New Dunlop DOT race tires--

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 10:04 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dunlop SP Race R compound

These tires are really fabulous. Wear rating is 60. The MPSC has a rating of 80. Hoosier is 40. MPS2 is 200 I believe. Tested them on a GT3 2004 car at LRP last friday. Pressures hot appear to be in range of 38 lb rear, 36 lb front at LRP, with a stock ride height and stock alignment (-1.0, -1.25 front, -1.75 rear; 13mm toe in rear on each side). Car has no modifications.

The tires were progressive with plenty of warning. I found them to be quicker at LRP than the MPSC in similar conditions, same car/setup/driver. I found both the MPSC and the Dunlop to be quicker than the stock MPS2 tires as would be expected. The Dunlop comes delivered with 6mm tread whereas the MPSC is approx 4.7. Even at the end of the day, the wear on the Dunlop was essentially not noticable and appeared still to have a deeper tread than the MSPC when new. I suspect the Dunlop will be even quicker when tread is reduced. Tires are noisier on track than MSPC due to tread squirm because of depth. Tires feel like street tires when driving to an from track as part of the test. Dismounted rear driver tire to inspect for damage as rolled over onto sidewall slightly when in lower pressure ranges during the test. Tire inner carcass appears new without any visual evidence of damage or degradation.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Those of You excited about the new Hoosier should check with Hank Cohn about his experience this past weekend. I would question Hoosier extensively after getting Hanks experience with them before I ran the new ones....I hope Hank will add his thoughts but he may prefer to do so privately.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:45 PM
badkarma
Intermediate

Default Re: Dunlop SP Race R compound

Originally posted by ldw
These tires are really fabulous. Wear rating is 60. The MPSC has a rating of 80. Hoosier is 40. MPS2 is 200 I believe. Tested them on a GT3 2004 car at LRP last friday. Pressures hot appear to be in range of 38 lb rear, 36 lb front at LRP, with a stock ride height and stock alignment (-1.0, -1.25 front, -1.75 rear; 13mm toe in rear on each side). Car has no modifications.

The tires were progressive with plenty of warning. I found them to be quicker at LRP than the MPSC in similar conditions, same car/setup/driver. I found both the MPSC and the Dunlop to be quicker than the stock MPS2 tires as would be expected. The Dunlop comes delivered with 6mm tread whereas the MPSC is approx 4.7. Even at the end of the day, the wear on the Dunlop was essentially not noticable and appeared still to have a deeper tread than the MSPC when new. I suspect the Dunlop will be even quicker when tread is reduced. Tires are noisier on track than MSPC due to tread squirm because of depth. Tires feel like street tires when driving to an from track as part of the test. Dismounted rear driver tire to inspect for damage as rolled over onto sidewall slightly when in lower pressure ranges during the test. Tire inner carcass appears new without any visual evidence of damage or degradation.
Thanks for the input.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:56 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Glen
Those of You excited about the new Hoosier should check with Hank Cohn about his experience this past weekend. I would question Hoosier extensively after getting Hanks experience with them before I ran the new ones....I hope Hank will add his thoughts but he may prefer to do so privately.
ohh...hopefully Hank will shed some light on the issue. There is so much hype surrounding the new Hoosier that myself cannot wait to run them this summer.

Glen are you running slicks or MPSC's on your Supercup?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:44 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I am bumping this so You can see John H's new Hoosier experience. This sounds like the same problem Hank had.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:56 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Glen
I am bumping this so You can see John H's new Hoosier experience. This sounds like the same problem Hank had.

Thanks Glen. It looks like I'm sticking with the trusted MPSC's for the time being till Hoosier shorts this out... Besides, Robert H turned in my car with the MPSC's on a 1.55 at TWS which is not a bad time at all
Old 04-29-2004, 08:37 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Well, I've got a set "in the mail"and I'm gonna be at a WGI DE next week. Since I'm coming off MPSCs, I'll put some comments here.

First impression: They are less $$$$!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 10:42 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

These new Dunlops sound like they'd be very good for D.E., while the faster Hoosiers may be the way to go for the club racers.

BTW, does Bridgestone make a decent track tire? I have always liked the Bridgestone street tires.

Richard
'87 Carrera - 3.6L widebody
'93 968 M030
Old 04-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 139 Posts

Can someone elaborate on John H and Hank Cohn's new Hoosier experience?

I ran the new R3S04s at the RRII last weekend. They were stickey and when I would slide the car around on them in the infield section, they were very predictable. Once I got used to them after 2 years with MPSCs, I was really pleased.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:06 PM
eugene
Racer

Richard.

Bridgestone used to make a R compound track tire in the 80's / early 90's

RE71R. Same tread pattern as the street RE71. They were popular back then. As far as I know, they have not made a R compound since.

Eugene.

Quick Reply: New Dunlop DOT race tires--