Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's this for "data"?? My laps of Mosport.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019 | 10:25 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Default How's this for "data"?? My laps of Mosport.

So... I don't run lap timers or anything so I don't have any real data for my runs. I just got a new computer though (upgraded from a Core 2 Quad, for the nerds out there) and I'm super excited about being able to edit videos beyond just stitching my 1-minute dashcam segments together into a single video.

I've now released my inner Spielberg and gone buck wild with the editing software.

Here's 4 laps from August of last year. I was hoping that putting them together would give me some idea of where I'm faster or slower in any particular area of the track and timing the videos gives me an idea of my laptimes... even if it's a year after the fact. It's followed by a video of the single fastest one because I've been told how hard it is to watch the split screen gibberish.

If this qualifies as a lap timer, then all I need now is track insurance and I WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wild Weasel:
911 Rod (09-04-2019), Nickshu (09-06-2019)
Old 09-03-2019 | 02:40 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Nice lap.

Skip the first apex at T2. That will open up the radius and allow the car to be pointed better mid-corner which will allow you to go back to throttle earlier.

Open your hands a bit more from apex in T3 - get outside before the exit curbing starts.

Earlier commitment to throttle in T4.

Open your hands more in T5c, let the car run right to the grass.

Let the car 'float' more up the back straight. For example, there's no benefit in holding the car 'in' at T7.

In general there's always time (depending on *****) in T8 but I can't hear your throttle.

Best to put the camera behind the driver so you can see inputs as well as line.

Nice driving!
The following users liked this post:
Wild Weasel (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019 | 03:01 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa

In general there's always time (depending on *****) in T8 but I can't hear your throttle.
HaHaHa Ain't THAT the truth........

OP: Heed all that Matt says--it's an old, tired cliche but he's forgotten more about Mosport than any of us know.

Gary
Wild Weasel (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019 | 04:41 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Thanks for all of this!!

Skip the first apex at T2. That will open up the radius and allow the car to be pointed better mid-corner which will allow you to go back to throttle earlier.
I've been told to get closer to the 2nd apex to be pointed more to the left and not end up way over to the far right on exit. I've been planning to try that. What you're suggesting sounds like it will set me up even better for that. I've always tried to have my left tires right in the ditch on the first apex. I'm wondering if I was taught that based on the different dynamics my Boxster had as I was learning...

Open your hands a bit more from apex in T3 - get outside before the exit curbing starts.
Interesting. T3 feels like there's no good way through it. You just drive around it with the tires screaming. I aim to be straight by the curbing. If I track out earlier, won't I be pointed at the grass? Or am I to follow the outside of the turn at the end for higher speed?

Earlier commitment to throttle in T4.
I've definitely improved in T4 since this video. Now I feel like it's all just about courage and I've had more after having an instructor take me out and show me what's possible. I always go into 4 thinking I'm going way too fast and then realize over the hill that I could have gone faster. My goal is to consistently go through it at 180+ km/h but keep over-breaking to between 160 and 170.

Open your hands more in T5c, let the car run right to the grass.
You're talking about the right side right? To follow the right side of the track up the back straight?

Let the car 'float' more up the back straight. For example, there's no benefit in holding the car 'in' at T7.
Interesting. Someone told me a few years back to hug the right side all the way up the back straight because I'm at full throttle and it's the shortest route. Am I scrubbing speed by not heading straight up the middle to where I want to be for 8?

One of the best lessons I ever had was an instructor telling me to use more throttle when my Boxster would get loose and I'd have to counter steer all through 8 in my Boxster. I LOVE turn 8, but you're right. I can definitely find a little more there.

Best to put the camera behind the driver so you can see inputs as well as line.
Some day I will. Right now I don't have anywhere to mount it. I wonder if my rear facing camera is too far away or if I could turn it around and get something useful out of it. I'll have to see it if's possible.

Nice driving!
Thanks. Always trying to learn... but having more fun than anyone has any business having out there.
Old 09-04-2019 | 11:45 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Nice driving
Wild Weasel (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019 | 01:15 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I always go into 4 thinking I'm going way too fast and then realize over the hill that I could have gone faster.
I have the same feeling/reaction at turn 4. Mind you I'm in a 944 NA, so feeling like I could be faster comes with the territory.
Wild Weasel (09-04-2019)

Quick Reply: How's this for "data"?? My laps of Mosport.