Seat back brace requirement

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 11:03 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Seat back brace requirement

Now I'm excited. My transponder arrived today....... I'm going racing!

I am a bit confused after reading the PCA club rules and reviewing some of the recent threads on this list.

Is a seat back brace required?
I have Sparco Evo driver seat.
I have a DAS Sport roll bar..

I know.. I know.. I should have a cage. This will be my first race
and I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback;

Don Ehinger
Old 02-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

As far as I know, youll need a seat back brace. You can buy a kit (I know brey krause makes one, $$) or have one custom made.

I made my own out of square tubing and 1/4" aluminum plate for my own Sparco Evo seat in a 944.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:03 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is directly from the 2004 PCA rule book
25. All cars will be equipped with a seat back brace. Said device will mount securely to the roll cage/bar and will rest firmly against the back of the seat. The portion that contacts the seat will be a minimum of twelve (12) square inches and larger is suggested. The seat construction must be compatible with the seat back brace and not pose a hazard to the driver. A seat back brace is not required in cars equipped with an FIA approved seat and FIA approved factory seat rails. The seat must be replaced
after 5 years from the date of manufacture if not used with a seat back brace.

My Sparco EVO is FIA approved.
I do not know if the Porsche factory seat rolls are FIA approved.

Comments anyone?
Old 02-18-2004, 12:05 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Don,

From my reading of the rules, if your seat and seat rails are FIA-approved, you do NOT need a seat back brace. (Line 25: A seat back brace is not required in cars equipped with an FIA approved seat and FIA approved factory seat rails. The seat must be replaced after five years from the date of maunufacture if not used with a seat back brace.)

I/O Port makes a brace that requires you to drill through your seat back to attach the brace plate. Brey-Krause has another type that does not require drilling through the seat back but needs two holes drilled through the harness bar for proper attachment.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:44 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Gents;

The PCA seat rule was amended. The FIA treatment of this issue was to ban braces because they would not allow the seat to flex and absorb energy. They instead call for an FIA approved seat that will theoretically withstand the forces involved without the brace. PCA originally said it had to be bolted solid, but revised its rule so that you did not have to attach the brace to the seat directly, thereby reducing its ability to flex and absorb energy. It is now sort of a seat back catch fence. I think this was wise. FIA seats don't need anything. All other seats need the "catch fence."

I would assume that the OE seat sliders (I assume this is what you meant by "rolls"?) are legal.

After your first race when you are contemplating how insanely hard you are going to have to push yourself to keep from getting lapped, give me a call about cages!!

Old 02-18-2004, 09:21 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

FIA approved sliders have dual-locking mechanisms on each rail (according to the PCA club race safety chair).

My Sparco sliders meet this requirement and have FIA approval (and I therefore don't need a seat brace) but I don't know if the factory sliders have this dual-locking mechanism and have FIA approval.

I would suggest writing to the club race safety chair as she has the final word. Her e-mail can be found on the club racing website and she'll usually respond within a few days.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:57 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, love that cage! I wish I had a custom cage built as I am 6'1" and have to sit a little farther back than I'd like because of the front cross bar.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:23 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerome, et al;

I believe all of the Series II 944s have dual lockers. I would assume that somewhere in the time frame of 1985 all 911s also went to dual lockers. In that event they would be legal. Early 944s are only single lock, and four bolt to boot. NOT GOOD!

Mitch -

That cage is actually in a VW Rabbit ice racer. I fit in it at 6'5" quite nicely.

It is a constant battle. Head tube placement is something few people think about. I know because years back I built one and then had to redo it. Stop by some time and I'll redo it for you! It depends on the driver and more importantly the mirror he wants to use. With luck no compromise is needed.

I have had to compromise because of my height as well. I installed a QR for the wheel last year and it gained me 1.25" closer to the wheel which was great. Now I have just installed a Kirkey Road Race Deluxe, and that has put me through all kinds of hoops to get a good position. I had to completely refab the floor to lower the seat, plus it is a layback which has put me back from the wheel again. Even with a QR I need another 2 inches.

It never ends!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Ted Brewer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don:

Many FIA approved components have stickers on them so stating (like my SPG seat). Have you looked at your rails to see if sticker?

Ted
Old 02-18-2004, 10:42 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ted.. I remember the sticker and I'll check it as soon as I get all the snow shovels off..

Don

Quick Reply: Seat back brace requirement