Sponsored by:

Mont Tremblant w/COMSCC, June 24/25

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:51 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Mont Tremblant w/COMSCC, June 24/25

June 24th is a driver's school, you'll get to drive four 15-20 minute sessions on track, and classroom instruction. June 25th is two practice sessions in the morning and 3-lap time trials in the afternoon. If you sign up for the time trial day you will have to get signed off to "solo" by your instructor after the driver's school day. If you don't get signed off you'll be refunded for the 2nd day.
Only a few days left to register!
https://www.comscc.org/

See ya there
Old 06-14-2019, 01:48 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll be there!
Old 06-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Wish I could make it!
Old 06-14-2019, 03:12 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwasilko
I'll be there!
Howdy Jeff! What you doin here?! Join us...

Just a few days away now
Old 06-14-2019, 03:39 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Wish I could make it!
C'mon, what else you gonna do on a Monday/Tuesday?!
Old 06-14-2019, 05:56 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Heads up Track friends

Sound restrictions have not changed (92dB) at LCMT but measuring methods would have changed significantly this year!

Stricter enforcement of the 92dB (overzealousness) combined with a number of additional measuring devices both infield and outfield of the track, caught 11 of us a few weeks back, and that included some stock GT4s and GT3rs's.

If you car is borderline on sound restricted tracks, bring turndowns or other mitigating measures.

Have a great event everyone !
Old 06-14-2019, 06:26 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
C'mon, what else you gonna do on a Monday/Tuesday?!
I wish! The story of my June and early July is prior engagements!
Old 06-15-2019, 04:23 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Thanks for the info! I *think* I'll be OK, bonestock 2.9 Cayman with pretty inoffensive Borla catback. How loud are stock GT4s and GT3RSs? I'll post your comments on the COMSCC forum to get the word out.

Originally Posted by DHI
Heads up Track friends
Sound restrictions have not changed (92dB) at LCMT but measuring methods would have changed significantly this year!
Stricter enforcement of the 92dB (overzealousness) combined with a number of additional measuring devices both infield and outfield of the track, caught 11 of us a few weeks back, and that included some stock GT4s and GT3rs's.
If you car is borderline on sound restricted tracks, bring turndowns or other mitigating measures.
Have a great event everyone !
Old 06-16-2019, 01:35 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The changes in the way sound is now being measured at the track has resulted in a considerable increase in the number of cars getting black flagged. Many GT4's and late model GT3's with stock exhausts are failing sound there now. My car, which is under the limit at Lime Rock, now fails at Tremblant. I have race headers and a non-race Fabspeed muffler. Turn-downs did not help me.

Needless to say, this has become a serious problem for those of us who enjoy driving at Tremblant
Old 06-16-2019, 02:25 AM
ZDan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
The changes in the way sound is now being measured at the track has resulted in a considerable increase in the number of cars getting black flagged. Many GT4's and late model GT3's with stock exhausts are failing sound there now. My car, which is under the limit at Lime Rock, now fails at Tremblant. I have race headers and a non-race Fabspeed muffler. Turn-downs did not help me.
Hmmm, what's your assessment of your car's noise level? Beginning to worry about my stock 2.9 with Borla catback, though it doesn't seem all that loud to me... Pondering getting stock catback exhaust for the car this week to ensure compliance w/ noise, but would like to avoid expending the time/money/effort...
Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My car (actually the cat back) was getting progressively louder after many track days. I was only over the sound limit at Tremblant by a few tenths is a db. I've since replaced the cat back with a stock OEM exhaust and it is now noticeably quieter.

With a 2.9 Cayman that is stock except for your Borla cat back I do not expect you will have a problem. But that's hard to say for certain. At my last event there it was the late model cars that were having the most problems, notably the GT cars. Interestingly, the PDK cars were exceeding the sound limit due to the "popping" noise they make when up shifting. That's in part due to the new methods they're using at the track to measure sound.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:43 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
My car (actually the cat back) was getting progressively louder after many track days. I was only over the sound limit at Tremblant by a few tenths is a db. I've since replaced the cat back with a stock OEM exhaust and it is now noticeably quieter.
With a 2.9 Cayman that is stock except for your Borla cat back I do not expect you will have a problem. But that's hard to say for certain. At my last event there it was the late model cars that were having the most problems, notably the GT cars. Interestingly, the PDK cars were exceeding the sound limit due to the "popping" noise they make when up shifting. That's in part due to the new methods they're using at the track to measure sound.
Hmm, found a 987.2 exhaust on ebay but it's in Cali and I'd need it in like a couple of days...
I took the car out today and revved her out a few times with the windows down, it just isn't that loud, I think you're right and I'll be fine. I think...

Old 06-16-2019, 08:40 PM
ZDan
Instructor

But then again there's this thread I found, with data suggesting that the Borla catback is quite loud:

https://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...peed-race.html
Old 06-17-2019, 01:08 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Dan, just bring the BRZ
I'll bring my stock catback on the STI, although I am pretty quiet with the stock cat still in place.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:35 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys, if anyone wants to join us at Calabogie July 8 and 9 Rennsport PCA will accept all makes of cars. Calabogie is less restrictive than LCMT for noise. Register on www.clubregistration.net
Just returned from Tremblant. Stock GT3 GT3RS Gt4 and 718 GTS all busted for sound. On the otheer hand the same cars with the exhaust valves wired shut passed sound! Cheap trick that works.

Best,

Quick Reply: Mont Tremblant w/COMSCC, June 24/25