Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
2B, thanks -- makes sense. I have an AiM SoloDL from my GT4/GT3 now in my Radical now but don't have any analog expansion units yet. I'll get one...
You can't add analog channels to any Solo product (Solo, SDL, S2, S2DL). You would have to move to different logger to be able to add analog channels.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You can't add analog channels to any Solo product (Solo, SDL, S2, S2DL). You would have to move to different logger to be able to add analog channels.
Actually, the MBE 992 features CAN and AIM supports it, so he may be in luck.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Actually, the MBE 992 features CAN and AIM supports it, so he may be in luck.
That's a long way away from analog inputs, for those of us without CAN. Like our 924 with an old but still tickin' (except for one internal sensor) MyChron3.

Which I'm suspecting will have to be replaced with an MXM when it finally kicks... if it ever does (been in there since '04)...
Old 05-15-2019, 11:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 924RACR
That's a long way away from analog inputs, for those of us without CAN. Like our 924 with an old but still tickin' (except for one internal sensor) MyChron3.

Which I'm suspecting will have to be replaced with an MXM when it finally kicks... if it ever does (been in there since '04)...
Considering the MBE 992 has channel outputs on CAN for water temp, oil pressure, engine speed, throttle position, any of the systems built in the last eight years should get all that through two wires.

Yep, I’ve been selling a lot of MC3 and XG-Log replacements in the last year. Mostly due to the fact than those antiques won’t integrate GPS or the SmartyCam. But you’re covered with the DL-1!

I’ll make you a special deal on an MXm, when the time comes...
Old 05-16-2019, 11:40 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Why does a dry sump increase HP. The dry sump pump is primary oil pressure from one pump section and scavenging oil and air for a minimum of 2 pump sections. That is more parasitic HP than just an oil pump for oil pressure.

I am 😕
If you can spin it fast enough it will create low pressure in the crankcase. There's a good Racecar Engineering article on it from a few years back. I don't want to try and summarize it having read it long ago, but the simple take away was that a little bit of vacuum in the crankcase can yield overall hp increases. The low pressure below the piston and the high pressure in the combustion chamber ends up creating a net force increase to the crankshaft.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Dry sump pumps are way less parasitic than the old Aviad pumps, T&T.

The increased power comes from better windage and fluid control in the pan. With no need to carry as much in the pan, you have no resistance from the throws constantly thrashing through the oil, you can add scrapers to keep the oil from frothing and “roping” around the crank, et cetera. BIG difference.

While I’ve heard the negative pressure point, it’s not really adding any measurable power, especially on big motors, AFAIK.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:14 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Why does a dry sump increase HP. The dry sump pump is primary oil pressure from one pump section and scavenging oil and air for a minimum of 2 pump sections. That is more parasitic HP than just an oil pump for oil pressure.

I am ��
Originally Posted by 2BWise
If you can spin it fast enough it will create low pressure in the crankcase. There's a good Racecar Engineering article on it from a few years back. I don't want to try and summarize it having read it long ago, but the simple take away was that a little bit of vacuum in the crankcase can yield overall hp increases. The low pressure below the piston and the high pressure in the combustion chamber ends up creating a net force increase to the crankshaft.
Also increases the ring seal and reduces losses from oil windage.
You eliminate a lot of the pumping losses in the crankcase too (similar to how gun drilling a crankshaft promotes pressure equalization across the cylinder bays).

Sometimes I miss when I did this professionally. Rose colored glasses I suppose.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:33 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 270 Posts

[QUOTE=BillNye;15844652]Also increases the ring seal and reduces losses from oil windage.
You eliminate a lot of the pumping losses in the crankcase too (similar to how gun drilling a crankshaft promotes pressure equalization across the cylinder bays).

This assumes a windage tray is installed in the dry sump oil pan. The oil falls down in the same way and pattern whether it is dry sump or wet sump

The dry sump allows the engine roll center and cog to be lower, better for suspension tuning.

Maybe the engine produces more gross up with a dry sump BUT the dry sump has a minimum of three gear sets, one for oil supply and 2 for scavenging vs one for wet sump. Believe the HP to run the dry sump oil pump is such that the net HP at the fly wheel is less for a dry sump set up.

Dry dumps are to used lower the cog and roll center if the car and to improve engine reliability.

Quick Reply: Wet sump and high G forces