Sponsored by:

Hiring Crew

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 01:13 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Hiring Crew

The Race support thread got me thinking about hiring crew. Is there a primer for hiring crew? Around the paddock I see many many familiar crew faces. I suspect there is an average going daily or hourly rate? Does that include meals, travel or hotel? If the guys are working into the night because your car broke how does compensation work for that? If your crew guy is towing your truck,trailer, racecar and something bad happens how does your insurance (or lack there of) deal with that?

For those who have hired their own crew vs. or bought race support from a shop what are you seeing as advantages of one over the other?
Old 06-28-2019, 01:25 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

In my experience it's just a daily rate and then I think most guys also tip whichever tech is "their's" for the weekend.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:59 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

Usually transport to/from track is x mile ($1.25-$1.75). Cost per day can vary. Very good PCA level teams <1000 a day. This covers any labor involved in fixing or trying to fix car. Does not of course include any parts needed to do that. The team will also refuel you and charge for fuel, and prob make a small margin on that. Most teams require you to leave your car with them in their shop and there may be a small monthly storage fee but prob no more than youd pay to store at home. And all teams will want you to use them to prep the car before a race. No "pre-race" maintenance is covered in the daily support fee.

I'm sure there are exceptions to this. Well worth it to me.

Quick Reply: Hiring Crew