Sponsored by:

Sim Racers, got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 02:56 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
ill give ya one lesson I learned if your building. 7th generation i7 == 7700k i7. 9th generation i7 == 9700. I didnt understand that and now I have a spare cpu to hopefully return.
I know....right now my plan is a bit more aggressive but also expensive: i9 coupled with a good 2080Ti GPU....but the options are driving me crazy. I have been out of the custom PC market a very long time.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:04 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the input ProCoach. Seems like they may have worked the bugs out of the D1 & D2, whatever the issue was at original launch. I like the new wheels that are coming, and as I understand it, a software interface that should make fine tuning a bit more easy as I'm not a computer guru.

This could get expensive. Given the torque of a direct drive wheel, I'll need a more stable platform.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorTT
Thanks for the input ProCoach. Seems like they may have worked the bugs out of the D1 & D2, whatever the issue was at original launch. I like the new wheels that are coming, and as I understand it, a software interface that should make fine tuning a bit more easy as I'm not a computer guru.

This could get expensive. Given the torque of a direct drive wheel, I'll need a more stable platform.
All of this, for sure. Like most hardware makers, the early release of new gen products unmask bugs, but it's been more than a year now, so I feel good.

Fact, on that stable platform need observation!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-05-2019, 04:14 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Speaking of computers it doesn't seem like you need a massive setup but I'm seeing some serious hardware being referenced. If my plan is to use VR will this suffice?:

9th Gen Intel® Core(TM) i7-9700
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti
Old 11-05-2019, 04:23 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Speaking of computers it doesn't seem like you need a massive setup but I'm seeing some serious hardware being referenced. If my plan is to use VR will this suffice?:

From the limited reading I have done it looks like getting the best GPU and good amount of memory are a must coupled with the latest generation of the i7 and up, specially for VR.
My plan is to use a headset like the Pimax 8KX which can upscale to 4K or use native 4K signal...for that you will need a heavy duty PC.
Plus if the other VR headsets up the performance you will be ready to handle the power requirements.
Nothing worst that an image that is not up to par with the Sim....
Old 11-05-2019, 04:30 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
All of this, for sure. Like most hardware makers, the early release of new gen products unmask bugs, but it's been more than a year now, so I feel good.

Fact, on that stable platform need observation!
Fanatec has a horrible reputation for reliability if you peruse other forums. Not much complaining about price/performance.. more about the need for lengthy downtimes for equipment that fails. From what I have read, it isn't just the mechanical bits that fail... it's soldering on boards and silly things that imply a poor quality. I am only relaying what I have read in numerous areas.

That's why I went with the Simucube 2 instead. Too much of a risk to spend on a high dollar Fanatec item. I'm sorry to bring this up.. this is the reputation they have build across many people in many forums. I am sure individuals have better/good luck. I may still pick up their shifter.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:33 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Yes. 27s are the sweet spot. These are popular: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27...?skuId=5293502. They go on sale periodically. Make sure you get ones made Around the same time and same revision. These are n sync that work with nvidia GPU. Need to use display port cords for g sync.

Not sure why these monitors are recommended. They are TN panels at a very high price. The issue with TN panels is that they wash out with higher viewing angles. While they have excellent response/refresh rates, which is a benefit for FPS gaming, I'm not sure having them at a 45" angle wouldn't just drive me crazy.

For less money, you can get an IPS based panel with G-synch and high refresh rates from a company like Asus (PG27). I own 3 of them and the color accuracy is superb as are the viewing angles. The only downside is that they suffer from IPS bleed-through - not an issue unless you plan on watching movies.

Also, Samsung makes a mega wide monitor that some use for driving (it is curved). While it is pretty cool, I have also seen that the colors washout quite dramatically as you move your head and look side-to-side. It all depends on how much stuff like that bothers you.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch

Yes, both will work fine. The CPU, especially well.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/360538...s-cards-for-vr
Old 11-05-2019, 07:01 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I like Ricmotech a lot. Have used some of their pedal upgrades on less expensive OE Logi and TM pedals with good results. Have not used the hydraulic set they make.
And they offer overhung version: https://www.ricmotech.com/RealGear_G...-gtpp1sw-s.htm
Old 11-05-2019, 09:17 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
they look good. Only thing for me is that they talk about how the clutch does not feel like a street clutch. I race a street car so I want that feeling
Old 11-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
Not sure why these monitors are recommended. They are TN panels at a very high price. The issue with TN panels is that they wash out with higher viewing angles. While they have excellent response/refresh rates, which is a benefit for FPS gaming, I'm not sure having them at a 45" angle wouldn't just drive me crazy.

For less money, you can get an IPS based panel with G-synch and high refresh rates from a company like Asus (PG27). I own 3 of them and the color accuracy is superb as are the viewing angles. The only downside is that they suffer from IPS bleed-through - not an issue unless you plan on watching movies.

Also, Samsung makes a mega wide monitor that some use for driving (it is curved). While it is pretty cool, I have also seen that the colors washout quite dramatically as you move your head and look side-to-side. It all depends on how much stuff like that bothers you.
They are highly liked on the iRacing forums. And, they can be had for like $400. I have had no issues with viewing angles. I did drop one though. Bounced off the floor and works fine (except for a line of dead pixels from catching the profile). Like it literally bounced off the hardwood floors in my living room.

need to complete race room
Old 11-05-2019, 10:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 739 Posts

What has the most tracks, and is the best to simulate driving an 2019RS?
Rig, steering wheel with flappy shifter paddles, pedals, screens/VR goggles?

i have a year to sort this out, building house, current house no room.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:03 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
What has the most tracks, and is the best to simulate driving an 2019RS?
Rig, steering wheel with flappy shifter paddles, pedals, screens/VR goggles?

i have a year to sort this out, building house, current house no room.

if you have ample budget...besides the PC of your choice...I will probably go with this list.
Everyone feel free to comment on them as this is still a research project till January:

Chassis: SimLabs P1-X
Pedals: Either HKs or the Ricmotech Hydraulic I mentioned earlier
Wheel Base: Simucube Pro (ultimate I think is a bit overkill)
Steering wheels: Personal preference but kind of like the Sim Racing Bay GT3 because it connects wireless to SimuCube....could also do some Fanatec with the Adapter from Sim Racing Machines
Optional but I may also added it is an H pattern Shifter.....on that one don''t have much info, the one from Fanatec sound interesting as it can switch from sequential to H with a switch on the shifter.

I will probably go with VR (hopefully will not get sick) as it does save me the 3 monitor space which will be a tight fit on my home office. This is an area you need to be careful as there are various players out there with great specs at least on paper.
I'm waiting some time to see how the Pimax 8KX does with users...if not the HP model is a good candidate. Keeping my eye on the refresh rate and resolution.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:59 AM
MSWNCity
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
if you have ample budget...besides the PC of your choice...I will probably go with this list.
Everyone feel free to comment on them as this is still a research project till January:

Chassis: SimLabs P1-X
Pedals: Either HKs or the Ricmotech Hydraulic I mentioned earlier
Wheel Base: Simucube Pro (ultimate I think is a bit overkill)
Steering wheels: Personal preference but kind of like the Sim Racing Bay GT3 because it connects wireless to SimuCube....could also do some Fanatec with the Adapter from Sim Racing Machines
Optional but I may also added it is an H pattern Shifter.....on that one don''t have much info, the one from Fanatec sound interesting as it can switch from sequential to H with a switch on the shifter.

I will probably go with VR (hopefully will not get sick) as it does save me the 3 monitor space which will be a tight fit on my home office. This is an area you need to be careful as there are various players out there with great specs at least on paper.
I'm waiting some time to see how the Pimax 8KX does with users...if not the HP model is a good candidate. Keeping my eye on the refresh rate and resolution.
When I was setting up my SIM last year I made two of my equipment choices partly because they offered easier set up software. The Accuforce wheel and the Heusinkveld Sprint brake components come with setup software that is easier for the first time SIM builder to navigate. If you think that building the SIM hardware is time consuming wait until you try to calibrate the components and the games. Now I don't know about all the current offerings but I think as a first time builder you should weigh the value of the software in your decisions. Performance being equal go with the most user friendly interface.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:07 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MSWNCity
When I was setting up my SIM last year I made two of my equipment choices partly because they offered easier set up software. The Accuforce wheel and the Heusinkveld Sprint brake components come with setup software that is easier for the first time SIM builder to navigate. If you think that building the SIM hardware is time consuming wait until you try to calibrate the components and the games. Now I don't know about all the current offerings but I think as a first time builder you should weigh the value of the software in your decisions. Performance being equal go with the most user friendly interface.

Thanks for the advice and "user Friendly Setup" sure will weight on my decision....the Ricmotech pedals have pretty good reviews on their website in term of setup and support...the pedals do have an interface box that it's used for the calibration instead of using software, not sure if this would simplify or just complicate things. Got to keep doing that research!

Quick Reply: Sim Racers, got some questions