Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ski racing vis a vis driving a road course?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 11:19 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Ski racing vis a vis driving a road course?

As a ski racer we talk about holding a high line or turning early rather than skiing to the gate. The idea is to avoid progressively later turns which eventually lead to scrubbing speed or skiing out. Granted you can be too conservative and, consequently, slow as well.

Is this essentially the same as running a late apex? On a hill the concept of holding a high line is immediately clear rather than dropping to the gate.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:44 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I think there are many parallels. I think you mean the high line as classic line. It is like the safe late apex. The aggressive line in skiing or on track increases your commitment and inability to recover from an error...i.e. more risk. Problems in patience, turn initiation, commitment are very similar to stuff like trail braking where someone gets on the gas too early arriving at the apex and then having to let off and then commit to throttle again. Those things cost you time.

I'm not a ski racer but have ski raced to a limited degree over many decades. I'm still a relic skiing "FIS world cup" slalom skis as all mountain skis. So I think I know where you are going and yes you are on the right track.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:34 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 764 Likes on 387 Posts

The "high line" in ski racing is just like a late apex in car racing. That is a nice safe line but generally not the fastest. The faster and more control I got skiing, the lower my line got. The same has been true in car racing. The faster I get, the earlier my apexes get.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:09 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
The "high line" in ski racing is just like a late apex in car racing. That is a nice safe line but generally not the fastest. The faster and more control I got skiing, the lower my line got. The same has been true in car racing. The faster I get, the earlier my apexes get.
Done both, skiing and racing, and this rings very true.. Not the fastest for every corner
Old 04-26-2019, 12:10 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

^ What they said.

T14a at VIR is a classic example of where it pays to have a high line so one can then 'ski' down roller coaster into hog's pen.

The other parallel (ski joke) is to avoid holding the ski/car on the high line if doing so is going to create too much scrub or distance travelled. Sometimes it's best to let the ski/car 'run' to maintain speed and momentum and then gradually try to recover optimal line over the next turns.

As with all things it depends on skill, tactics, consistency, speed on any given turn shape, elevation changes, grip, feel. Often one can go faster on a greater distance travelled line.

Thomas Grandi tended to ski a higher rounder line (more distance travelled) in GS and was a consistent podium threat with a kickass win at Alta Badia using a rather round line.

Bode did whatever the hell he wanted. Often a very direct early apex risk line. Risk:reward was high. Master at letting the ski run even when perilously off line.

Ted Ligety somewhere in between.

There are similar basic principles but no absolutes. Run as fast as you can on a given line and don't make errors

Last edited by jdistefa; 04-26-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

I just wanna see more of Lindsey Vonn...wearing less
Old 04-26-2019, 03:17 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I just wanna see more of Lindsey Vonn...wearing less
Meh. Saw her from time to time in my previous life. Much more a fan of Julia Mancuso
Old 04-26-2019, 03:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't deny her either! But I believe she is married
Old 04-26-2019, 03:39 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is really similar only in a situation where you have two corners very close to each other so you take a high line to be ready for the next opposite direction corner. On a slalom ski course this obviously applies to almost every corner.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
This is really similar only in a situation where you have two corners very close to each other so you take a high line to be ready for the next opposite direction corner. On a slalom ski course this obviously applies to almost every corner.
agree with this and jdstefa’s example.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:56 PM
mobius911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Was thinking about this recently as well, and there are a number of similarities. Probably why the Mahres (and others) got into car racing after retiring from the World Cup- it pushes the same buttons. Here are some overlaps I see (others have noted many of them):
  • Line is critical to a fast run/lap
  • A stivot is very similar to 'rotating' the car- deliberately inducing a higher slip angle at rear to change direction faster
  • Course/track camber has to be taken into account
  • Just like a series of turns on a road course, sometimes the fastest ski line has to be sacrificed to optimize the final corner, such as going from a flush to a hairpin in slalom
  • Load change fore/aft and side to side is similar, and understeer and oversteer concepts are similar. Did Lindsey go off with her tips leading, or her butt leading?

Last edited by mobius911; 04-26-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mobius911
Was thinking about this recently as well, and there are a number of similarities. Probably why the Mahres (and others) got into car racing after retiring from the World Cup- it pushes the same buttons. Here are some overlaps I see (others have noted many of them):
  • Line is critical to a fast run/lap
  • A stivot is very similar to 'rotating' the car- deliberately inducing a higher slip angle at rear to change direction faster
  • Course/track camber has to be taken into account
  • Just like a series of turns on a road course, sometimes the fastest ski line has to be sacrificed to optimize the final corner, such as going from a flush to a hairpin in slalom
  • Load change for/aft and side to side is similar, and understeer and oversteer concepts are similar. Did Lindsey go off with her tips leading, or her butt leading?
^^This^^

Tips leading...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Now I'm in my happy place
Old 04-26-2019, 07:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hahaha! It's all geometry.

The rate, location relative to the corner and the amplitude of the direction change...
Old 04-26-2019, 07:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Mmm hmmm...geometry...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Ski racing vis a vis driving a road course?