Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 10:35 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Assuming neither car had track insurance, what is protocol when there's an on-track incident like this and one party is clearly 100% at fault? Is the GT3 completely screwed or is he able to go after the driver of the Mustang through a civil suit?
Old 07-05-2019, 10:40 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
How did he get out of Yellow?
Because a check ride is a snapshot in time and sometimes people later develop bad habits. Many many solo'd drivers never have anyone ride right seat with them ever again. Or ask people to review their videos with a critical eye. Or or or or.....
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 10:40 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Jeez what talented driving :/

Maybe I didn't read all the comments, but did anyone else notice what I assume is the Moose-tang driver's (or a friend's) post back a ways back in the thread?
Old 07-05-2019, 10:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
Assuming neither car had track insurance, what is protocol when there's an on-track incident like this and one party is clearly 100% at fault? Is the GT3 completely screwed or is he able to go after the driver of the Mustang through a civil suit?
Everyone is on their own. Hope that never changes.
DTMiller (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 10:46 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Because a check ride is a snapshot in time and sometimes people later develop bad habits. Many many solo'd drivers never have anyone ride right seat with them ever again. Or ask people to review their videos with a critical eye. Or or or or.....
He's actually had a couple of his videos reviewed by racers360. I didn't watch to see the commentary.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:49 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Everyone is on their own. Hope that never changes.
Yeah, I don't think we want a system where whether or not I can risk going to the track is determined by the value of the cars other people bring.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:01 AM
feh
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I really hope organizations that run these not only evaluate driver competency by being fast, but also and most importantly their judgement.

Totally the Mustang driver’s fault. However, the GT3 was completely off line and driving erratically in the beginning of the video, perhaps in an attempt to shake him off.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
He's actually had a couple of his videos reviewed by racers360. I didn't watch to see the commentary.
A few posts ago, DvM shared a private joke that we can tell people until we’re blue in the face what we see and what cogent strategy can be employed (sometimes their choice of several) to improve/avoid adding risk/et cetera...

No amount of counsel will help if you can’t define clear, limited objectives and maintain discipline yourself.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Agreed - the system is never perfect. BUT, it is important how organizations like Chin, or PCA or others deal with situations like this on the spot (and hopefully not later). There is a learning experience in this for everybody.

Also - I'm not a big fan of posting crash pictures and videos on social media, especially without the consent of everybody involved. I doubt the GT3 driver consented to the video posting.
MarcD147 (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:29 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Regardless of how bad a video may look I always felt there’s something unsavory about piling onto a person that’s not here and about the voyeuristic schadenfreude the mob indulges in on account of someone’s tragedy. I too couldn’t resist with my “Darwin award” jab.

To a large extent he invited this himself by posting the crash on YT but, for all we know, Mustang guy could be the nicest person one could ever meet and we have no idea how terrible he may feel about what happened. Just something wrong about piling on and kicking someone that’s down...
Old 07-05-2019, 11:37 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Regardless of how bad a video may look I always felt there’s something unsavory about piling onto a person that’s not here and about the voyeuristic schadenfreude the mob indulges in on account of someone’s tragedy. I too couldn’t resist with my “Darwin award” jab.

To a large extent he invited this himself by posting the crash on YT but, for all we know, Mustang guy could be the nicest person one could ever meet and we have no idea how terrible he may feel about what happened. Just something wrong about piling on and kicking someone that’s down...

That's a fair point, but the fact is, if nothing else, posting his video on YT and then here shows incredibly poor judgement, which just reinforces the poor judgement shown on track. When I first saw the video, I assumed it was taken by anyone but the culprit.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:56 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
One of the good things we have done down here at the COTA Schnellfest events is having post session debriefs where crap like this can be discussed and fixed

Perhaps the Mustang driver is also a gamer?
Debriefs is one of the reasons I like NASA TT in FL. We get together after every session and hash out anything that needs to be discussed. Both The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

Peter
Old 07-05-2019, 12:17 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

His postings on youtube convey a viewpoint that he is not responsible for what happened - especially reposting it with the end clipped off. I know that bothers me.

-Mike
Old 07-05-2019, 12:20 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,440 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

I do feel bad sometimes about a public shaming but I am on the other end of the spectrum in thinking that not wanting to be "that guy" is the best tool in the toolbox to keep everyone in line. Sure in racing you can get a 13/13, and in DE you can get kicked out, but if done correctly it can also be a teachable moment. Maybe we are piling on here, and I am guilty of that, but in this case I don't really feel very bad and think we can all learn from the video.

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
That's a fair point, but the fact is, if nothing else, posting his video on YT and then here shows incredibly poor judgement, which just reinforces the poor judgement shown on track. When I first saw the video, I assumed it was taken by anyone but the culprit.
Agreed. The fact that he posted the video on youtube really shows poor judgment. His blasé comment for the video appears to indicate that he did not take his actions very seriously.

If the Mustang is repaired I hope he gets that seat bolted.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:22 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
His postings on youtube convey a viewpoint that he is not responsible for what happened - especially reposting it with the end clipped off. I know that bothers me.

-Mike
Yup. His casual presentation of the event makes me feel uncomfortable.

The passive voice: "Unable to slow the car down"

What, cause your foot was broken? Or that the brakes suddenly didn't work? Or that you blew past the braking zone fully on the throttle?

I realize we are collectively guilty of "piling on" in his absence but someone could have been seriously injured or killed. At least this is a learning experience for all of us by proxy.

Quick Reply: So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?