Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Pagid RS29 remove deposits from stock pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 02:37 AM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Will Pagid RS29 remove deposits from stock pads?

I had a new set of OEM pads and rotors installed this spring prior to the start of track season. I've been getting faster and faster at HDPE events in my 718 Boxster S, but have wanted to stick with OEM components until I had a specific reason to upgrade.

Well, that reason appeared. After a great weekend with PCA at Thunder Hill 5-mile (in both directions!), I ended up with some pretty intense pad deposits on the rotors and vibrations despite doing my best to let the pads cool down, etc. The rotors are not cracked and they're barely worn relative to the original thickness, but vibrations are definitely there.

I bought a set of Pagid RS29s and put them in on all four corners. I haven't had a chance to try to accomplish the "bedding" process Pagid recommends yet. Questions:

1) Is there anything I can do to the rotors myself to remove the deposits from the OEM pads - go over them with steel wool, etc.?
2) Will the Pagid RS29s eventually scrape the deposits off?

I have a set of new rotors sitting in my garage - seems absurd to throw away the current ones that are basically brand new!

Any thoughts?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:38 AM
will968
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Deposits will come off with light braking - street driving. Try that first.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:19 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by will968
Deposits will come off with light braking - street driving. Try that first.
They will? Hasn’t been my experience, for sure...
Old 05-13-2019, 11:33 AM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

can't comment for sure on the use of Pagid, but way back when I used to drive to and from the track without the use of a trailer, I learned a trick. often there would be bad deposits on the front rotors which would shudder horribly with light braking on the drive home if I swapped to the street pads right at the end of the day at the track. but if I drove home on the race pads (sqeeeeeeek! sqeeeeeek! grindddddd!) by the time I got home the rotors would be totally cleaned up and ready to have the street pads installed and then they were smooth as silk no shuddering. I was using Hawk Blue pads at the time, but I believe that pretty much any aggressive race pad would do the same job. (they are very abrasive at low temps compared to a normal street pad)
Old 05-13-2019, 04:11 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Hawk Blues are my go to pad for cleaning any deposits off the rotors. I keep an used set that I use just for that purpose. Can't comment re the RS29.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:58 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by M_Weining
Hawk Blues are my go to pad for cleaning any deposits off the rotors. I keep an used set that I use just for that purpose. Can't comment re the RS29.
Same here. A few stops with a set of Hawk Blues will clean 'em up. Did this for my own car last year -- heavy-footed guest driver at the Glen. Then the Pagids go back in.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:30 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 110 Posts

You can also use a rotor hone

Perhaps Hawk Blue would be less work
Old 05-13-2019, 09:21 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

In my experience the Pagid RS14 compound is very compatible with the OEM Textar materials, and I would think this is probably the case with the RS29 compound also. There are some compounds that do not seem to be compatible with the OEM street material deposits, and can cause severe brake judder when changing to track pads. So, you may be OK with your pad selection.

I have also used Windex for cleaning rotors when using compounds that were not so compatible. I learned that from some BMW guys when I tracked an M3, and it worked well.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:53 PM
eltoshan
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

At least on my old M4 the RS29 always removed pad deposits just driving to and from the track
Old 05-16-2019, 02:47 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hawk Blues will resurface them. lol

Quick Reply: Will Pagid RS29 remove deposits from stock pads?