Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapping L & R tires for track use... Do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 12:59 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
Default swapping L & R tires for track use... Do you do it?

Is it worth it?

I figure the best price I can get to remount and balance tires is $120cdn, probably $130 after tax...

I have a set of used Toyo R1R tires in good condition, I've used them for 2 track days, about 100 miles of track running, and they were used for 2 trackdays before I got them...

The track I run at is clockwise and the L tires seem to wear more than the R ones, also inside shoulders more than outside....

Should I swap them now? or run a few more TD's.... I typically run about 50-60 miles per event...

I figure 4 new tires for me in Canada is going to run me $1200+
Old 06-17-2019, 01:41 PM
RolleiBob
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I did it one time to see how much it helped. Swapped left to right wheel and vice versa. It gave me an extra weekend. This is with RE71R. It was a hassle for me to have to take them to the tire shop, go back and get them, etc, so I did not do it again. I also tried just flipping the tires so they were running in the wrong direction. I did that after talking with a Michelin engineer I know. He said he should be okay except in the wet. Of course, the day I tried it, we had some rain and ... he was right, way different feeling running the wrong direction in the wet. RE71R are not the greatest in the rain to begin with. Reversing the tread pattern direction in the rain is not a good idea.

My left front is always the worst for wear as well, and I just don't have the trust to take them down to the cords as some people I run with do. I''m still searching for the magical tire that I hear people claim lasts for weekend after weekend. I get 4 to 6 days max depending on which tracks I go to. BUT, I don't trailer and have to drive to and from the track, so again, I'm extra cautious.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:56 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Just make sure that the tires are not directional. Then you cannot..
Old 06-17-2019, 02:17 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212

huh?
Old 06-17-2019, 03:52 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

I move my RE71Rs all around the car; back to front, side to side, etc--with my fwd car with stock (i.e. little to none) front camber it's either that or toss the tire with half of the tread remaining. MOF I'm at Mosport right now for a track day tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be visiting Brad at the track to get my left front flipped, at least......ideally you'd like to flip a left and a right-side tire at the same time to maintain the directionality but it doesn't always work out that way.

Gary
Old 06-17-2019, 05:43 PM
gmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I run RE71Rs on an e36 M3. With a square setup I rotate my tires left-right, front-rear to even out the wear. A Bridgestone engineer assured me that the tire can be run "backwards", just don't do it in the rain as other commentators have mentioned. Depending on the the track I'll flip the RE71R on the rim (doable since it is a symmetrical tread) - at Gingerman I get a lot more shoulder wear on front left so I flip. Other tracks like Road America or Putnam flipping is not needed since those tracks are not as harsh of the outside shoulder of the tire.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:45 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
huh?
Some tires have a rotation direction marked by an arrow on the outside (e.g. R888). It is mainly only important if there are wet conditions.
Some tires such as GY slicks are supposed to be mounted in one rolling direction. For these there is a chart from GY showing which side/corner should have the serial numbers facing in/out.

All said, yes, I sometimes remount my tires left-right to get a little more life.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:21 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Seemed fine but was difficult to get the same laptimes going backwards...
Old 06-19-2019, 11:33 AM
BlackHawkRacing
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gmuller
I run RE71Rs on an e36 M3. With a square setup I rotate my tires left-right, front-rear to even out the wear. A Bridgestone engineer assured me that the tire can be run "backwards", just don't do it in the rain as other commentators have mentioned. Depending on the the track I'll flip the RE71R on the rim (doable since it is a symmetrical tread) - at Gingerman I get a lot more shoulder wear on front left so I flip. Other tracks like Road America or Putnam flipping is not needed since those tracks are not as harsh of the outside shoulder of the tire.
Seconded. Also had a Bridgestone engineer assure me of the same thing.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:37 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I rotate my "directional" RE71R's all the time.

They only really need to face the correct direction in the wet.

I have not noticed a difference in the dry, and I rotate them every other track day (or every day if running the same track for multiple days).

I am not removing the tire from the wheel. I am just rotating left to right and right to left.

It does indeed add some life to the tires, an extra event at the very least.

YMMV...
Old 06-19-2019, 01:51 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I always swap sides on my NT01s at the end of track day or after 1.5 if 3 day event. With 2 jacks it is a 20 min workout. I also check my suspension, inner calipers/pads and remove tons extra rubber. It's make no financial and time sense to remount a tire on a rim.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:35 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

If tyres are not directional and the track is heavily balanced towards a certain direction of corners, could be worth swapping.
Have to also remember to reset tyre pressures if they have been adjusted hot before then!!
Old 06-28-2019, 09:49 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

If you're not rotating tires at Road America you're not driving fast enough. The front left takes a pounding there with all the clockwise turns, especially the fast ones (T1, T7, the carousel, and the Kink).
Old 06-28-2019, 11:57 AM
gmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
If you're not rotating tires at Road America you're not driving fast enough. The front left takes a pounding there with all the clockwise turns, especially the fast ones (T1, T7, the carousel, and the Kink).
I am without a doubt not driving fast enough! Need to get back there are practice some more. My main point is that longer tracks with more sweeping turns tend to put less pressure on my left front than shorter tracks with a couple of tight corners. For some reason I generate more tire wear at Gingerman than any other track.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:02 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

I am without a doubt not driving fast enough! Need to get back there are practice some more. My main point is that longer tracks with more sweeping turns tend to put less pressure on my left front than shorter tracks with a couple of tight corners. For some reason I generate more tire wear at Gingerman than any other track.
Badger Bimmer is having their O'Fast at RA in early October so sign up! I'll be there with a bunch of friends.

Quick Reply: swapping L & R tires for track use... Do you do it?