Sponsored by:

Escape plans

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 04:52 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Escape plans

A friend of mine had a brake booster failure at SP recently and was faced with a decision of how to manage the moment. It has lead to a discussion amongst a few of us about escape plans and what factors to consider in making them. So, using his circumstances as the example:

Summit Point Main front straight into turn 1, car ahead of you sufficiently close that you go to brakes earlier than normal, about the 4 board. You are going about 125 when you go to brakes and then there is a POP noise and the brake pedal goes to the floor. Going about 95 mph at this point.

You have 100+ days on track and have a pretty good sense of car control and a feel for how the car will react to inputs at this speed.

Do you go for the gravel trap and tire wall beyond or give the access road to the vacant skid pad a shot?
Old 10-06-2019, 05:55 PM
ricardofors
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go for the gravel just because I know people hang around that road and would not want to get anyone else involved in my dilemma.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I'd go for the access road. The wall does not have a good success rate.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-06-2019, 08:46 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

If your in control...big if....ask me how i know in turn 1.

I still would go for the access road and attempt to slow down, also gives you more time,
Buuut....if you dont feel your slowing at all.....gravel isnt a terrible idea.

Not sure if there is a right anwser, but, having a plan is a good one.

My wreck i for some reason had several thoughts .....save it save it save it....ummm well time to save yourself and let go....hugged my self
Brought my feet up
And then for whatever reason thought of the blue angel high g roll AGSM (hook maneuver). And did it.

I vividly remember all three rolls,
In the ambulance he asked how many times i rolled while taking my blood pressure.....i said 3, he laughed and said they called that in and then was basically saying you are way to calm to have been thru that.

Pretty sure keeping my arms and legs in helped alot.

Knowing when to let go.....thats the hardest choice ive made.

Good topic to have forethought on
Old 10-06-2019, 09:22 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,013 Posts

If you're 100% sure that the skid pad, as well as the access road itself, is 100% clear and vacant, I'd say the access road.

Good thing to think about. Good topic..
Old 10-06-2019, 09:49 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Just don't try to cut the corner to the left of the access road. There's a jump there.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:29 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
Just don't try to cut the corner to the left of the access road. There's a jump there.
But wings were designed to PREVENT flight, so that’s a plus...
Old 10-07-2019, 08:58 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

95 mph and no brakes??? I'm probably aiming for the gravel, trying to keep the car straight to let my safety equipment work if I make it to the wall.

That access road veers left, is usually covered in marbles, and the opening in the wall beyond it isn't very wide. There's a chance your car rotates ccw and you broadside the wall. I think that happened to a Mazda several years ago, and the outcome wasn't pretty. Even if you make it through the wall onto the skid pad, there's nothing to catch you on the other side. At that point you're probably running into trees at ~80mph.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:10 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

This poses an interesting thought that I have been toying with. What if we had a secondary fail safe system, Lets say a "one time" way to lock up the brakes? Simple secondary stand alone master cyl the "T" ed into the rear brake line with a check valve... Much like a parking brake but it would get a hold of the rears and just lock them up allowing the ability to still steer the car. Granted the Rear tires would be totally flat spotted... But might save your bacon? Food for thought. Kind of like a rally car.. Don't want to Hijack the thread, Im sure this has gone through everyone's mind, especially people like me who have dedicated track cars and have deleted the E-brake all together..
Old 10-07-2019, 09:37 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GPA951s
especially people like me who have dedicated track cars and have deleted the E-brake all together..
This is why I always pass you as quickly as possible and get the hell away from your car as fast as I can.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:50 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
This is why I always pass you as quickly as possible and get the hell away from your car as fast as I can.
LOL You do realize that if someone's brakes fail... in front of them is where you DONT want to be... Didn't we all think that initially after seeing some mustang torpedoing a gt3?

No Worries, Id Stuff it before I hit Bumblebee anyhow..
Old 10-07-2019, 11:55 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a good topic that should be covered in DE driver's meetings: where are there places on the track to look for if things go bad? It's only been covered by a couple of my instructors and I think we could all be safer if we knew the places to head for (or avoid!) if we have something come up.
The following users liked this post:
cre8fun (10-16-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 11:59 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GPA951s
LOL You do realize that if someone's brakes fail... in front of them is where you DONT want to be...
In front of them, no. FAR in front of them, absolutely!!
Old 10-07-2019, 12:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by mbean
This is a good topic that should be covered in DE driver's meetings: where are there places on the track to look for if things go bad? It's only been covered by a couple of my instructors and I think we could all be safer if we knew the places to head for (or avoid!) if we have something come up.
Agreed 100%
Old 10-07-2019, 12:04 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Agreed 100%
The Orange Squares at The Glen are always talked about in the driver's meetings, at least with Niagara. Each time, every time.

Quick Reply: Escape plans