Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMSA GT3 Challenge Road America Crash Fest

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019 | 07:31 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

The series has developed a killzone for sure. Thankfully my year was pretty clean because one wreck had me out of the season!
I get the reasoning for these guys being in it, and I think they have some valid reasons, but there needs to be harsher punishments for contact and some system to earn an IMSA license instead of paying for one after a year of club racing.
Car count is car count, but having everything behind 5th at risk of the killzone just doesnt help anyone. IGT/Pirelli Cup/etc... needs to become required steps to IMSA IMO.
The following users liked this post:
AI10RS (08-09-2019)
Old 08-06-2019 | 03:59 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
#whatdrivingstandards?
They could start with a lap time filter.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Spend $40k for a two-race weekend in which roughly 50% of both races is spent under yellow, not to mention a good chance you get punted into the ever-present RA cement barriers. Made NASCAR look relatively tame. Feel bad for the drivers that had their cars binned through no fault of their own....
I feel even worse for the guys at the very minuscule pointy end of the stick that I'd like to actually watch race (Ferriol / Estep / De Angelis, etc) instead of doing parade laps.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Going from Rookie to a paid Pro Driver in 1 year is an awesome achievement!!! ... or he doesn't understand the difference between an amateur and a pro.
Finally someone said it. I cringe when I hear "I am going to be a Pro Driver in IMSA GT3 Cup."
Ummmm, no......you are going to write a much bigger check than you did before to race. In fact, you are most likely exponentially increasing your distance from actually being a Pro Driver. Find a dictionary and use it.

Originally Posted by smf32s
Here is your problem right here. Read this.

Stu
Fixed it for him:

In the short period of 1 year I have become an IMSA Pro Driver, competing in the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge. Going from Rookie to Pro in 1 year time is an achievement a purchase that very few drivers have can afford, or will ever accomplish be able to afford.

Originally Posted by fleadh
Seriously. If I wore a tinfoil hat I'd think they don't try to contain the bad driving to keep the PMNA money. Just like some "Pro" series, they're afraid of alienating the bad apples...
The most appropriate use of parentheses I have seen in years.
Old 08-06-2019 | 05:01 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Spend $40k for a two-race weekend in which roughly 50% of both races is spent under yellow, not to mention a good chance you get punted into the ever-present RA cement barriers. Made NASCAR look relatively tame. Feel bad for the drivers that had their cars binned through no fault of their own....
That the best part about a large field! in Montreal it was the same with 39 Car Field it was awesome, not so awesome for the Midfielders tho

Luckily my driver kept his head down and came 3rd in both races this weekend @ RA https://www.instagram.com/policaromotorsport/?hl=en
Old 08-06-2019 | 05:23 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Come on. This is almost completely lack of situational awareness. These are fast, very capable cars being driven by people who see themselves on tv and are trying to be the hero. They don't know how to share the track and manage their space. It's supposed to be a 45-50 minute race that allows plenty of time to move up if your talent allows.

I'll happily give up a spot if some yahoo wants to put me at risk. I have nothing to gain and everything to lose. If you're faster, you can get back by. Some of these guys couldn't get out of the way and were swept up in this. I wouldn't race that series for any amount of money. I'm getting scared racing in GTA2 these day.

This is such a fun hobby. I love having a challenging duel on track with any other car. In class or not. I don't care. Someone needs to talk some sense to some of these guys. Too much money with no care of loss. Then they act like " it wasn't me".

I just want to have fun.

Stu
It's incredible that you hear similar comments at our level (regular plebeian DE's). You would think that by the time some of these guys graduate from DEs to Club Racing to IMSA that they would have figured out some of the fundamental 101s of being on track!! Bigger checkbooks than talent, for sure!
Old 08-06-2019 | 05:44 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zookie
That the best part about a large field! in Montreal it was the same with 39 Car Field it was awesome, not so awesome for the Midfielders tho

Luckily my driver kept his head down and came 3rd in both races this weekend @ RA https://www.instagram.com/policaromotorsport/?hl=en
Large fields are great as long as everyone does a reasonable job of keeping their head screwed on straight. Like I said, it's rarely the young guys climbing the ladder and running at the front of the field causing problems. Both your guys have solid karting background; about as good as it gets in teaching car control and when and how to use aggression vs patience.
Old 08-06-2019 | 08:34 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is your problem right here. Read this.

Stu
Where did this excerpt come from?
Old 08-07-2019 | 08:29 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Envy is ugly gentlemen.

Old 08-07-2019 | 08:47 AM
LexVan
Banned

1st #67
2nd #66
3rd #912

Old 08-07-2019 | 09:59 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
1st #67
2nd #66
3rd #912

Not the RSR's preferred track but still mighty impressive to watch them going flat through the kink on the in-car camera.
Old 08-07-2019 | 10:09 AM
LexVan
Banned

but still mighty impressive to watch them going flat through the kink on the in-car camera.
Yes it was. I watched from that part of the track for a period during Sunday's race, when they come out of the carousel and set-up for the blind right hander into the kink.

Left to right:

Vanthoor
Bamber
Pilet
Tandy
(you can only be 5'6" and 130 pounds )

Old 08-07-2019 | 04:31 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Yes it was. I watched from that part of the track for a period during Sunday's race, when they come out of the carousel and set-up for the blind right hander into the kink.

Left to right:

Vanthoor
Bamber
Pilet
Tandy
(you can only be 5'6" and 130 pounds )

Met them at Lime Rock and thought exactly the same thing. My pro racing prospects are limited. 😂😂
Old 08-07-2019 | 05:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Old 08-07-2019 | 09:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

im glad i went into IMSA GS!

I love watching the GT3 CUP races online because i have some friends running in gold class.
Every race typically has a spectacular off. Quite the show.
Too much car for some of the drivers.
Old 08-09-2019 | 01:18 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

If only some of these "pro" clowns could lose their ride, just like real pro's can and sometimes do after mistakes, much less stupidity or sheer lack of respect.
Old 08-15-2019 | 12:24 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

here is a good Highlight video from that weekend

Facebook Post

Quick Reply: IMSA GT3 Challenge Road America Crash Fest