Sponsored by:

16' Clubsport market

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 01:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by chas911
In my experience the answer is no, a well driven 981 can run lap times close to 718 under existing series rules.
Charlie
A well driven 981 MR with EVO kit can run with a 718 MR that has been BoP'd.
PWC currently allows use of the 981 MR EVO in the series and it is free of BoP weight which makes it quite interesting! (but this is the last season it can run PWC)

The 718 MR in IMSA and PWC has about 180 pounds bolted to the passenger side floor to meet BoP regulations. I would assume that any of these cars seen at track days or PCA would keep the weight in them for test and tune purposes so keep that in mind when comparing them.

At the 48H of Sebring, my new 718 MR with weight bolted to the floor, left the feild of 981 GT4 clubsports to the point that people complained and a new PCA class was made for the 718 MR. (GTD2)
996 Cups were the only car I could really play with and had i removed the weight from the passenger side I think I could have had better chance on the straights with the 996 Cups because i would kill them in the corners and brake zones

At Daytona my 718 MR was 15 mph faster then my 981 Clubsport on the banking. 177mph. This higher top speed but with with additional downforce was a nice welcome.
I assume any track with hills, the torque of the new 718 MR would make a noticable difference in the lap time comparison.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:25 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
At the 48H of Sebring, my new 718 MR with weight bolted to the floor, left the feild of 981 GT4 clubsports to the point that people complained and a new PCA class was made for the 718 MR. (GTD2)
996 Cups were the only car I could really play with and had i removed the weight from the passenger side I think I could have had better chance on the straights with the 996 Cups because i would kill them in the corners and brake zones.
I can only speak for real world experience, our first time testing the 981 at Sebring in January, running at 3100 lbs we were able to click off low 2:12 laps without much effort There were no 718's running in the same group so I cannot tell you if that is competitive vs. the times you ran. There was a BMW GT4 running in our group, the 981 was quicker, I do not know who was driving. If the car ran at the IMSA weight of 2018 which I believe was 1295 Kilos I would think the car could run low 2:11's on the Michelin tire.

I don't believe the 981 could run quicker lap times vs. the 718 at the same weight but running the car at 1250 kilos it could give the 781 a run for the money based upon your min weight.

Charlie

Tom, i see you have Spencer running with you at WGI, should be a good showing!
Charlie
Old 06-23-2019, 03:07 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

A well driven 981 MR with EVO kit can run with a 718 MR that has been BoP'd.
PWC currently allows use of the 981 MR EVO in the series and it is free of BoP weight which makes it quite interesting! (but this is the last season it can run PWC)

The 718 MR in IMSA and PWC has about 180 pounds bolted to the passenger side floor to meet BoP regulations. I would assume that any of these cars seen at track days or PCA would keep the weight in them for test and tune purposes so keep that in mind when comparing them.

996 Cups were the only car I could really play with and had i removed the weight from the passenger side I think I could have had better chance on the straights with the 996 Cups because i would kill them in the corners and brake zones

At Daytona my 718 MR was 15 mph faster then my 981 Clubsport on the banking. 177mph. This higher top speed but with with additional downforce was a nice welcome.
I assume any track with hills, the torque of the new 718 MR would make a noticable difference in the lap time comparison.

Thank you for your thoughts Tom, really appreciate it.

I am having a small dilemma though because I am literally in the process of writing a check for a 718 MR for a couple of reasons.

To begin with I run with PCA, POC, started doing Pirelli Trohpy West and by next year would like to join GT4 America because in Trophy West their isn't enough in the field to make it exciting in my class because most of the GT4 drivers upgraded to Cup Cars for this season and getting lapped by the CUP MR and GT3R is not very exciting lol.

My car is not an MR or EVO so the scales were tipping at over 3300lbs at CoTA with Trophy West with me in the car and I do not weight 300 lbs , and that was after the race so with a full tank even higher, nor do I have the MR suspension ( I went with JRZ and they won't let me run those at Trophy West) so I either I put more $$ into the car to be a little more competitive which I won't get much of it back when I sell it, or cut my losses and sell it while miles are still low and get the new 718 in full MR.

I was considering getting an Audi R8 GT4 LMS, but I felt the 718 Checked more boxes as it would be allowed to run my PCA Club Racing events (They wouldn't allow the Audi), but also noticed the weight of the R8 and thought maybe it was a bit high even though the HP is much higher.

Have you run the 718 @ CoTA, if yes what were your lap times and would you happen to have any onboard videos I can drool over?

BTW 177 @ Daytona is flying, I would assume that is close to 20MPH faster then my CS with the extra weight and less HP engine.

Thanks again!
Old 06-23-2019, 03:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I can only speak for real world experience, our first time testing the 981 at Sebring in January, running at 3100 lbs we were able to click off low 2:12 laps without much effort There were no 718's running in the same group so I cannot tell you if that is competitive vs. the times you ran. There was a BMW GT4 running in our group, the 981 was quicker, I do not know who was driving. If the car ran at the IMSA weight of 2018 which I believe was 1295 Kilos I would think the car could run low 2:11's on the Michelin tire.

I don't believe the 981 could run quicker lap times vs. the 718 at the same weight but running the car at 1250 kilos it could give the 781 a run for the money based upon your min weight.

Charlie

Tom, i see you have Spencer running with you at WGI, should be a good showing!
Charlie
I recall hearing about that lap time at the january test. Staggeringly quick!
The RS1 cars are highly developed and I feel are the fastest 981 GT4s in America. Justin is guru at setting up these cars.

His cars can certain give the 718 MR a true run for its money!

Im running WGI at the end of the month for IMSA and decided to bring big sexy along to help me around the track as it is a 4 hour race and i have no experience at this track. Spencer is my best chance to help me figure out this track at pace!
Old 06-23-2019, 03:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

The new CS has extra jam and additional downforce.Really well packaged. But realistically, It is not worth upgrading unless you need one to run IMSA.
Agreed.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:35 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT345
Thank you for your thoughts Tom, really appreciate it.

I am having a small dilemma though because I am literally in the process of writing a check for a 718 MR for a couple of reasons.

To begin with I run with PCA, POC, started doing Pirelli Trohpy West and by next year would like to join GT4 America because in Trophy West their isn't enough in the field to make it exciting in my class because most of the GT4 drivers upgraded to Cup Cars for this season and getting lapped by the CUP MR and GT3R is not very exciting lol.

My car is not an MR or EVO so the scales were tipping at over 3300lbs at CoTA with Trophy West with me in the car and I do not weight 300 lbs , and that was after the race so with a full tank even higher, nor do I have the MR suspension ( I went with JRZ and they won't let me run those at Trophy West) so I either I put more $$ into the car to be a little more competitive which I won't get much of it back when I sell it, or cut my losses and sell it while miles are still low and get the new 718 in full MR.

I was considering getting an Audi R8 GT4 LMS, but I felt the 718 Checked more boxes as it would be allowed to run my PCA Club Racing events (They wouldn't allow the Audi), but also noticed the weight of the R8 and thought maybe it was a bit high even though the HP is much higher.

Have you run the 718 @ CoTA, if yes what were your lap times and would you happen to have any onboard videos I can drool over?

Thanks again!
Porsche desires everybody to keep their cars "as delivered". They are the fun police when it comes to this.
So for PCA (GTD) and Pirelli Trophy West you would have to have the "trophy" shock package in the car to stay within the rules. Thus keep your car 100% stock if thats the racing you decide to stick with and sell the JRZ. (PCA allow a "little" more aftermarket now however but not sure about shocks). If Trophy West allowed you to run just the MR carbon doors then that would be a nice move to get your weight right and also keep windows up/A/C on during PCA.

PCA GTD is getting a little better in terms of car count as more retired cars are showing up at select events but the Pirelli Trophy West are most likely waiting on PCNA to provide much needed new 718 clubsports.... so perhaps year 2020 will be a better GT4 car count for them. I agree on the GT3R and Cup MR lapping. It can be a little tough. Good practice however if ever planning to run IMSA GTD.

The cost to convert your car to full MR spec (doors, sways, shocks and wing) would most likely not be worth it for PCA or Trophy West unless you were planning on running a full season in that spec and wanted an "edge" on the competition. The available EVO kit of carbon fenders and bumpers on top of this would be just nuts to buy new for a PCA or Trophy season. (The best EVO car is a used EVO car.)

Your 981 CS is an excellent car for somebody looking to DE and club race POC and PCA.The larger tank also makes it a great car for somebody interested in an endurance racing series. The dual masters also make a great training car for somebody looking to eventually move up to IMSA or PWC.
Because your car is dual master, if you transition to a 718 MR you will feel at home with it.

If you are interested in running GT America next season, then now would be the time to sell the 981 GT4 as next year there will be certainly more 718 clubsports available in the market place and 981 prices will be affected.
(you could try and squeeze the rest of 2019 out of your 981 and sell it for less at the end of the year. It all depends on how soon you can get a 718 MR and if you really want to run one in some GT4 America events next year).
But if you are not planning on doing any GT4 America, then keep the 981 Clubsport and develop it for which ever series or majority of events you desire to run.

The Audi R8 is a nice race car. However, the low operating cost of the 718 and the abilty to run POC and PCA is great not only for additional track time but for resale too.

In regards to COTA, I have only been there twice. This year in my 718 MR for GT4 America it was cold and very wet. I lolly gagged around on 3 year old rain tires for one race and by no means laid down a respectable lap so my video/data would be fairly boring... surprisingly we came 2nd in class somehow.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:10 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Porsche desires everybody to keep their cars "as delivered". They are the fun police when it comes to this.
So for PCA (GTD) and Pirelli Trophy West you would have to have the "trophy" shock package in the car to stay within the rules. Thus keep your car 100% stock if thats the racing you decide to stick with and sell the JRZ. (PCA allow a "little" more aftermarket now however but not sure about shocks). If Trophy West allowed you to run just the MR carbon doors then that would be a nice move to get your weight right and also keep windows up/A/C on during PCA.

PCA GTD is getting a little better in terms of car count as more retired cars are showing up at select events but the Pirelli Trophy West are most likely waiting on PCNA to provide much needed new 718 clubsports.... so perhaps year 2020 will be a better GT4 car count for them. I agree on the GT3R and Cup MR lapping. It can be a little tough. Good practice however if ever planning to run IMSA GTD.

The cost to convert your car to full MR spec (doors, sways, shocks and wing) would most likely not be worth it for PCA or Trophy West unless you were planning on running a full season in that spec and wanted an "edge" on the competition. The available EVO kit of carbon fenders and bumpers on top of this would be just nuts to buy new for a PCA or Trophy season. (The best EVO car is a used EVO car.)

Your 981 CS is an excellent car for somebody looking to DE and club race POC and PCA.The larger tank also makes it a great car for somebody interested in an endurance racing series. The dual masters also make a great training car for somebody looking to eventually move up to IMSA or PWC.
Because your car is dual master, if you transition to a 718 MR you will feel at home with it.

If you are interested in running GT America next season, then now would be the time to sell the 981 GT4 as next year there will be certainly more 718 clubsports available in the market place and 981 prices will be affected.
(you could try and squeeze the rest of 2019 out of your 981 and sell it for less at the end of the year. It all depends on how soon you can get a 718 MR and if you really want to run one in some GT4 America events next year).
But if you are not planning on doing any GT4 America, then keep the 981 Clubsport and develop it for which ever series or majority of events you desire to run.

The Audi R8 is a nice race car. However, the low operating cost of the 718 and the abilty to run POC and PCA is great not only for additional track time but for resale too.

In regards to COTA, I have only been there twice. This year in my 718 MR for GT4 America it was cold and very wet. I lolly gagged around on 3 year old rain tires for one race and by no means laid down a respectable lap so my video/data would be fairly boring... surprisingly we came 2nd in class somehow.
Yes the CoTA event for you was not the best weather, any video showing the car is really helpful for me since I can compare straight away speeds and corner entry speeds to my videos.

With my 981 I can run the JRZ's (I also do have Trophy Spec suspension which I had to put back on for Trophy West) with PCA but under a GTB3 class if needed, and for example in Laguna Seca coming in July there is only one other 981 CS, and one 718 CS even on a 103 DB event (maybe east coast is better), so again not a lot of cars to compete against, but at least it will still be fun with the 40+ cars in the field.

BTW with POC you do not need a Porsche to run with them so only series I would not be able to run with the Audi would be PCA (unless its a DE/Time Trial)

I am working a deal with someone right now on a slightly used 718 MR so I could have it as soon as next week if needed and use it for Seca coming up in July instead of my 981.

Now a friend just decided today to order the Mercedes GT4 which the engine does not have to be revised until 40K kmh so now that car seems interesting to me.

Man picking the right car can be really draining!
Old 06-23-2019, 07:51 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

mine was a 100 liter, dual master A/C car.

Sold it to jump back into a cup

It was aweome to race
Old 06-23-2019, 10:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

BTW 177 @ Daytona is flying, I would assume that is close to 20MPH faster then my CS with the extra weight and less HP engine.
Alan, the early Trophy East spec cars, at weight with electric windows and air conditioning, on Pirellis, were only about 7-8 mph less than that at Daytona.

Here's Dylan Murcott at 169 mph in an RS1 Conti car:

Can't wait to hear what you think about the new car.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-23-2019, 11:22 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Alan, the early Trophy East spec cars, at weight with electric windows and air conditioning, on Pirellis, were only about 7-8 mph less than that at Daytona.

Here's Dylan Murcott at 169 mph in an RS1 Conti car

Can't wait to hear what you think about the new car.
Thanks Peter, seen this video before and a subscriber to his channel.

Curious what his car weights with him in the car as he was 5 mph faster on the back straight and 7mph faster on the front straight then I was at CoTA (mind officially blown) starting to wonder if this might be my main issue, or at least one of them
Old 06-23-2019, 11:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Curious what his car weights with him in the car as he was 5 mph faster on the back straight and 7mph faster on the front straight then I was at CoTA (mind officially blown) starting to wonder if this might be my main issue, or at least one of them
Hahaha! Only one of them, I think, Alan! You'll get there...
Old 06-24-2019, 02:41 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

RS1 car. They are well developed. Justin has all his speed secrets into these cars.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

RS1 car. They are well developed. Justin has all his speed secrets into these cars.
Justin certainly understands the set up on these cars, it comes as no surprise, he has tested and tested and tested and has loads of data to draw from to give his drivers a car they can drive at 9/10's without beating up the car and tire.
Charlie
Old 06-24-2019, 06:11 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

The minimum weight for CTSCC Clubsport cars was 1295 kilos if memory serves me correctly.

Charlie
Old 06-25-2019, 07:10 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

The minimum weight for CTSCC Clubsport cars was 1295 kilos if memory serves me correctly.

Charlie
With or without driver?

Quick Reply: 16' Clubsport market