Sponsored by:

Cool shirt system

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 01:23 AM
No-Substitute
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cool shirt system

I’m looking at getting one of the cool shirt systems with forced, top mount, air for my Stilo helmet.
My plan is to go with the cool shirt brand unless convinced there is something better. Winding Road has 15% off.
Any better systems to help fight these crazy hot and humid summers on the gulf coast?
Old 04-20-2019, 11:05 AM
Ric In RVA
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Back when I was racing in Hot Humid Virginia a cool shirt was a godsend.

I made my own out of a suitable cooler, a bilge pump and bought a shirt and lines. I got a much better fit since I chose the cooler shape and quality.

I learned one thing if you decide to build your own. You need some form of flow restriction in the line otherwise it can get too cold. You want it to move but not always be bringing 32 degree water up.

Either way bought or built you will love it!!!! Sitting on the hot grid was always way more comfortable than standing next to the car!!!!
Old 04-20-2019, 11:55 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Coolshirts are the most common. There are a couple of systems that run on refrigerant instead of ice, but they are $4k plus. There is a new one that came out, but I can't remember the name. If I see it again, I'll post back.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:13 PM
No-Substitute
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Coolshirts are the most common. There are a couple of systems that run on refrigerant instead of ice, but they are $4k plus. There is a new one that came out, but I can't remember the name. If I see it again, I'll post back.
There’s no doubt that I want and need one, I’m just wondering if there are better brands or things I should consider.
Thanks for responding!
Old 04-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool**** seems to be the most common around the paddock, I have one and have no complaints. A few guys have the F.A.S.T brand systems, pretty much the same but have different connectors. We all learned the hard way during the August VIR Chump race that the connectors weren't compatible.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:09 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
Cool**** seems to be the most common around the paddock, I have one and have no complaints. A few guys have the F.A.S.T brand systems, pretty much the same but have different connectors. We all learned the hard way during the August VIR Chump race that the connectors weren't compatible.
One of them works with both systems, the other is system specific, something about a pin in the connector. Unfortunately, I can't remember which one is universal, but I want to say the cool shirt that works with either and fast only works with fast. Could be the other way around though.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:45 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I put a toggle switch on my dash to turn it on and off. I had a controller on an old car that changed the rate of flow but the toggle works great.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I can't find the one I was thinking of, but I'm going on a mission to find it. Here's one I just saw http://www.kool3.com/ho

And another that I've never seen in the wild https://trofeomotorsport.com/how-to-...-hot-race-car/

http://kustomkomponents.com/products/intercooler.php
Old 04-21-2019, 03:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I run the Cool box in both my IMSA car and PWC car.
The helmet blower is a nice feature.

The best helmet blower on the market would be the Kustomkomponents helmet blower. It has alot of force. $7500.00 however....

In the heat, all helmet blowers are not blowing cold air, but at least they are blowing. I think they tend to help a little.

I had a RINI shirt in PCA. Small and lightweight. Not legal in IMSA however so i had to sell it.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:33 PM
No-Substitute
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I run the Cool box in both my IMSA car and PWC car.
The helmet blower is a nice feature.

The best helmet blower on the market would be the Kustomkomponents helmet blower. It has alot of force. $7500.00 however....

In the heat, all helmet blowers are not blowing cold air, but at least they are blowing. I think they tend to help a little.

I had a RINI shirt in PCA. Small and lightweight. Not legal in IMSA however so i had to sell it.
That’s exactly what I was looking for, along with the other folks. Thanks for the response!
Nothing major here. Just looking for something to handle time trials and local racing, but in oftentimes crazy heat.

Thanks everyone for the input!
Old 04-22-2019, 12:18 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I can't find the one I was thinking of, but I'm going on a mission to find it. Here's one I just saw http://www.kool3.com/ho

And another that I've never seen in the wild https://trofeomotorsport.com/how-to-...-hot-race-car/
http://kustomkomponents.com/products/intercooler.php
You are thinking of the Chillout System. I have one coming first week of May. I was able to get 30% off with pre order. Small, Compact and you can use with the Cool-A-Clava also. No more needing ice, or running out of ice. I was sold for my Prototype. Plus you can swap cars super easy.

https://www.chilloutsystems.com/
Old 04-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Plavan
You are thinking of the Chillout System. I have one coming first week of May. I was able to get 30% off with pre order. Small, Compact and you can use with the Cool-A-Clava also. No more needing ice, or running out of ice. I was sold for my Prototype. Plus you can swap cars super easy.

That's it! I saw it all over IG and couldn't find it since! It looks great.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:29 PM
No-Substitute
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Plavan

i think I’ll hold out on buying anything until I hear how you like it. The only downfall is it doesn’t have forced air for the helmet.
Thanks for the info!!!
Old 04-23-2019, 10:46 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my honest opinion, forced air to the helmet sucks. I had it. I even had the FAST system that plumbed the air through the cooler before blowing on my head. It still sucked. I removed the whole forced air system from my car once I used the Cool-A Clava. The Cool-A-Clava is 1000X better than any forced air system.

Originally Posted by No-Substitute
i think I’ll hold out on buying anything until I hear how you like it. The only downfall is it doesn’t have forced air for the helmet.
Thanks for the info!!!
Old 04-24-2019, 02:11 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Cant wait to hear your report on the system . Seems like a great option at almost affordable numbers

Quick Reply: Cool shirt system