Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reducing steering wheel load on a sports racer (or, why do I have sore lats?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 12:46 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Reducing steering wheel load on a sports racer (or, why do I have sore lats?)

Had a great track day on Saturday with my Radical SR4. It's an old car, but I'm having a blast. Just installed a paddle shift system last week and was surprised that my install lasted all day and didn't require any fiddling!

I was out for about 1.5 hours over four sessions. Was about 1-2 sec under best time in first session, then set personal bests in the sessions 2, 3 and then 4 (the last session). Finally hit 1:09 on this track.

Suffice to say, I was running pretty hard (for me), the car was working well. I had a great day.

Yesterday, I was a bit stiff in the AM, I could tell my neck had a lot of work the day before, and my upper body was a bit tight/sore.

This morning, deep breaths are a bit painful on the left side, below the armpit and going around to the back below the shoulder blade. I think it's my left lat muscles and a bit of my scapula that is really sore from steering.

The track was NJMP Lightning which has a long (about 15 secs), high speed (Vmin about 88 mph) right hander where the wheel is really loaded.

For me, I find that this corner gives me the most workout throughout the whole track and I think most of my soreness/pain is from fighting the wheel as I'm turning right.

I feel there are a few obvious things I need to do:
  1. Work out / improve conditioning. I don't work out at all (49 yo, slim build) so I need to improve my core and I'll start working on this. I'm going to start with these (https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/motors...-racing-driver) since I don't want to make time for the gym. We also have a Concept 1 at home that I'll start working on.
  2. Work on balancing steering load between arms, so I'm not always just pushing up with the outside arm, but also pulling down with the inside arm.

But, on the car front, is there anything I can do to help reduce the steering force?
  1. Caster -- I don't think I have a way to reduce front caster on my SR4, I'll double check, but I couldn't see anything obvious.
  2. Larger diameter steering wheel?
  3. Reduce steering ratio -- probably don't want to do this, not sure if the rack is changeable
  4. Power steering -- somewhat serious about this, but probably not feasible.

Would appreciate thoughts and advice on this...

Thanks,

John
Old 08-26-2019, 12:57 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

One thing to consider when steering wheel is how you're applying force. That is, if turning right, then right arm is pulling down versus left arm pushing up and vice versa.

That being said, I hear Radical's put a real hurting on your body, so you probably need to focus on conditioning. Sounds like a good pain!
Old 08-26-2019, 01:07 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Moose. I'm thinking the same thing.

Someone asked for a video, you'll see the long right hander at the beginning of the video here...

Old 08-26-2019, 01:29 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
  1. Work out / improve conditioning. I don't work out at all (49 yo, slim build) so I need to improve my core and I'll start working on this. I'm going to start with these (https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/motors...-racing-driver) since I don't want to make time for the gym. We also have a Concept 1 at home that I'll start working on.

John
There's your problem. You need to work out. Driving on a track is physical. It's not like driving to Walmart to pick up bags of Doritos.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:36 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

But, on the car front, is there anything I can do to help reduce the steering force?
  1. Caster -- I don't think I have a way to reduce front caster on my SR4, I'll double check, but I couldn't see anything obvious.
  2. Larger diameter steering wheel?
  3. Reduce steering ratio -- probably don't want to do this, not sure if the rack is changeable
  4. Power steering -- somewhat serious about this, but probably not feasible.
Are the front control arm inner attachments heim joints? If so you can reduce the caster by adjusting these. If all 4 points are adjustable you'd do the following:
1) Shorten the upper control arm forward point
2) Lengthen the upper control arm rear point
3) Shorten the lower control arm rear point
4) Lengthen the lower control arm forward point.
Otherwise, adjusting any of the above points would be helpful. The goal would be to minimize the angle of the imaginary line that connects the upper and lower ball joints at the upright (when looking at the car from the side).
Old 08-26-2019, 05:12 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

I had to put a bigger steering wheel in my car. Do you have power steering?
Old 08-26-2019, 05:55 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
There's your problem. You need to work out. Driving on a track is physical. It's not like driving to Walmart to pick up bags of Doritos.
Yeah, I know. I'm pretty active but avoid exercising/working out. I need to change this mindset!
Old 08-26-2019, 06:24 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi John, Radicals are defiantly a physical experience that you need to work up to. The most fun way to get in shape is to drive it more. An exercise program will help also. Your idea of balancing the load between arms is exactly correct. Also, in my Radical I found that my driving position allowed my left forearm (it is a left hand drive car) to touch the side of the cockpit and I could use that contact to have a little more leverage on the wheel while cornering. Also, Radicals typically have 255mm or 270mm round steering wheels, but many of the newer cars are using the optional Sparco F10A which is 310mm with an open top. The F10A has been getting very good reviews from drivers and provides a bit more leverage. Here is a link to a discussion on the topic.

https://radicalsportscarregistry.com...sr8/#post-1069

Charley
Old 08-26-2019, 06:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Reducing caster will hurt low speed mechanical grip.

Work out, it's better for you!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-26-2019, 06:43 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Reducing caster will hurt low speed mechanical grip.

Work out, it's better for you!
Not what I want to hear, but you are right!

Didn't realize that about the low speed mechanical grip, thanks Peter.

Originally Posted by CharleyH
Hi John, Radicals are defiantly a physical experience that you need to work up to. The most fun way to get in shape is to drive it more. An exercise program will help also. Your idea of balancing the load between arms is exactly correct. Also, in my Radical I found that my driving position allowed my left forearm (it is a left hand drive car) to touch the side of the cockpit and I could use that contact to have a little more leverage on the wheel while cornering. Also, Radicals typically have 255mm or 270mm round steering wheels, but many of the newer cars are using the optional Sparco F10A which is 310mm with an open top. The F10A has been getting very good reviews from drivers and provides a bit more leverage. Here is a link to a discussion on the topic.

https://radicalsportscarregistry.com...sr8/#post-1069

Charley
Thanks Charley. Looks like that wheel is a 3-bolt mount (3x50.8mm) so I'll check if that'll fit next time I'm with the car.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

I have a lot of folks that I work with go to larger diameter steering wheels. Works well.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:12 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

From an open wheel guy.
Working out helps but even when I've been in better shape my head and neck get sore after many relatively high g laps.
My steering feels heavy as well and my hands and wrists always get sore. Look at the pro racers when they are done with high g racing - their hands/wrists are sore! Indycars don't have power steering!
I'm a little concerned about the painful breathing on your left that you describe. If this hasn't started getting better you need to make sure you didn't crack a rib. Along those lines, is this discomfort being caused by your left side being forced into a hard or protuberant part of your seat? A custom seat insert does wonders for driving comfort and performance - I don't move a bit in my seat from my torso down to my knees.

Your car will give you a workout every time you drive it. In my formula car my HR is typically 140-150s. When I drive our Mx-5 Cup it's in the 110s.

Sounds like you are off to a great start in a really cool car!
Old 08-26-2019, 08:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

Core strength conditioning is key. Also what really helps is holding a round barbell weight in front of you with both hands and "steering" it left and right. Strengthens grip, forearms, neck, etc
Old 08-26-2019, 10:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

If you want to explore power steering, look at DC Electronics EPAS. I don't have any experience with it, but they have been pushing it pretty hard for a number of years. http://www.dcemotorsport.com/Home/EPAS I believe it's essentially a European Ford Capri motor (I think it's a Capri) and their controller.

As everyone pointed out, you're better off working out. The workout you posted won't be enough. I'd suggest looking at the social media for Pit Fit and Podium Performance to see appropriate exercises. Pit Fit has a neck strength book, but I wouldn't recommend it (you'll find it all with a little looking). Building your core strength and neck strength will really help you in the car - far more than the power steering.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:49 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, get your *** to the gym already!

Do you know what your current caster setting is?

Also touched on, look at your ***-to-seat interface. You're gonna end up doing even more work if you're not well-secured in the set... and a generic race seat IMO isn't good enough for a car with this level of performance, consider a custom poured bead seat if you don't already have one.

Quick Reply: Reducing steering wheel load on a sports racer (or, why do I have sore lats?)