Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laguna Seca 718 GT4 Clubsport MR Hot Laps

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019 | 02:19 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Default Laguna Seca 718 GT4 Clubsport MR Hot Laps

My first time at Weathertech Laguna Seca in my new 718 GT4 Clubsport MR during Kahuna at Laguna with PCA Club racing GGR.

Having some braking issues as the brakes were getting really spongy during these qualifying laps but hopefully by tomorrow that will be worked out before the big race.

Hope you enjoy and stay tuned as I will be uploading tomorrows race very soon.

P.S. Still working out the bugs with my VBox since they do not currently offer a protocol for the 718 CS.

Last edited by GT345; 07-20-2019 at 02:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LagunaFanatic (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019 | 07:37 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Nicely done. Looks like a really fun car to race. Good luck in the race.
Old 07-20-2019 | 08:23 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT345
My first time at Weathertech Laguna Seca in my new 718 GT4 Clubsport MR during Kahuna at Laguna with PCA Club racing GGR.

Having some braking issues as the brakes were getting really spongy during these qualifying laps but hopefully by tomorrow that will be worked out before the big race.

Hope you enjoy and stay tuned as I will be uploading tomorrows race very soon.

P.S. Still working out the bugs with my VBox since they do not currently offer a protocol for the 718 CS.

https://youtu.be/3Q-SzTzVYjk
Not sure if this applies to the CS but quite a few people have changed the braking tune to the PCCB tune to prevent ice pedal... I think it actually originated from the GT4 CS but not certain. Lot's of people here with more CS experience than myself but possibly something to look at...
Looks great hope you enjoyed!!!
Old 07-20-2019 | 09:24 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Some of the WC teams have experienced leaking caliper pistons on the 718 GT4 spec cars. Might be worth a look. The brakes on that car should never get spongy unless there is an issue. Should be rock solid no matter what.
Old 07-20-2019 | 10:05 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by coryf
Some of the WC teams have experienced leaking caliper pistons on the 718 GT4 spec cars. Might be worth a look. The brakes on that car should never get spongy unless there is an issue. Should be rock solid no matter what.
My guys changed the brake pads before the weekend and we believe that somehow they got air into the brake lines when they were bleeding the brakes which we were told by PMNA might require a PIWIZ III to disable the ABS for a proper bleeding which is not even available to the public yet.

Been a little frustrating as the brakes almost feel like the oil is getting to hot and after each lap gets worse and worse, and then by the time I get back to the pits the pedal feel fines again.

My team is going to try something different this morning with some special tool they had to order so fingers crossed!

Will also let them know about the leaking calipers issue, thank you for bringing to my attention,
Old 07-20-2019 | 04:56 PM
Surfbum
Rennlist Member

Find Brad Roberts at the track, I think he is working with BR Racing, he has the new pwiz with all the updates
Old 07-21-2019 | 02:36 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

So I have a theory here, tell me what you think...

Part 1)
My last 981 CS had dual master brakes and when you press down on the brake pedal you had to apply A LOT of pressure to stop the car, and when I got into this car I was expecting the same feel being they are also dual master brakes.

Now I stepped into another 718 Clubsport today at Laguna Seca and after applying pressure to the brakes, I found them to almost feel the same as mine not the super hard pedal from the 981.

Now that being said, made me start to think since they are not the same as the 981 dual masters then maybe I am just applying to much braking and overheating the brakes.

Part 2)
Was playing with the ABS setting from 4 to 1, when I had it anything higher then 2 the ABS seemed to come on alot which unlike my 981 was much more intrusive and created my wheel to shake which was not comfortable at times.

When in the 1 position they still came on a few times during the race, but not as much as before, and also ABS will create more heat as well.

Part 3)
Being this is a new car for me, and a new track, and a race with over 30 cars I figured best to be safe and run with the ESC/TC on but those might of been kicking in when I am not aware and also creating more heat in the brakes especially the ESC.

So that being said I ran my second sprint race today with ABS on 1, and ESC off, and tried not to mash the brakes to hard and was able to complete my race without any major issues, yes they did get a little spongy at the end but was still managable and my times were pretty consistent during the race on a hot day with tires used from the last race which was blacked flagged for a bad accident after 13 or so laps along with my qualifying laps, which I am also loading up the video as we speak.

Any thoughts??
Old 07-21-2019 | 09:53 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

The full sprint race #2 on Saturday.

Had a blast and had some fun trying to catch and pass the silver Cayman in front of me towards the end of the race.

Old 07-21-2019 | 10:01 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any thoughts??
Work with a shop and coach that has experience with these cars? Sorry but that’s the first thing that came to mind after reading your post.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frank 993 C4S:
Texas RS (07-21-2019), Thundermoose (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019 | 01:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

So glad you got the VBOX CAN data fixed with checking the "Send Acknowledge" box and making sure the bus speed was 500K! Can't wait to see the video!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-21-2019 | 04:29 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Work with a shop and coach that has experience with these cars? Sorry but that’s the first thing that came to mind after reading your post.
I do work with a team and shop and that was a mutual feeling we all had, also keep in mind this is a brand new car and there is only about 100 of these cars out there so not like anyone has a ton of experience with this car yet.

Even Peter who is very knowledgeable about a lot of cars had a hard time helping me figure out the Vbox can connection to get the data I needed, I ended up having to do a trial and error to figure it out and sent him the info he needed so future owners of these cars won't have to go through what I did.
Old 07-21-2019 | 05:09 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
So glad you got the VBOX CAN data fixed with checking the "Send Acknowledge" box and making sure the bus speed was 500K! Can't wait to see the video!
Didnt see it was working? If so, cool.

Frank probably has a good point about getting a good reference from someone familiar with this model.
Old 07-21-2019 | 06:02 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I do work with a team and shop and that was a mutual feeling we all had, also keep in mind this is a brand new car and there is only about 100 of these cars out there so not like anyone has a ton of experience with this car yet.
There are shops and folks that have raced this car since the ROAR so there is some decent experience out there now from PWC and IMSA. If you are already dedicated to a particular shop, suggest you hire a pro driver with experience in this car that can help you both with the development. In the long run it's the cheapest and least frustrating way to go about it.
The following users liked this post:
Thundermoose (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019 | 11:57 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
There are shops and folks that have raced this car since the ROAR so there is some decent experience out there now from PWC and IMSA. If you are already dedicated to a particular shop, suggest you hire a pro driver with experience in this car that can help you both with the development. In the long run it's the cheapest and least frustrating way to go about it.
Yep, already on that for the next event and will have the car checked out by PMNA to make sure we are good on the brakes.

After my endurance race I still feel there is an issue because when I had to go into the pits for a tire change that had a slow leak (which the car told me... so awesome) when I got back out the brake pedal was very spongy which really was annoying and hurts your confidence on those later and harder braking areas.

Will get it sorted out, and also found from a couple other people that I am not the only one that went through this.
Old 07-22-2019 | 01:11 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Yep, already on that for the next event and will have the car checked out by PMNA to make sure we are good on the brakes.

After my endurance race I still feel there is an issue because when I had to go into the pits for a tire change that had a slow leak (which the car told me... so awesome) when I got back out the brake pedal was very spongy which really was annoying and hurts your confidence on those later and harder braking areas.

Will get it sorted out, and also found from a couple other people that I am not the only one that went through this.
Thats frustrating....hope you get it sorted soon !

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca 718 GT4 Clubsport MR Hot Laps