have a buddy who drove from Mississippi to Watkins Glen on NT01s in an S2000. They're more durable than some of the hot 200tws like RE71Rs. If you're just driving an hour or two to/from the track, I'd rather drive on them than deal with a tire trailer and swapping wheels. They do suck in the rain though so caution is certainly advised.
This is great advice, plus buy a second set of wheels (oem takeoffs for cheap from someone who upgraded) for your track tires. Since you’ll be wanting to switch to racing brake pads for the track soon enough if not already, it’s no extra work to change wheels too, and you keep your nice street wheels & Michelins from getting ruined at the track.

Quick Reply: Front tire edges chunking - Roll bar or Wait to Consult with Driving Instructor?