Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No dust boots with racing calipers for street?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 10:55 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts
Default No dust boots with racing calipers for street?

For brake kits that include true racing calipers (I.e. AP Racing CP 8350) where stainless steel pistons are used, no dust boots, no corrosion resistant coating, and anti-knock back springs ... I’m wondering how bad these are for street driving? I am asking for a 70/30 street/track car. I want the benefits of a true racing caliper for the track but also want a balance of street ability for a car that is not a dedicated track car. Here are the things I have read that worry me:

- No dust boots allow dirt into pistons thereby prematurely wearing them, maybe even leading to failure (Essex site implies they get around this)
- Caliper corrosion with un-painted surface
- Anti-knock back springs cause wear on pads during street driving that reduces pad life and mpg

For those that have a similar setup on a non-dedicated track car, how compromised is the street-ability?
Old 04-23-2019, 04:42 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

70% street is still mostly a street car?

What kind of car are we taking about? What tires are you planning on running?

What do you think the benefits are of a true racing caliper?

Chances are the solution you are looking for is stick to stock calipers and use track pads and rotors.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:10 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

While I am not familiar with the specific caliper you mentioned, the conventional wisdom has typically been to avoid racing calipers for street use. The lack of dust boots is OK for race cars that are serviced frequently (including rebuilding of calipers). You may find this to be suboptimal for a car that sees significant street time. If the car you're wanting to upgrade brakes for is the early 911 in your avatar, a good option is calipers from a Boxster or other modern Porsche along with upgraded rotors. If you do a search, you'll find some threads discussing options and probably mentioning vendors who can help too.

Scott
Old 04-24-2019, 10:05 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

Asking about my current 991 3.4, or a future track car to be (probably E46 M3). In either case I am investigating brake solutions. I know I have many options, was just at a track day two weeks ago and someone was talking up the CP8350 AP racing caliper since it was relatively inexpensive, had a very common pad shape, and could fit a 32mm rotor for good heat sink capability.

Regardless I think you answered my question. I’ll stay away from non-dust boot calipers until I am 100% track.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:29 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
Asking about my current 991 3.4, or a future track car to be (probably E46 M3). In either case I am investigating brake solutions. I know I have many options, was just at a track day two weeks ago and someone was talking up the CP8350 AP racing caliper since it was relatively inexpensive, had a very common pad shape, and could fit a 32mm rotor for good heat sink capability.

Regardless I think you answered my question. I’ll stay away from non-dust boot calipers until I am 100% track.
If you are running street tires, running bigger brakes is a waste as your brakes will simply overpower your tires as your braking performance will always be dictated by your tire grip. Keep in mind that for Porsches, there is always an opportunity to upgrade with larger Porsche calipers if required. It’s usually no more expensive and more reliable - That’s what most of us do with Porsche race cars.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
If you are running street tires, running bigger brakes is a waste as your brakes will simply overpower your tires as your braking performance will always be dictated by your tire grip. Keep in mind that for Porsches, there is always an opportunity to upgrade with larger Porsche calipers if required. It’s usually no more expensive and more reliable - That’s what most of us do with Porsche race cars.
Originally Posted by Maxhouse97

I track an E46M3 . I have brembo 4 pot 355 on front and stock caliper in rears. Pagid RS-29's. No duct cooling. Brakes have been great.

Quick Reply: No dust boots with racing calipers for street?