Sponsored by:

Sebring with Chin 12/15/19 PB

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 04:44 PM
JaxEddie
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sebring with Chin 12/15/19 PB

Thanks to the rennlisters I have made significant lap time improvements, in my 991.1 GT3, and wanted to take a minute to document this for other drivers that may have similar goals.
I was stuck at 2:21 for a year after making mono ball, spring, and DSC upgrades. I put on Hoosier R7's and did some in car coaching working, exclusively on turn 17, and pulled out consistent 2:17's.

I'm open for criticism on my line or any particular help that you feel may help. Ed

Old 12-18-2019, 06:03 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 428 Posts

Not an expert by any means but based on my experience you are leaving time in T1. My Vmin Turn 1 in a stock 718 Cayman GTS on street tires, RE71-R, is 85 mph.

Peter
The following users liked this post:
JaxEddie (12-19-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 06:50 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

That's real quick in a .1gt3 on Hoosiers
Old 12-18-2019, 08:56 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 500 Posts

Wow - amazing what these GT3s can do. Some minor pointers:
- earlier throttle out of T1 and free up the steering a bit more as you hit the second bump post apex
- the car is very unsettled in the T7 brake zone. Stay a car width off the left side of the track as you initiate brake and aim for your usual turn-in point
- earlier throttle out of T7
- use all the track coming out of T10 (you are pinching the exit)
- earlier throttle out of T13 as the rising pavement post apex will allow for it
- be more careful in Bishops Bend and open the steering a bit more
- earlier throttle coming out of T16 and take all of the apex curbing
- you should increase your min speed a bit in T17 and apply throttle earlier
JaxEddie (12-19-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 09:34 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good driving
in addition to everything above IMO you're a bit too early in T17 and as a result struggling through the mid-corner and late throttle at the exit of T18 (or 17B)
and try to keep the visor down
just my .02 cents

Last edited by lipamax; 12-19-2019 at 10:32 PM.
JaxEddie (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 12:38 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by lipamax
good driving
in addition to everything above IMO you're a bit too early in T17 and as a result struggling through the mid-corner and late throttle at the exit of T18 (or 17A)
and try to keep the visor down
just my .02 cents
In addition to the above bold text, I’d Ike’s to see you be more aggressive in turn 1, getting closer to the inside wall with a slightly later turn in and an earlier throttle application.

At turn 10, I’d track out about 1/3 car width more into 11a and try to get right up against the (late) apex of 11b. It will help your entry into 13 and should help your confidence carrying more speed through there.

Turn 17... you’ll get a lot of advice here as you know already but my preferred approach is to treat it as a very significant double apex corner. 17a is taken by rolling onto the brake from about the 3 cone while turning in to get your right mirror about an inch away from the inside wall just after the flag station and then quickly starting your trail braking/threshold braking as you transition to the eventual turn in for 17b. If you’ve done it right you can be WOT just after the bridge and can just barely start opening your hands to track out at the end of the corner
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Roblin:
JaxEddie (12-19-2019), ProCoach (01-06-2020)
Old 12-19-2019, 08:59 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 631 Likes on 311 Posts

Damn doing 140 into turns 1 and 7 and 150 into turn 17 those cars make incredible power for a street car, one of the reason some DE instructors are intimidated and nervous about getting into the right seat, Ed keep getting seat time and trust the car at more speed in turn 1 mid 80s mph should be doable.
Nice driving
Rich
Old 12-19-2019, 10:12 AM
JaxEddie
Advanced

Wow awesome advice guys! Thank you!
Old 12-19-2019, 04:22 PM
UCFJWH
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I was there too, in a chalk .2 GT3. I also have the R7s and have just gotten to mid 19s. I want to compare your data to mine but I struggled on 16 all weekend and my Vmin was 52 and anything faster I was getting terrible over steer. However, our speed at bishops was very close and entry and exit. Do you have any detail for how your suspension is set up? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:26 PM
JaxEddie
Advanced

Originally Posted by UCFJWH
Thanks for sharing. I was there too, in a chalk .2 GT3. I also have the R7s and have just gotten to mid 19s. I want to compare your data to mine but I struggled on 16 all weekend and my Vmin was 52 and anything faster I was getting terrible over steer. However, our speed at bishops was very close and entry and exit. Do you have any detail for how your suspension is set up? Thanks in advance.
Sure. I have the stage 4 emotion engineering package. https://www.emotionengineering.co/pa...udicrous-speed
My set up is -3F -2.8R. about 1 degree toe out F and 2 degrees toe in rear.
Middle bar F and R

The car feels balanced to me. I had a pro driver in my car at RA and SIR and they said the car felt balanced as well with these settings.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:29 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,519 Likes on 802 Posts

Some very nice laps! I won't rehash some of the other very sound advice you have received here. A couple of additional observations:

-definitely over-slowing in 17...remember, when you turn in and hold that steering input, front tire scrub also kills speed...and continues to slow you until you are able to get to WOT...you don't need as much brake as your eyes tell you...

-in 1, there are many many approaches...in a hooked-up car like yours on sticky rubber, I like to start turn in a bit sooner, but with less steering angle...get closer to the wall sooner...and stay along it, extending the apex...and use less steering all the way around...which enables less initial braking and more mid corner and exit speed

-in 7, get all the way in, use every inch of the apex rumble strip and roll around it so you're really using the latter 2/3 of it fully...this will enable you to begin unwinding steering sooner with more throttle, and be straighter sooner...which means more exit speed

-in Bishops, manually upshift to 5h gear as you are all the way track right as you bend into the big arc...and you'll be a lot more confident using WOT all the way until you brake

-big picture issue...use a lot more of the apex rumble strips all the way around...it opens up the radius of the corners and allows you to begin freeing up steering sooner

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 12-20-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:41 AM
JaxEddie
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Some very nice laps! I won't rehash some of the other very sound advice you have received here. A couple of additional observations:

-definitely over-slowing in 17...remember, when you turn in and hold that steering input, front tire scrub also kills speed...and continues to slow you until you are able to get to WOT...you don't need as much brake as your eyes tell you...

-in 1, there are many many approaches...in a hooked-up car like yours on sticky rubber, I like to start turn in a bit sooner, but with less steering angle...get closer to the wall sooner...and stay along it, extending the apex...and use less steering all the way around...which enables less initial braking and more mid corner and exit speed

-in 7, get all the way in, use every inch of the apex rumble strip and roll around it so you're really using the latter 2/3 of it fully...this will enable you to begin unwinding steering sooner with more throttle, and be straighter sooner...which means more exit speed

-in Bishops, manually upshift to 5h gear as you are all the way track right as you bend into the big arc...and you'll be a lot more confident using WOT all the way until you brake

-big picture issue...use a lot more of the apex rumble strips all the way around...it opens up the radius of the corners and allows you to begin freeing up steering sooner

Keep up the good work!
All this makes a ton of sense. Thank you! Can't waiting to implement these tips. I must say I had to read your reply at least 10 X's as your profile picture is quite distracting Talking
Old 12-20-2019, 11:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,519 Likes on 802 Posts

Haha yes she is
Old 12-20-2019, 11:59 AM
UCFJWH
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that. KNowing your suspension is so different than mine takes some of the sting out of how much faster you are getting through 16.
Saltybrad (12-20-2019)
Old 01-06-2020, 08:19 AM
JaxEddie
Advanced

I’m happy to announce I broke into the 2:15’s barely but still... I tried to take as much advice from the helpers on this thread as possible. Specifically I tried entering turn one sooner and staying on my apexes longer. Turn 7 off the left in brake zone. And 5th gear entering bishops. Following the apexes around if you will. As usual feel free to critique.
ProCoach (01-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Sebring with Chin 12/15/19 PB