Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche Insurance - Covers track events!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 06:40 PM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New Porsche Insurance - Covers track events!!!

All -

Today I read with interest that Porsche has a new auto insurance product, see https://www.porscheautoinsurance.com and this article: https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../26/530481.htm

When I called and asked I was told that YES, the Porsche insurance coverage DOES cover track events - at least when an instructor is present. Obviously the devil is in the details, so i have requested the actual policy coverage contract language be emailed to me. If it fits, doing so would save me $2,500 a year since I would no longer have to purchase separate HPDE coverage.

Also, according to the news articles I read, the Porsche auto insurance program will require that Porsche OEM parts be used in any covered accident repairs. That is alos a plus for me.

Do your own investigation, including checking out the underwriters for this policy such as checking AM Best for their rating as well as your State Dept of insurance.

"To start, the insurance program is available in just two states, Oregon and Illinois. Porsche said the insurance plans will soon expand to more states, but it did not name the next areas on deck; nor did it say when the expansion will happen. Since each rate is custom, buyers will have to contact Porsche for costs. Any owner with a 1981 Porsche or newer is eligible for Porsche Auto Insurance."

Jeff

Last edited by Janton9736; 06-26-2019 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Adding direct link to Porsche auto insurance
Old 06-26-2019, 06:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,853 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Interesting. Per-mile rate on top of a base rate.

"You pay for the miles you drive plus a monthly base rate. At each billing interval, you simply upload a photo of your odometer. Porsche Auto Insurance does the rest.

Our patented computer vision technology verifies the vehicle and the mileage from the photo sent. We then calculate your mileage, multiply it by your per-mile rate, and add it to your base rate."

I didn't see anything about track events on the web site. Can't wait to see the fine print, but looks promising.

I wonder if policy holders will drive harder, faster on-track because of this...

Couldn't resist!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-26-2019, 08:39 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

According to the website the insurance isn't provided by Porsche which makes sense as they're not an insurance company. It's provided by an independent insurance company, it doesn't say who but says that the company has a good financial rating.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:36 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I wonder if policy holders will drive harder, faster on-track because of this...
Nooooo we just put the worms back!!
Old 06-26-2019, 09:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SkeerRacing
Nooooo we just put the worms back!!
Old 06-27-2019, 07:38 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

I'll be hitting the track at Mosport in a couple hours and I DON'T have track insurance..........I'm meat.

Whom am I kidding? I'm usually meat anyway!

Gary
.......filet, tho..........
Old 06-27-2019, 11:09 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Interesting. Per-mile rate on top of a base rate.

"You pay for the miles you drive plus a monthly base rate. At each billing interval, you simply upload a photo of your odometer. Porsche Auto Insurance does the rest.

Our patented computer vision technology verifies the vehicle and the mileage from the photo sent. We then calculate your mileage, multiply it by your per-mile rate, and add it to your base rate."

I didn't see anything about track events on the web site. Can't wait to see the fine print, but looks promising.

Couldn't resist!
Guess it's time to sell the sim...
Old 06-27-2019, 11:35 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Couldn't resist!
You're killing me!
Old 06-28-2019, 05:24 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

I spoke to an insurance rep today to get a quote and ask about track coverage. I was told the car *IS* covered at PCA certified events when an instructor is in the car with you *AND* the car is kept under 100mph. I requested these details in writing and apparently they don't have all the documentation ready yet so I can't review it. I don't do but one PCA event a year, but the speed limit is a complete deal breaker.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
I spoke to an insurance rep today to get a quote and ask about track coverage. I was told the car *IS* covered at PCA certified events when an instructor is in the car with you *AND* the car is kept under 100mph. I requested these details in writing and apparently they don't have all the documentation ready yet so I can't review it. I don't do but one PCA event a year, but the speed limit is a complete deal breaker.
So basically it's almost useless as track insurance. Very strange ...
Old 06-28-2019, 05:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

With that, it's pretty clear. Ride and drive, experience center insurance. Not track insurance.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:34 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
the car is kept under 100mph.
Yeah, even the Mini'll do 100mph (or 160kph @ Mosport)
Old 07-03-2019, 01:59 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

It appears to be a contract with Lockton. What is weird is that I got two emails with the header 'TEST: PCA Club Racing Sponsor Offer - Lockton Motorsports', but the email was actually about XPEL window tint and ceramic coating, and the email was specifically targeted to licensed Club Racers, who will almost by definition exceed any 100 MPH speed limit.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:04 PM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Every track I've been at in my firstyear of HPDE has me going over 100mph... I am also waiting for the insurance languaage to see it for myself. If it says what you were told, then its the trombones saying "Wha-whahhhhhh...."
Old 07-03-2019, 02:04 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Yeah, even the Mini'll do 100mph (or 160kph @ Mosport)
If it's useless for a Miata and a Mini, it's useless.

Quick Reply: New Porsche Insurance - Covers track events!!!