Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring Winterfest Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019 | 05:40 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steved0x
No, you can't see your instructor's eval, at least for any of the events I have done through clubreg as a student, and as an instructor, I can't see the student's feedback either.
I guess i can understand that. But it also sucks at the same time. I appreciate constructive criticism.
Old 10-16-2019 | 12:36 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Mbren1979, check out Chin Track Days. Best track organization going and there a few Sebring dates you can register for this year.

chintrackdays.com
Old 10-16-2019 | 02:21 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

OP

I did PBOC winterfest once (2019) as an instructor. During the 3 days my total track time was under two hours combined. THAT'S RIGHT---I spent about $1800 and three days away from home for a whopping 90 minutes on track.

Here's how it went down: The winterfest event had over 400 cars and two race run groups. Then, they had a single instructor group and then finally a single student group---ALL levels of students combined.

Well, unsurprisingly, most of the crashes/black flags were in the race groups. But instead of taking the time out of the race sessions, they just shortchanged the student group and instructors group.

Based on the above, If it were me, I would get a refund of the $495 and spend it on a Chin event. For a couple of hundred dollars more you can get 7 (SEVEN) hours of track time over two days
It's much more fun to learn a new track in small run groups (Chin events cap out at about 100 drivers /instructors total.)

Good luck! You'll LOVE Sebring. It's one of my favorite tracks.
Old 10-16-2019 | 09:24 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
Question for you then. Once my instructor goes into ClubRegistration.net and does my evaluation will it be something view-able to me? I see where i went in and did my eval/notes on him as an instructor.
Only someone with Admin rights can access the instructor/student feedback. Typically this person is the Registrar for the event. Maybe try emailing them to see if they can share the information with you.
Old 10-16-2019 | 11:35 AM
steved0x
Pro

Sadly this was exactly my experience the one time I did PBOC Winterfest in 2016 as a student. Tons of cars, and several of the HPDE sessions cut short due to crashes and delays in the race groups. I left before lunch on Sunday and skipped my last few sessions. The 1 time I did NASA at Road Atlanta it was the same, and so I now personally prefer to not to go HPDE events that are combined with racing and time trials.

If it is your 2nd time on track, these probably won't have as much of an impact on you, as it is probably still new and (at least it was for me) still pretty overwhelming I felt that I was going to be 2nd coming of Mario Andretti my first time and was barely able to get a Mario Kart.

Originally Posted by Dr911
OP

I did PBOC winterfest once (2019) as an instructor. During the 3 days my total track time was under two hours combined. THAT'S RIGHT---I spent about $1800 and three days away from home for a whopping 90 minutes on track.

Here's how it went down: The winterfest event had over 400 cars and two race run groups. Then, they had a single instructor group and then finally a single student group---ALL levels of students combined.

Well, unsurprisingly, most of the crashes/black flags were in the race groups. But instead of taking the time out of the race sessions, they just shortchanged the student group and instructors group.

Based on the above, If it were me, I would get a refund of the $495 and spend it on a Chin event. For a couple of hundred dollars more you can get 7 (SEVEN) hours of track time over two days
It's much more fun to learn a new track in small run groups (Chin events cap out at about 100 drivers /instructors total.)

Good luck! You'll LOVE Sebring. It's one of my favorite tracks.
Old 10-16-2019 | 11:46 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steved0x
Sadly this was exactly my experience the one time I did PBOC Winterfest in 2016 as a student. Tons of cars, and several of the HPDE sessions cut short due to crashes and delays in the race groups. I left before lunch on Sunday and skipped my last few sessions. The 1 time I did NASA at Road Atlanta it was the same, and so I now personally prefer to not to go HPDE events that are combined with racing and time trials.

If it is your 2nd time on track, these probably won't have as much of an impact on you, as it is probably still new and (at least it was for me) still pretty overwhelming I felt that I was going to be 2nd coming of Mario Andretti my first time and was barely able to get a Mario Kart.
I am hearing this type of comment more and more about Winterfest. I really am considering canceling it. I have no intentions on ever doing this as any type of pro level. I just want to go out and enjoy the car. Not looking to be put in situations where there are too many cars on the track and potential dangerous conditions due to stupidity. I get racing is dangerous in itself. But i don't feel like adding too it. I think i may just wait till next February when my PCA region does Roebling again. After that i will just do PCA HPDE events as it seems they tend to have less cars on the track per run group and are a very friendly inviting environment.

I also can easily recognize that i started off better than most for my first ever track session. It was unbelieveable at how many people were coming up to talk to me about how i was doing and how quickly they moved me to the blue group. Although i know it can easily go to peoples heads, i stay very humble and understand that as i may be great in green, and decent in blue. I'm still running training wheels and diapers. I would rather go out, stay humble, and come home in a nice car than get cocky and put it into a wall, trees, or take out another car.
Old 10-16-2019 | 03:12 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

One important thing I should add:

PBOC itself is a fun group to run with. My other events with them went swimmingly.
Although these did have two race groups, but because the number of cars was fewer the likelihood of incidents decreased.
The organizers are good folks, and overall do a good job.
Other than Winterfest, I'd recommend running with them.
The following users liked this post:
mrbill_fl (10-17-2019)
Old 10-16-2019 | 03:25 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

I am hearing this type of comment more and more about Winterfest. I really am considering canceling it. I have no intentions on ever doing this as any type of pro level. I just want to go out and enjoy the car. Not looking to be put in situations where there are too many cars on the track and potential dangerous conditions due to stupidity. I get racing is dangerous in itself. But i don't feel like adding too it. I think i may just wait till next February when my PCA region does Roebling again. After that i will just do PCA HPDE events as it seems they tend to have less cars on the track per run group and are a very friendly inviting environment.

I also can easily recognize that i started off better than most for my first ever track session. It was unbelieveable at how many people were coming up to talk to me about how i was doing and how quickly they moved me to the blue group. Although i know it can easily go to peoples heads, i stay very humble and understand that as i may be great in green, and decent in blue. I'm still running training wheels and diapers. I would rather go out, stay humble, and come home in a nice car than get cocky and put it into a wall, trees, or take out another car.

Great attitude. You will learn a lot and have FUN FUN FUN!

The suggestion consider a Suncoast event is a good one. Their classroom sessions are good and instructors are generally good. They still have large numbers registered, but fewer than the Winterfest roster. Personally, I don't love DE's with them, but they do a GREAT job with the Club Races and most people seem to enjoy running DE with them.

If your car can be ready in time, that is a good option.
I don't know about you...but waiting months until my next track day would have killed me...I was back on track 5 days after my very first DE.
Old 10-16-2019 | 03:33 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr911
Great attitude. You will learn a lot and have FUN FUN FUN!

The suggestion consider a Suncoast event is a good one. Their classroom sessions are good and instructors are generally good. They still have large numbers registered, but fewer than the Winterfest roster. Personally, I don't love DE's with them, but they do a GREAT job with the Club Races and most people seem to enjoy running DE with them.

If your car can be ready in time, that is a good option.
I don't know about you...but waiting months until my next track day would have killed me...I was back on track 5 days after my very first DE.
Couldn't agree more. As a newbie the problem i see is there isn't anyone or anything to help guide you through all of this. I have been with my local Porsche club (Citrus Region) for only about 2 months, maybe 3. I wan't even aware until this weekend that i could join any other regions events. I wish there was a guide posted somewhere that was like "So you wanna go racing? Click here for more info". I kinda felt the same way at the DE. Didn't know what to expect the night before, no real guidance. I am really a shy person who won't just jump out there and introduce my self. Thankfully my instructor was the complete opposite. I noticed most of the instructors only spent a lot of time with their students when it was time to run. Mine literally spent the entire weekend with me including the classroom stuff. He even took me around and introduced me to at least half the people at the event. If it wasn't for him i would have been lost. Hopefully my next event instructor will be the same.
Old 10-17-2019 | 10:04 AM
steved0x
Pro

As a newbie the problem i see is there isn't anyone or anything to help guide you through all of this.
Here's a couple of fun videos that cover some of this:

Also a lot of track day events listed here (unfortunately not PCA but they are working on it )

https://hpdejunkie.com/
Old 10-17-2019 | 10:13 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Seen both videos. Been watching the AMMO channel for years. I think time under my belt is more of what i need.
Old 10-17-2019 | 10:43 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Question for you then. Once my instructor goes into ClubRegistration.net and does my evaluation will it be something view-able to me? I see where i went in and did my eval/notes on him as an instructor.
Back when I was a student (not too long ago), I was always able to see my instructors eval of me on MSR or CR.
I always got an email showing me the link to my eval within a day or 2 of the event.
To this day, I still like logging in to Driver Evals and looking back at some of those Evals of me from the very start of my addiction. Let's me know how far I've come and how bad I still suck. Good stuff...
Welcome to the slippery slope. My advice to you....RUN!!!!
Old 10-17-2019 | 10:46 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Back when I was a student (not too long ago), I was always able to see my instructors eval of me on MSR or CR.
I always got an email showing me the link to my eval within a day or 2 of the event.
To this day, I still like logging in to Driver Evals and looking back at some of those Evals of me from the very start of my addiction. Let's me know how far I've come and how bad I still suck. Good stuff...
Welcome to the slippery slope. My advice to you....RUN!!!!
I am!!!! To the internet for advice, parts, tires and then running to the drivers seat!!!
Old 10-17-2019 | 10:48 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I am!!!! To the internet for advice, parts, tires and then running to the drivers seat!!!
Yup. Just as I thought. You are in trouble my friend. Big trouble!!
Old 10-17-2019 | 10:50 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Yup. Just as I thought. You are in trouble my friend. Big trouble!!
What makes it worse is MY WIFE IS SUPPORTING IT!!!
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (10-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Sebring Winterfest Newbie Question