Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dude sold all his track cars and built a $20K sim racing rig.... crazy or brilliant?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 12:17 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I think the other part of this which is understated here is accessibility. It is infinitely easier to get on my rig on a Saturday and run an endurance race with a bunch of other like minded nebbish nerds than any DE would be. Why on earth would I want to 1) load a car on a trailer (which would have to be stored elsewhere since I live so close in), 2) trailer to say summit point, 3) stay in hotel, 4) then lap with passing rules and with people with modern high HP turbo fan-dangled cars that won’t let you by since they have straight line speed.

Club racing is great too, but that too comes with a whole host of rules and risks of your weekend being screwed. And, many classes are so small now. Fact is, the cost for PCA racing really doesn’t justify the experience for many people in my age group (35-40). It isn’t a money thing; we have the money. It’s a bang for the buck thing.

That said, I would like to wheel 2 wheel with my BIL, with a car back home in FL. I am working on him. Unlikely to be a Porsche though.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:10 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
This is actually something that they've used for a demo on a traveling sim for some time. It's like the Tab command in iRacing for the predictive lap timing bar, but better and adds the ability to capture the sim video and data for later analysis in Circuit Tools 2.

I learned how to use MoTeC Interpreter (forerunner of i2 Standard and Pro) using GTR2 and GTR2 simulations and many people find ATLAS to be too cumbersome for simple analysis within iRacing.

Like real cars, the sim generated data using the mu plug-in in iRacing to output MoTeC .ld files makes good graphs and charts, but in practical use, the addition of synced video, WITHIN the analysis window, allows for better conclusions and easier assimilation of the information.

It's cool! About $1240 and should be available in August before Labor Day. You can pull the logger and predictive timer off the sim and put it in the real car, too.
This is pretty cool. Is it available for both Motec and VBOX or just VBOX?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:53 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SkeerRacing
When the sim is built correctly, with the correct software, and driven with the correct mindset, there is no tool that beats it.
eSports drivers are going to quickly start becoming real pro drivers, then the market will hit where eRacing will be so big that they will stay there.

As for data, I can export iRacing data to MoTeC. Took iRacing setups and put them on the real cars. They won in MX5 Cup
I think for the foreseeable future, sims are going to be most beneficial for those who can already drive competently at a respectable pace and want to learn lines setup changes on a car (given the sim is well programmed).

Going from track to sim, it's easy to reset your mind to accept that you won't feel all the forces, sounds, effects and all the other oddities of real life driving.

For a pure simracer to go right into a track car, that's a lot of information overload. Imagine always having a consistent brake pedal and then getting into a real car and all of a sudden, the pedal gets long or you start feeling more vibration and abs and other things going through your foot. Because they're such new sensations, it'll take time for someone to come upto speed. However, their car balance, lines on the track and understating what the car is doing should already be well ahead. Then there's the fear factor.

Even the guys who do these eSports and other races have a karting background. They just used eSports as an entry point. I do hope and agree it'll continue to grow. The equipment and sims will continue to advance also.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,854 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1

For a pure simracer to go right into a track car, that's a lot of information overload. Then there's the fear factor.
That has not been the case at all, at the highest level of sim racer, in my experience.

Many years ago, perhaps the best simracer in the world, Greg Huttu, was invited to fly in by a manufacturer from Europe and drive some cars at Road Atlanta. Never seen the track (but had thousands of laps on it), never driven a car on track!

Other than some motion sickness in the real car (imagine that, his inner ear had to recalibrate, usually it’s the other way around), he was up to speed right away. Not record pace, but enough to qualify mid-field in the most recent pro-race in those type of cars.

I think of so many really good pro drivers who, while some had some karting experience, most came directly out of sim racing. The factory (Sony PlayStation, NISMO, Mazda Motorsports) programs have brought some great talent out of sim racing regulars. Jan Mardenborough, Glen McGhee and many, many others.

They don’t even seem to have incidents in the same level as non sim racers with similar in-car experience.

Its a tool, not a toy. It pays dividends and has for a long time for club racers, pro racers and people who have never been in the car before, in my two decades of experience.

My focus IS on coaching experienced club and pro racers on sims, to evaluate and diagnose opportunities to do better while I can SEE and talk to them. It’s fantastic. Wheel speed and amplitude, crisis management, vision, pedal speed, all kinds of things are easily observed next to them on a static or motion sim.

I’m a believer. Not for everyone, but for those willing to apply the same resolute learning discipline as to driving IRL (in real life), it can pay off in spades.
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
ajcjr (06-26-2019), Paul Solk (06-30-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nizer
This is pretty cool. Is it available for both Motec and VBOX or just VBOX?
Both MoTeC i2 Pro and VBOX Circuit Tools allow the auto-syncing of captured video from a real car or a simulator session WITHIN the data analysis (squiggly lines) window.

For years, enterprising simmers have used video capture cards to capture on screen simulator video, then importing it into a “Camera View” window they insert in the MoTeC i2 Pro Analysis window, then syncing it with the data and recording the whole thing for analysis and study. You have to use a plug-in, a third party plug-in in your PC that allows iRacing to generate .ld MoTeC log files.

Like in real life, you have to take two generated files (data and video) and marry them in the MoTeC software with the sim generated data and video.

With the VBOX Lap Timer (which is a real logger and sophisticated display), it logs the output channels from the iRacing API as a .vbo file. The VBOX SimPack includes a video rendering capability to insert in the iRacing replay video a time stamp.

This allows you to open Circuit Tools 2 and automatically open both the replay video and the .vbo log files of the data (including tire temps and pressures, ride height, brake temps (IIRC)) automatically SYNCED! MUCH easier than the MoTeC process.

Then, you can compare laps side by side with data and video in CT2. Ready mid-August for retail release. I have half a dozen SimPacks pre-sold. Good stuff!

I’ll add that as more and more 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 Cup teams adopt Video VBOX HD2 in real life, the real life collected video and .vbo data will be directly, in the same window, and with the sim generated data and video, able to be compared. I have sold no less than 15 HD2’s to four current IMSA teams for at-track benefits, now we can extend this benefit off-track!
The following users liked this post:
Paul Solk (06-30-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 04:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

https://www.autosport.com/esports/fe...acing-rostrums
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-29-2019, 05:05 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Thanks for posting Peter. Very interesting read! I am finding that the public endurance races on iRacing is about as clean as you can get outside of closed leagues. Sprint racing, even in the top splits, can be a bit of a meat grinder. I have been running endurance races with a group for about the last month.

Quick Reply: Dude sold all his track cars and built a $20K sim racing rig.... crazy or brilliant?