Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts
Default F1...Miami...2021

https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/...r-than-austin/

I wonder where this will leave COTA?
Old 10-16-2019, 05:46 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

They’ve been working towards two US GP’s per season, first was New Jersey (lol) so maybe we will finally get two with this one.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:33 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 922 Posts

Two is better than one but NJ track would've been so much more.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:37 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

COTA president said it will hurt their attendance in the first year for sure but he is confident they will be fine in the following years. He basically said building the track and doing the first race is the easy part. I can see that. I don't see how 4 North American races can all be successful and F1 hasn't done itself many favors in the competition arena but the Netflix series was a brilliant move that might help a bit. I stopped watching. I DVR every race, take a look at the news after the race has aired and then decide if I will watch. Even though I am a Hamilton fan I have no desire to watch him dominate anymore.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,881 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

West of Miami.

Like where it always was.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:46 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

LOL.. Good job kxan.com..... it's FORMULA 1, maybe steal less data from your site visitors?

Our European visitors are important to us.

This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:05 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

It looks like they will run at the Joe Robbie stadium (dolphins)
https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/mi...ement/4558674/

-that's a decent location, and doable.. There was talk about building a track in Opa locka... that was a terrible location.

Fact is when they ran the grand prix downtown, it was like Monaco. Ferry shuttles from fisher island,/ Miami beach, yachts lined trackside, hotels full, parties on rooftops. it was quite a show!

A track layout which uses mostly car parks and land owned by the stadium, best known as the home of the Miami Dolphins, has been designed.

However, it also includes around half a mile of public roads along Northwest 199th Street, to the south of the stadium.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:05 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
COTA president said it will hurt their attendance in the first year for sure but he is confident they will be fine in the following years. He basically said building the track and doing the first race is the easy part. I can see that. I don't see how 4 North American races can all be successful and F1 hasn't done itself many favors in the competition arena but the Netflix series was a brilliant move that might help a bit. I stopped watching. I DVR every race, take a look at the news after the race has aired and then decide if I will watch. Even though I am a Hamilton fan I have no desire to watch him dominate anymore.
I'm sorry to be the pessimist here, but Bernie Eccelstone cast the blueprint many moons ago on how things are done in F1.... This will be leverage against COTA for USGP rights and to a lesser extent leverage against the Mexican GP and even less to the Canadian GP. There is NO WAY they do 2 USGPs. They struggle to even do 1 in Germany!

I stopped watching last year and early this year, but the emergence of Ferrari and to a lesser extent Red Bull, has given the races less predictability. We really don't know who is going to win now and that's the whole point of watching.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:15 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

I think COTA will be just fine. There was supposed to be doom and gloom after the Mexican race was held so close to US GP, but from what I see on TV the attendance seems to keep building and building. The real problem with COTA is it's position on the calendar. WCC and WDC are usually already decided (like this year, again) or close to it by the time it's 'our' turn on the racing programme. IMO anyway... it's what usually stops me from going, after being there for the debut in 2012.
Yes Germany may be able to only pull 1 race, but how much bigger geographically is the US? They built COTA in the 'center' to try and alleviate this but having something on the East Coast will only help things IMO and I'm sure Miami itself will be a draw for foreigners flying over for the race(s).
Old 10-17-2019, 10:28 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh no, is this going to be another one of those awful temporary street race courses?

Anytime a pro spectator event is run on a temporary course of any type, it siphons away capital that could have been used to upgrade permanent road courses that benefit the club racing and DE crowd like us.

In my opinion the only street race that should exist is Monaco just because it is too much of a tradition to give up. All the rest are crap, and negatively impact our interests.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:41 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I would much rather see them ripping around Road America or Watkins Glen than another parking lot/street temporary autocross course.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:54 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Would they run the event in late NOV after COTA?
Definitely a flat street circuit, but the roads are all fairly new and good, they could make it F1 quality.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9590...=en&authuser=0

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9549...=en&authuser=0

-I just notice a big kart event in lot 14 (SE corner)
Old 10-19-2019, 09:20 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

I see 4 hairpin turns.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:20 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Its not a done deal at all. Pushback from Miami Gardens residents and city commision.
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/n...236237513.html
-----

Originally, the plan was for F-1 to race on a downtown Miami street course. But that was scrapped due to concerns about business interruptions. The three-month construction of the racetrack every year on city streets would have caused big headaches for PortMiami, the Florida East Coast Railway, the Miami Heat, and other businesses and residents along Biscayne Boulevard.

So that’s when organizers turned their attention to Hard Rock Stadium and its surrounding grounds, all of which are owned by Stephen Ross. He would cover all race costs, including an expected $40 million custom track that would run predominantly on the Hard Rock Stadium grounds thus making the Formula One race eligible for a marquee-event grant per a 2014 agreement with the county.

Discussions began this year with F-1 and Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez. They remain ongoing.

Organizers have heard the concerns of those opposed but point out that the stadium location offers a racecourse design that is mostly self-contained on the stadium site, requiring only limited use of Northwest 199th Street and a fraction of the construction work that would have been required by the downtown plan.

“Hosting the race at the stadium site limits the work that has to be done to public streets, which means very little disruption to surrounding residents and businesses as we prepare for the race,” Bratches said.

--------
https://www.racefans.net/2019/10/17/...so-much-to-f1/
Another surprising aspect to the announcement is the suggested May 2021 date for the inaugural race, for this points to two Atlantic crossings in as many months given that Canada’s round is generally staged in June, a fortnight after the Monaco Grand Prix.

Quick Reply: F1...Miami...2021