Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to use Heart Rate to Engineer the Driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 09:11 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Apple (and perhaps others like Fitbit , Samsung and so on) have to be careful about their claims. Most (if not all) of their devices are not FDA cleared. I am sure that they have had lots of interaction with ODE.
The Apple Watch 4 has FDA approval for its EKG monitoring. It also collects HRV data, but I haven't seen any guidance from Apple on how to interpret the HRV data. PubMed search indicates that a lot of research has been done on HRV.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

Yes I know about Apple. I think it is FDA clearance and not approval.

All of this reminds me of another small world story... when I was at Cantimer and we were searching for investment, we considered strategics. For example a range of companies in the hydration business. One company we discussed was Camelbak. If I recall correctly, they had a decent slice of their business in DOD in addition to the consumer space. We thought there might be interesting synergies.

When I studied them I quickly discovered that there CEO was a college classmate. When we got on the phone, we had a fun trip down memory lane. We had both lived on the top floor of Hitchcock Hall... top of the **** was its nickname.

And right around that time, Gatorade's SSI was experimenting in NASCAR with a special hydration system-- I think they ran it in early 2008. And the head guy at SSI was an ex-college wrestler, fully aware of the hydration measurement challenge in wrestling.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,576 Posts

I had a chance to monitor my heart rate (HR) at the track this past weekend. Ambient temp was 85-95 F over the pavement, and it felt hotter than that when it was sunny.

My normal resting HR when indoors is in the 50s. Outdoors in the heat, my resting HR went up to 70-100, which is more increase than I expected. Sitting in the grid waiting to go on track, my HR went up to the 100-120 range, maybe partly or largely due to adrenaline. On track, within minutes, my HR climbed up to about 170+, and stayed there for most of the track sessions.

So my conclusion is that, despite not feeling like I'm exerting myself much on track, my HR gets as high as any other strenuous activity, including trail running uphill.

It will be interesting to see how the numbers compare during a track event in cooler weather.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I had a chance to monitor my heart rate (HR) at the track this past weekend. Ambient temp was 85-95 F over the pavement, and it felt hotter than that when it was sunny.

My normal resting HR when indoors is in the 50s. Outdoors in the heat, my resting HR went up to 70-100, which is more increase than I expected. Sitting in the grid waiting to go on track, my HR went up to the 100-120 range, maybe partly or largely due to adrenaline. On track, within minutes, my HR climbed up to about 170+, and stayed there for most of the track sessions.

So my conclusion is that, despite not feeling like I'm exerting myself much on track, my HR gets as high as any other strenuous activity, including trail running uphill.

It will be interesting to see how the numbers compare during a track event in cooler weather.
Cool (ha!) results. For most people in motorsports, there is no question it's strenuous activity. We were at Indy this weekend and it was 90s in the paddock with track temps over 120F. In the car was around 130F! That is very tough on the driver.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:53 AM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. Any way to monitor your blood pressure with this?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:40 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rs4_saloon
Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. Any way to monitor your blood pressure with this?
I haven't seen a wearable blood pressure device. If there is one that transmits Bluetooth, Bluetooth LE, or ANT+, we could add it. Do you know of any?
Old 10-01-2019, 12:06 PM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I haven't seen a wearable blood pressure device. If there is one that transmits Bluetooth, Bluetooth LE, or ANT+, we could add it. Do you know of any?
i'll check w/ my wife (cardiologist). I assume there are spikes in the BP during racing/driving but don't know how long that is sustained and what the regression looks like. Curious for health reason.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:25 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
This one seems to fit the bill.

https://omronhealthcare.com/products...nitor-bp8000m/
Old 10-01-2019, 01:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sbelles
That one requires you to hit the button to make it take a reading, so I'm not sure it's going to work. If they share the BTLE protocol, I could have it added if someone wanted it.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:41 PM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

has there been any literature posted on Blood Pressure spikes bc of racing, driving and/or instructing?
Old 10-01-2019, 01:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rs4_saloon
has there been any literature posted on Blood Pressure spikes bc of racing, driving and/or instructing?
None that I've seen or can even recall even referenced. We've done heart rate, breathing rate, blood oxygen, eye tracking, glucose, and a couple more things, but never blood pressure.

Quick Reply: How to use Heart Rate to Engineer the Driver