BFG R1/R1s

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 06:49 PM
jonb94112
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BFG R1/R1s

Hi -

Does anyone have recent experience or feedback on using the R1 or R1S - comparisons with Hoosiers (R7s) or Hankooks (c51), hot tire pressures, setup information, etc would be much appreciated. Have been running R7's for awhile on a 2750 lb racecar, but have recently wanted to try the R1 as have heard some positive feedback on grip and longevity. There do not seem to be too many people running them these days and wondering if there is a reason for that or not. Any input would be great.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:27 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Lots of others here probably have better technical opinions. I've run BFG R1's in SP996 for quite a while. I've also run R7's in NASA (although far less frequently). The advantage to the R1 is longevity/cost. It's not uncommon to get 12 or more heat cycles out of the R1. Obviously, after a few cycles they go off prime performance like every other tire, but not nearly as sharply as the R7. That said the R7 has significantly better grip when new. I've found the R1 to be a very reliable, stable tire platform and inexpensive in comparison to the R7. I'm not an expert, but sticker to sticker, I believe the R7 is probably a second faster. That advantage might go away after 2-3 heat cycles and possibly after the first. Just my 2 cents. I never ran the R1S, as it was not the spec tire. I never heard particularly good reviews though.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:01 AM
jonb94112
Intermediate

Thank you for the feedback Horus. Were you running similar pressures on the R1's as compared to an R7? Did you find them to take longer to get up to operating temperature than the R7? I basically have only scrubbed in a set, but my initial reaction was that they seemed to take longer to get heat into than an R7. However, I am still surprised we don't see more of that tire in use as it seems like it should be a nice option.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:12 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by jonb94112
Thank you for the feedback Horus. Were you running similar pressures on the R1's as compared to an R7? Did you find them to take longer to get up to operating temperature than the R7? I basically have only scrubbed in a set, but my initial reaction was that they seemed to take longer to get heat into than an R7. However, I am still surprised we don't see more of that tire in use as it seems like it should be a nice option.
I would run them in NASA TT but as long a the Purple Crack pays contingency and BFG doesn’t I will run Hoosiers.

Peter
Old 06-21-2019, 11:53 AM
jonb94112
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I would run them in NASA TT but as long a the Purple Crack pays contingency and BFG doesn’t I will run Hoosiers.

Peter
They do now have a TT contingency program FYI. Same as the Hoosier program. Do you have favorable experience with them?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:16 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I've been running R1s for a few years, mostly in the Spring and in the Fall, when the temps are too cold for Pirelli slicks. Over 70 degrees, they get greasy. They were like iron, and as they deteriorate, they don't fall off that fast, but I've timed them out before I've corded them. I like 34 hot. They are much better than Nittos. BFGR1s is a great value. BTW, I use them on a 996 GT3. Probably a 1:35-6 at MO with the chicane, a second or 2 off Pirelli take-offs.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:17 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KOAN
I've been running R1s for a few years, mostly in the Spring and in the Fall, when the temps are too cold for Pirelli slicks. Over 70 degrees, they get greasy. They were like iron, and as they deteriorate, they don't fall off that fast, but I've timed them out before I've corded them. I like 34 hot. They are much better than Nittos. BFGR1s is a great value. BTW, I use them on a 996 GT3. Probably a 1:35-6 at MO with the chicane, a second or 2 off Pirelli take-offs.
^^ I agree on all points.

I've used them both on my Cayman. The R1 wears like iron, as has been said. But I'd choose the R1S any day. You can pretty much leave pit lane and start hammering it after a few corners. It's a very soft and grippy tire. Not so great in warmer temps. I stopped running them because I had rubbing issues with the fronts with both variants.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:12 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by jonb94112
They do now have a TT contingency program FYI. Same as the Hoosier program. Do you have favorable experience with them?
No I have never run them but if they had contingency will look into them for cost reasons.

Peter

Quick Reply: BFG R1/R1s