Sponsored by:

Paddock fix for cracked Fabspeed exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 11:12 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Paddock fix for cracked Fabspeed exhaust

Doing DE at The Glen today. Car running fine. After the second session, pulling into the garage heard what sounded like a large exhaust leak. As you can see, this joint had cracked before, twice. First time, welded small crack. Second time welded another crack and reinforced. Today, complete failure of the welds. First thought was to find a welder but no one was around to weld stainless. Fabspeed Supercup system. 2.5 seasons old.

Thought a little outside the box. Went to Car Quest in town and found an exhaust reducer to fit inside the cracked tube and they were nice enough to use their chop saw to cut the large diameter side to fit flush with the flange.

Drilled thru the tube and inner sleeve and used M5 bolts with double nuts /high temp loctite to hold it all together.

Its mechanically fixed and reinstalled. It is not airtight becuase the sleeve was not exactly a press fit inside the tube so there is a small residual exhaust leak.

But I was back on track this afternoon and will be again tomorrow.

(Obviously will be contacting Fabspeed on Monday to get a new pipe)
Old 05-19-2019, 12:30 AM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw you guys deep in surgery on it and was afraid to ask. Great job!
Old 05-19-2019, 09:39 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Good innovative solution at the track. Hmmmm……….another Fabspeed weld break.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:11 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm glad Fabspeed doesn't build passenger jets.
The following users liked this post:
brownan (07-03-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 01:54 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to fabspeed. Products sound great but quality really needs help. Had a little battle with cracked new header from them, only a few hundred mikes on it. Had to argue with them to get them to honor warranty. And of course no compensation for the hundreds of $$ in labor expense ?
Old 05-19-2019, 06:45 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
Welcome to fabspeed. Products sound great but quality really needs help. Had a little battle with cracked new header from them, only a few hundred mikes on it. Had to argue with them to get them to honor warranty. And of course no compensation for the hundreds of $$ in labor expense ?
Inspect the failed weld to determine if full penetration or so dark which indicates too much heat while wielding.act like you are an expert but ask probinq question which you know the answer to so they try to cover up the poor quality control
Old 05-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by lmnsblu355
Doing DE at The Glen today. Car running fine. After the second session, pulling into the garage heard what sounded like a large exhaust leak. As you can see, this joint had cracked before, twice. First time, welded small crack. Second time welded another crack and reinforced. Today, complete failure of the welds. First thought was to find a welder but no one was around to weld stainless. Fabspeed Supercup system. 2.5 seasons old.

Thought a little outside the box. Went to Car Quest in town and found an exhaust reducer to fit inside the cracked tube and they were nice enough to use their chop saw to cut the large diameter side to fit flush with the flange.

Drilled thru the tube and inner sleeve and used M5 bolts with double nuts /high temp loctite to hold it all together.

Its mechanically fixed and reinstalled. It is not airtight becuase the sleeve was not exactly a press fit inside the tube so there is a small residual exhaust leak.

But I was back on track this afternoon and will be again tomorrow.

(Obviously will be contacting Fabspeed on Monday to get a new pipe)
Hey Scott from Fabspeed

I am very sorry to read about the cracked weld on your system. If you could reach out to me directly we can get this situation handled immediately. 267 742 3049

Old 05-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I would weld it all back up solid and fogetaboutit...
Old 05-20-2019, 04:12 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'm working on a more permanent solution now. I don't think simply welding the area will work because the metal has become very brittle and has already been repaired twice. I'm either going to get a new section of tubing and cut out the old and weld in the new with reinforcements or get a new pipe from fabspeed. They have been very responsive and are checking in to compatibility between their current system and my 2.5 year old parts.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:09 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I would not. SS is very difficult to weld properly and cracks easily. The location of the failed weld is thin tubing to a thick flange. It is a difficult weld but the preparation of the two dissimilar thickness needs the proper welding engineering and Fabspeed is demonstrating they have a weld engineer on staff. The thick piece is acting like a heat sink. It is difficult to see, is the thin-wall tubing welded to the flange on the exterior side of the flange, not on the gasket side of the flange?

Also, if a true jig setup is not used to mate all the part sections before welding, then excessive stress is put on individual pieces when bolting the sections together on the engine.

Fapspeed could use engineering help and stress analysis to improve the robustness of the design and fabrication

Last edited by T&T Racing; 05-20-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:14 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

To update this thread, Fabspeed has been very responsive and really tried to make things right. Their new system is not compatible with my 2 year old system so they could not just send me new pipes from their stock. They quickly offered to take the exhaust back to fix it under warranty but between the shipping to / from, it would not have been ready for the WGI race. So they said to have it welded locally then send it to them and they would fix it permanently. They even over-nighted a section of stainless tubing and flanges in case my local fabricator needed it.

After the race, I shipped my entire system to Fabspeed and they welded in new sections of pipe/new flanges on both sides and reinforced the brackets to hang the mufflers.

Overall I have to say Fabspeed honored their warranty with no hesitation. I hope the new tubing/ welds holds up better than the original.

The following users liked this post:
M_Weining (06-29-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by lmnsblu355
To update this thread, Fabspeed has been very responsive and really tried to make things right. Their new system is not compatible with my 2 year old system so they could not just send me new pipes from their stock. They quickly offered to take the exhaust back to fix it under warranty but between the shipping to / from, it would not have been ready for the WGI race. So they said to have it welded locally then send it to them and they would fix it permanently. They even over-nighted a section of stainless tubing and flanges in case my local fabricator needed it.

After the race, I shipped my entire system to Fabspeed and they welded in new sections of pipe/new flanges on both sides and reinforced the brackets to hang the mufflers.

Overall I have to say Fabspeed honored their warranty with no hesitation. I hope the new tubing/ welds holds up better than the original.

Happy to help! Hope you kicked @ss at the track!!
Old 07-03-2019, 01:55 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

My most recent Fabspeed issue was a broken hangar strap at the WGI club race. I remain skeptical about the quality, but it's on the car so will keep using until it really dies or gets killed somehow.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:56 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by brownan
My most recent Fabspeed issue was a broken hangar strap at the WGI club race. I remain skeptical about the quality, but it's on the car so will keep using until it really dies or gets killed somehow.
I'll shoot you a PM

Quick Reply: Paddock fix for cracked Fabspeed exhaust