Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun Screen @ The Track

Old 05-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Sun Screen @ The Track

Other than Laguna Seca, and it can get hot there too, our West tracks are in very warm areas, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Chuckwalla, Thunderhill, etc. etc. Therefore most will be using sun screen. I subscribe to that model, and recently at Chuckwalla, located between Indio and Blythe (= bloody hot from April through October). I brought my trusty Banana Boat sun screen along, SPF 50.

I applied (Don't spray on your face, spray on hands and rub it in is the proper application technique I am told) the sun screen to my face, about 1X per 90 minutes. Later in the day when it was 100 F +, I was driving the track, and began to notice a stinging in my eyes, brow sweat was bringing that damn sun screen into my eyes. Very irritating/annoying. Kind of difficult to run your eyes through a closed dace helmet, at speed. The next week, I was having a pre-scheduled Blue Light dermatology procedure, and there they recommend Banana Boat, Simply Protect, baby. It's SPF 50+ and water resistant for 80 minutes. I read the label before buying it, what stood out to me, "tear free." Does it offer full protection from UVA A and UVA B sun exposure? To be determined, but by god, it doesn't burn.

This is now my go to track sun screen, as well as wearing long sleeved shirts, and a big hat. Sun induced skin damage is serious business, sun induced basal cell carcinoma (aka skin cancer) , can be greatly inconvenient. In rare cases in can kill you. And then we have the old standby disease that has a much higher probability of killing you, ask Bob Marley, melanoma. As with nearly everything in life, there are compromises build into most, if not all, products. Sun screen is not to be excluded from this broad brushed statement.

Last edited by Martin S.; 05-08-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:53 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm a big fan of sunscreen too, I've been using Klenskin shower on sunscreen, I do a quick shower at the hotel before heading out to the track and apply it in the shower. And then at the track, after lunch, I refresh my sunscreen with
Nivea Sun Protect Super Water ge Nivea Sun Protect Super Water ge
l, it is almost like an aloe looking clear gel with no greasy feel. Although I frequently get lazy and don't refresh my sunscreen at lunch, I have never gotten a burn (or excessive sun) when using the Klenskin only.

No affiliation, just a happy customer, and as a cancer survivor (DLBCL) I am fanatic about suscreen and these are my two favorites. Hopefully they don't have any of the "bad" ingredients...
Old 05-08-2019, 11:02 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I never put sunscreen above my cheek bones and nose. I wear a hat and sunglasses so it's not worth the sweaty lotion getting in my eyes.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:14 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 81 Posts

Just to spice things up is there an association between Vit D deficiency and modern sun avoidance measures (hats sunscreens long sleeves)?
Old 05-09-2019, 01:57 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Anything that has matte finish I believe creates less irritation, but I never stop to buy these things. I always get whatever I find in the bathroom and take it with me. I always wear sunscreen, even in the office. But I tend to have low Vitamin D, but almost everyone I know have low D as well. I take supplement Vitamin D and 6 months later I'm back to normal. Also, important, especially at Willow, Buttonwillow etc, I always wear my Stand 21 gloves - hands get a lot of sun exposure. Always sunglasses as well. Well, I haven't been to a track in a while anyway so maybe good for skin this way.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:56 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I always wear a lot of sun screen. Especially at the track or outdoor. Events. I use blue lizard sport. Doesn’t run into my eyes. Protects very well.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:41 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts

A trick that has been used in motorcycle racing for years, is to apply a maxi pad (yes, feminine hygiene product) to the brow of your helmet. Absorbs sweat and prevents it running into your eyes. Laugh, but it works.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:31 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 285 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
A trick that has been used in motorcycle racing for years, is to apply a maxi pad (yes, feminine hygiene product) to the brow of your helmet. Absorbs sweat and prevents it running into your eyes. Laugh, but it works.
Black flag marshal "Why did you spin?
Me "My maxi pad fell in front of my eyes and I panicked"
Old 05-09-2019, 11:41 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 81 Posts

If you wear a cap or a helmet why do you need sunscreen on your forehead?
Old 05-09-2019, 01:15 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

There was an alert the other day that sunscreen may be dangerous to use. Something about the chemicals being absorbed and appearing in your bloodstream almost immediately. You can't win. Stay inside and sit in your chair and don't move.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Danger of Sun Screens

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
There was an alert the other day that sunscreen may be dangerous to use. Something about the chemicals being absorbed and appearing in your bloodstream almost immediately. You can't win. Stay inside and sit in your chair and don't move.
Glad to see that others are concerned about the health of their skin.

I read this study as well. When you read the label of even SS made of babies, it's a chemical nightmare. After my recent Blue Light treatment, a so called pre-skin cancer killer, 16 minutes in front of some Blue Light, I use Banana Boat Simply Protect SPF 50 for "baby", and Zinc Oxide on my nose, just like you see on lifeguard noses in summer. It seems that every SS formulation has it's potential downsides. Since SS is OTC, it is not subject to FDA scrutiny. That study you mentioned should shed some light on the subject.

I now wear a broad brimmed hat while out in the sun...not a "hat guy" so this is a hassle....and the above topical SS applications.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Originally Posted by Martin S.
Glad to see that others are concerned about the health of their skin.

I read this study as well. When you read the label of even SS made of babies, it's a chemical nightmare. After my recent Blue Light treatment, a so called pre-skin cancer killer, 16 minutes in front of some Blue Light, I use Banana Boat Simply Protect SPF 50 for "baby", and Zinc Oxide on my nose, just like you see on lifeguard noses in summer. It seems that every SS formulation has it's potential downsides. Since SS is OTC, it is not subject to FDA scrutiny. That study you mentioned should shed some light on the subject.

I now wear a broad brimmed hat while out in the sun...not a "hat guy" so this is a hassle....and the above topical SS applications.
When we had kids, they told us to not use sunscreen on them. Their skin surface area in relation to overall body volume is way different than an adult. The chemicals into their body would be way higher than that of an adult.

I've found the stick sunscreen to be good on my face for not getting in my eyes.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:55 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Tracks in the east can also get very hot. Pocono, Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Summit Point, Mid Ohio, NJMP, Palmer, Monticello, etc

Ive found that if you put on good quality sunscreen in the morning, you dont run the risk of it streaming into your eyes later in the day.

I also wear a balaclava which helps to catch any sweat inside a helmet, reducing the risk

I also wear a baseball cap most of the day when Im not wearing a helmet - so I dont have any issue with my forehead or eyes needing more sunscreen.

Sun Bum is Paba free and works well. 30 spf works fine. If its very sunny - I'm in the enclosed trailer anyway.

Never thought we would be discussing sunscreen on a track thread.

God - get me back on a track .....
Old 05-09-2019, 06:37 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Ive found that if you put on good quality sunscreen in the morning, you dont run the risk of it streaming into your eyes later in the day.

I also wear a balaclava which helps to catch any sweat inside a helmet, reducing the risk

I also wear a baseball cap most of the day when Im not wearing a helmet - so I dont have any issue with my forbehead.

The best sunscreen is elta MD Skincare, UV lotion,
SP30+, Zinc Oxide 7.0%, Octinoxate 7.5%, a moisturizing sunscreen, transparent zinc oxide, no white showing after rubbing in. Dermatologists highly recommended, both UVA (aging) and UVB (burning) rays protection.

Purchase the sunscreen on Amazon, it is so smooth going on to your skin
Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Very, very fair skin and a lot of burns as a child. (pre-SPF days)
Had my share of blue light visits and a few nicks as well.
I have to be super careful. I wear a hat everywhere and any time. I use this lotion too.

One lesson I learned the hard way at the track is to be very careful about HOW I wash my hands.
Otherwise, I can be covered head to foot, face properly gooped up, but get burned hands.

Lots of hydration means more than normal number of visits and hand washing. I wash hands palm to palm to avoid washing the suntan lotion off.

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I was having a pre-scheduled Blue Light dermatology procedure, and there they recommend Banana Boat, Simply Protect, baby. It's SPF 50+ and water resistant for 80 minutes. I read the label before buying it, what stood out to me, "tear free." Does it offer full protection from UVA A and UVA B sun exposure? To be determined, but by god, it doesn't burn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sun Screen @ The Track