Track Day Newbie... Need Advice for 981 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 03:53 AM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Track Day Newbie... Need Advice for 981 GTS

Hi Guys,

I am a track newbie. Never done it before. Thinking of tracking my 981 GTS at local PCA events. Car shares daily driver duty with another car, so the 981 sees 9k street miles a year. Intend to track it 3-4 times a year. Car has PDK, PASM, Sport Chrono/Sport +, Fabspeed headers with high flow cats, sport exhaust, Rear Reinforcement Strut (standard on 718s), BMC filters and Stage 2 Cobb Tune for 91 octane. Was thinking of getting a set of 18" track wheels from the Apex Group purchase going on... NEED ADVICE... what do you guys recommend on:

1. Tires?

2. Brakes? Pads? Brake Fluid?

3. Helmet?

4. Does race fuel make a difference on the 981 GTS? I run 91 octane here in CA daily, I have all of the Cobb Tunes (think they have a stage 2 for 100 octane??), but I run the stage 2 for 91 most of the time.

5. Do I need a number/decal? I hate to be a poseur, but I am 100% about safety and figure the car needs to be identifiable... don't want to be "that guy" at the track...

6. Anyone run the Apex wheels at the track? Happy?

7. Motor oil / spark plugs? I just changed 'em... but run the stock spec Mobil 1 and recommended Porsche plugs.

8. Am I missing any of the "basics?"

I am literally hoping to swap wheels/tires, flush my brakes/fluid, drive the car on the track tires/rims.... and maybe change my Cobb Tune at the track (if I’m running something more aggressive than 91 octane CA pump gas)... strap on a helmet, put it in Sports Plus mode, and track the car. Kinda thinking "keep it simple" to start. Thoughts? Ideas? I dunno. I’m new to track. Complete newbie. Open to swapping brake pads... but currently have stock brakes and pads (with plenty of life left)...

Cheers,

L76

Old 08-07-2019, 07:58 AM
RolleiBob
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello L76

Here is my advise. For your first few events, don't change anything. As the car sits (assuming the tires meet tread depth requirements), drive the car as it is. As it sits, it is a extraordinary vehicle. When I have a first time student, we leave the car in all the normal modes. No Sport, Sport Plus, Cobb Tune, etc. What you want to concentrate on is you, the car and the instruction. I will go so far as to say, don't use a track app or video device. Concentrate on yourself. Stay hydrated. Eat good food so you feel good. Bring a chair. Find some shade. Don't fuss over all the things you listed early on. You have plenty of time to add all of those things. You are the most important part of this equation. Your 981GTS will be more than up to the challenge you throw at it.

Specifically to your points.

1. Tires - I have a base Cayman. I use Bridgestone RE71r in 18" because that is basically my option other than the Goodyear and Pirelli that come on the car.
2. Brakes - Eventually you will want/need high temperature fluid, Motul 600 for example. Pads (open a Pandora's box of advise) - mid-grade - Ferodo DS2500, I am now using Raybestos RS43 which are holding up well, but I had to switch rotors because the drilled rotors cracked due to the heat I think.
3. Helmet - If you can get to a shop where you can try them on, that is the best. The different brands fit different head shapes better than others. If you wanted to spend a little extra ($500+), getting a helmet already equipped with communication is a nice upgrade. Most importantly - choose comfort.
4. Race fuel - I can't speak to that other than for the first events, just run premium pump gas.
5. Numbers - get a roll of painters tape. Inexpensive, easy to use, no problems.
6. Apex wheels - unqualified to comment
7. Oil and spark plugs - Porsche knows what they are doing with Mobil 1 and the OEM plugs.
8. Basics - have fun, listen to your instructor, minimize the amount of stuff you have to think about the first few events, stay hydrated, stay out of the sun for too long, walk around and talk with people, enjoy the experience.

Buy a good tire pressure gauge. Get a torque wrench for your lug nuts. Learn to monitor tire pressure and checking your wheels. Learn to visually monitor your brake pads (when you start switching brake pads, you are going to tie up the brake sensors most likely and not be using them, so you have to visually inspect).

It is an enormous amount of fun on the track. Enjoy the experience, meet some new friends, learn what the car can really do. Your list is well thought out, but for the first few track events, I recommend no changes to the car. Concentrate on you (and keeping your instructor safe

Bobby
The following 4 users liked this post by RolleiBob:
CT_Peter (08-07-2019), HelpMeHelpU (08-16-2019), ProCoach (08-07-2019), smilin (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 09:00 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Previous post is an excellent summary and I agree with everything having driven and instructed Caymans for 11 years. I have had good results with the OZ wheels sold by Tire Rack.. The instructor usually provides the communication device so I wouldn't recommend having that in the helmet. Buy 2015 Snell approved helmet and as mentioned, fit is important. Try on the helmet and leave it on at least 15 minutes. The helmet should be snug when new.

Last edited by Bill Lehman; 08-07-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:31 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

I tracked my 981 Boxster GTS for 3 years and loved the hell out of it. Bone stock. Didn't change a thing.

Just go out and have fun. You'll very quickly realize that none of the stuff you're talking about matters in the least when you're a beginner. If the tires and brakes are in good shape, you're good to go.

Here's video from my first ever track day. I couldn't possibly have had more fun than I did.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Just go out and have fun. You'll very quickly realize that none of the stuff you're talking about matters in the least when you're a beginner. If the tires and brakes are in good shape, you're good to go.
^^^^ This

Buy a good Longacre digital tire pressure gauge and a torque wrench in addition to a good fitting helmet and have fun!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:17 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by L76

6. Anyone run the Apex wheels at the track? Happy?
I run the Apex wheels on my 2009 Cayman, so far they are new and I only have 4 track days on them, but I am liking them so far, here is a clip from the recent SCCA Track Night in America where my car is displayed at 2:44 for a few seconds and you can see the wheels:

I agree with the other postings though, for your first few events stock everything (with fresh brake fluid) will do just fine. That said, I will confess I bought the Apex wheels before I even had my Cayman because I wanted to get on one of the earlier group buys (there have been 2 so far, this is the 3rd)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:26 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Making the car “faster” WONT make you a faster novice driver. If i were your instructor, i’d suggest turning the Cobb tuning DOWN not up.

Like everyone said, your preparation is to get a well fitting helmet and a good night’s sleep.

Welcome to the “club”!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:37 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by mhm993
Welcome to the “club”!
I wonder if this is how heroin addicts greet their new prospects?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by RolleiBob
Hello L76

Here is my advise. For your first few events, don't change anything. As the car sits (assuming the tires meet tread depth requirements), drive the car as it is. As it sits, it is a extraordinary vehicle. When I have a first time student, we leave the car in all the normal modes. No Sport, Sport Plus, Cobb Tune, etc. What you want to concentrate on is you, the car and the instruction. I will go so far as to say, don't use a track app or video device. Concentrate on yourself. Stay hydrated. Eat good food so you feel good. Bring a chair. Find some shade. Don't fuss over all the things you listed early on. You have plenty of time to add all of those things. You are the most important part of this equation. Your 981GTS will be more than up to the challenge you throw at it.

1. Tires - I have a base Cayman. I use Bridgestone RE71r in 18" because that is basically my option other than the Goodyear and Pirelli that come on the car.
2. Brakes - Eventually you will want/need high temperature fluid, Motul 600 for example. Pads (open a Pandora's box of advise) - mid-grade - Ferodo DS2500, I am now using Raybestos RS43 which are holding up well, but I had to switch rotors because the drilled rotors cracked due to the heat I think.
3. Helmet - If you can get to a shop where you can try them on, that is the best. The different brands fit different head shapes better than others. If you wanted to spend a little extra ($500+), getting a helmet already equipped with communication is a nice upgrade. Most importantly - choose comfort.
4. Race fuel - I can't speak to that other than for the first events, just run premium pump gas.
5. Numbers - get a roll of painters tape. Inexpensive, easy to use, no problems.
7. Oil and spark plugs - Porsche knows what they are doing with Mobil 1 and the OEM plugs.
8. Basics - have fun, listen to your instructor, minimize the amount of stuff you have to think about the first few events, stay hydrated, stay out of the sun for too long, walk around and talk with people, enjoy the experience.

Buy a good tire pressure gauge. Get a torque wrench for your lug nuts. Learn to monitor tire pressure and checking your wheels. Learn to visually monitor your brake pads (when you start switching brake pads, you are going to tie up the brake sensors most likely and not be using them, so you have to visually inspect).

It is an enormous amount of fun on the track. Enjoy the experience, meet some new friends, learn what the car can really do. Your list is well thought out, but for the first few track events, I recommend no changes to the car. Concentrate on you (and keeping your instructor safe

Bobby
^^ the above is spot on. All I will add is, if you haven't already, watch a few track videos of the track you plan on going to in order to familiarize yourself with the course, sequence of turns and general layout. Please do not watch the track video to study the "line" (your instructor will take care of that), or to gauge laptimes (not important). This is just to understand the track and what turns are coming up and in what order. Track videos will generally not do a great job of conveying changes in track elevation nor surface grip levels but are fantastic to familiarize yourself with a track ahead of running on it for the first time (it helps when things look familiar out there). Good luck, follow Bobby's points above and have fun.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:26 AM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Everything everyone else said. I will give you my 2 cents advice on tires from my own experience. I believe you don't want to go too sticky of a tire when first starting out on track. Amongst other tires, I ran the Continental Extreme Contact Sport (very similar to Michelin 4S) for two seasons (20 days) while in the Intermediate group, they wore like steel and gripped very well, when they did start to let go I was at a speed that was more manageable to correct the over/understeer situation. Im now in the Advanced group and run RE-71, when they let go you are likely at the limit at higher speeds/g-loads where there is very little time to react correctly. As above, I love Raybestos ST-43 endurance race pads, last a very long time and work great bone cold. Have fun a dont sweat all the little stuff you mentioned, none of it matters at this point..
Old 08-07-2019, 11:39 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Get it aligned for track, brake fluid and pads are all it needs. I ran mine that way and had a blast in a great handling car. As for tires PS4S is a good dual purpose tire for street, great wet tire, and track tire to start. After that I also got a set of OZ 19” and ran RE-71R 255/35 275/35 19’s.

Peter
Old 08-07-2019, 12:14 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 117 Posts

I run my 996 C4S (my DD) about once a quarter (or plan to), and what other people have said are fine. I would also say get a helmet without any comms installed, as your instructor will have their own unit for you to use. It'll also be a lot cheaper! Just make sure your tires have plenty of tread and do a brake fluid flush and swap your pads. I use my regular OEM Porsche pads and they worked fine over a 2-day HDPE weekend, no fade or issues at all, but I'll probably swap them out next time for some more track-focused items. You may also want to look at some gloves, if not this time, for next time as you go on. They do make a difference IMO, especially if it's warm at all outside. Tire gauge with bleed function would be nice too. You can find numerous places online who can make you your own set of numbers, some groups only require numbers on the doors or windows (2), some make you have one on the back as well (3 total). REMEMBER to bring your tow hook, too!

Aside from the car stuff, things to remember once you're in the car, with instructor will be (as you'll be nervous a little I'm sure):
1. BREATHE. Your instructor can tell over the comms if you're doing so or not.
2. Look "through" the next turn/corners as to where you're going, and not just right in front of you. It takes a little practice, but makes things way easier on track, and instructors grade you on doing such.
3. Don't be nervous/upset if you have to do point-bys and someone passes you. If you're in a 'green' or beginner group, and you're just starting out, you'll get passed by slower, older cars lol. As someone said, I'd turn any 'nanny' or assistance devices down or off, it'll make you a better driver. But it's not a race, so it happens to us all.
4. Bring LOTS of water/Gatorade and stay in the shade when possible. You'll be surprised how worn out you can be after a few sessions and if the event facilitators make you attend classes after every run.
5. Other Porsche owners/drivers will come say hi and get to know you, we're all pretty reasonably friendly when it comes to our marque. Swap phone #s/emails, make some friends you can see at upcoming events and if they're regulars, are people you can learn from to improve.

Have a blast. DE events are addicting and expensive, but hey that's what our cars are made to do, and do it well!
Old 08-07-2019, 12:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Hello L76

Bobby
Excellent post.

Only thing I would recommend is that if you have a small, unobtrusive video camera, by all means use it. If you have to fuss with it or if it distracts your work with your instructor, bag it.

The review of the video after the event and the ability to look back to your first event will be valuable for your progression. Good luck and welcome!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-07-2019, 01:35 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Hello L76

Bobby
+1
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (08-16-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 02:24 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The review of the video after the event and the ability to look back to your first event will be valuable for your progression. Good luck and welcome!
This is a great idea. I just happened to have a dashcam in my car when I did mine, and as you can see above, I still post the video now and then and look back on it with a smile.

If nothing else, it shows both how terrible the driving was and exactly how enthusiastic I was, which is a great message to pass on to anyone else interested in trying this stuff out.

Quick Reply: Track Day Newbie... Need Advice for 981 GTS