Sponsored by:

Tracking a Radical - what to expect

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 07:51 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH
Have you checked into the Radical North American Cup series? It is made up of a great group of racers and the go to all of the best tracks in America. Most people join one of the dealer teams and they take care of transporting your car to the events. Also, the Spring Mountain series is great if you can get there on a regular basis.

Here is some more information on the North American Cup series. This year the series is backing up some of the Indy Races.

Charley

https://radicalsportscarregistry.com...-cup-schedule/
I hadn’t actually, thanks for the info. I have small children at home so for the next few years my track time is going to be nearly all local. However, it won’t be too long before we have all of our kids in school. At that point I’ll have a lot more options, and this will be one to consider.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:16 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH
I found the exact same thing. I would look at the data and I could clearly see that I could be flat out through Turn 8 at willow Springs (~135mph). My brain would tell my foot to stay flat on the floor... but my foot wouldn’t listen. It took several sessions before my brain could convince my foot that staying flat was survivable

Charley
I hate it when it does that!
Old 04-22-2019, 04:59 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I have considered buying a Radical for track days but not sure how would that work with GT3/RS, GT4 and other P cars around me. Anyone care to share this type of experience doing track days with regular cars around you?
You have to be a smart driver. It's easy dart around in a car that is much quicker than other cars around them. That is often the problem. Running up behind someone, darting to the side into a blindspot and then hoping that know where you are.

Telegraph your moves early.
Don't drive right up behind the car in front of you. Generally drive one lane over so you can see their side mirror the entire time. That means they have the ability to see you and also won't have to guess what side of the car you are going to be on.
Get passes done early. Yes, the sports racer can generally make up massive ground in the brake zone. The problem is that the other cars don't realize that and will sometimes not expect it.
Drive through pit lane to get around different cars if you are in a mediocre situation.

It's not hard, but generally err on the side of driving smart enough for both cars and you'll be fine.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:48 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Figured I would update everyone. Had one part-day shakedown last month (maybe 10-15 laps total over four outings) and then did some more fix-it work after that. Got out for a goo track day last Thursday.

Couple of thoughts...
  1. Ordered a carbon fiber helmet to help reduce weight on my head (can't get the rocks out, unfortunately).
  2. This car is so fun and tossable. No nannies, of course, but everything is so direct that it feels much more controllable compared to my GT4 and GT3. It definitely slips/slides around but I feel that I can react faster in the Radical compared to the street cars.
  3. First day out I bested my GT4 time on this track. I'm sure I've got 3 - 5 seconds left.
  4. Can't they make a car like this with a flip up front and rear cover? I'm usually going to be at the track by myself so it is a real pain. Yes, I'll ask pit neighbors for help, but...
  5. Fun fun fun. Should've done this sooner. Thinking about selling the GT4.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:20 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seanseidman
Corner 13 at Area 27 can be taken flat, but will see if I can muster the ability to do it!
I have no issue taking 6,11 flat, but keeping my foot pinned at 190 km/h while looking at concrete is scary.
This will be my 3rd summer trying
6 yep, but 11 up over the rise flat takes some stones... Tip my hat to you. 13 though would depend on the speeds and how the car felt before I left my foot on the floor. That said, I have only 7 days there (3 more this year) in cars other than a Radical.

But, how are you liking the Radical? We have a few clients with them. On my list of cars to have....

Cheers
Old 05-13-2019, 02:43 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by altonj
6 yep, but 11 up over the rise flat takes some stones... Tip my hat to you. 13 though would depend on the speeds and how the car felt before I left my foot on the floor. That said, I have only 7 days there (3 more this year) in cars other than a Radical.

But, how are you liking the Radical? We have a few clients with them. On my list of cars to have....

Cheers
I love the car!
I raced a spec boxster with PCA, then stepped up to the Radical SR3 RS. The car is super fun to drive, and the consumables (tires, brakes) last as the car is so light.
See below for 11 gone wrong at Area 27. Damp conditions on slicks.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:16 PM
altonj
Pro

That could have been a lot worse! Thanks for your thoughts on the car and the video!

Cheers
Old 05-13-2019, 11:23 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

That could have been a lot worse! Thanks for your thoughts on the car and the video!

Cheers
Lucky I didn't end up spinning left into concrete wall.
BTW, if you ever spin one of these, clutch in right away or you blow the starter.
Happy to share some cleaner footage if you want to see the car at area 27 in the dry.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:33 AM
altonj
Pro

Yes, plenty of people dropping a wheel off at crest of 11 and going across track into the concrete. I was afraid that is what happened to you before I watched the video! I know Danny and Dave are loving their radicals up there as well.

Would love to see some dry footage.

Now that I have sold my Boxster S GTU car (you'll see it up there) and will likely part with my 997 4.0 I think a radical may be in the cards next year. But then I also need to chat with Felicity about a membership instead of just exchanging emails...

Cheers
Old 05-14-2019, 12:45 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Yes, plenty of people dropping a wheel off at crest of 11 and going across track into the concrete. I was afraid that is what happened to you before I watched the video! I know Danny and Dave are loving their radicals up there as well.

Would love to see some dry footage.

Now that I have sold my Boxster S GTU car (you'll see it up there) and will likely part with my 997 4.0 I think a radical may be in the cards next year. But then I also need to chat with Felicity about a membership instead of just exchanging emails...

Cheers
Great group of guys racing the radical at area 27.
Dave and Danny are quick-lots of carting experience-they would be flat through 14 in the right circumstance.
Laps get quicker around 15:00 in.
Not sure what they're doing about expanding membership.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:49 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

This is the start on cold tires-Dave and Danny at front
Old 05-14-2019, 01:09 AM
altonj
Pro

Thanks for posting!! The cold tire video is great, that also could have been waaaaay worse.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:11 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting!!
pleasure
let me know what you think
open for advice
Old 05-14-2019, 01:32 AM
altonj
Pro

You have more laps there than I do... Lines looked good when clear of traffic. I would hesitate to offer comment having not driven the SR3. That said, you are carrying good speed through 6 and 11. I am guessing that it takes some trust in the aero to keep it flat through 13 (you are close). But you have that trust through 6... Do many of the cars have the same data systems? Perhaps overlay your data to see where others are quicker?

Looks like an absolute blast to drive, thanks again!

I will be up there again on June 21 as we are hosting a private day with a couple of other members. Dave joined us last year at our event and if he can make it again this year I will go for a ride with him.

Cheers
Old 05-14-2019, 01:45 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

You have more laps there than I do... Lines looked good when clear of traffic. I would hesitate to offer comment having not driven the SR3. That said, you are carrying good speed through 6 and 11. I am guessing that it takes some trust in the aero to keep it flat through 13 (you are close). But you have that trust through 6... Do many of the cars have the same data systems? Perhaps overlay your data to see where others are quicker?

Looks like an absolute blast to drive, thanks again!

I will be up there again on June 21 as we are hosting a private day with a couple of other members. Dave joined us last year at our event and if he can make it again this year I will go for a ride with him.

Cheers
For me, coming from a spec boxster, the toughest adjustment is trusting the aero. Still happening for me, The wall on the right in 13 is in my head,
I think that wot in 6 is easier for me as speed is slower. 13 scares me. My mind says stay flat, but I haven't been able to do it.
I think data comparison, and time on YouTube watching Radicals race helps you learn to trust the aero.
I know that not being wot in 13 is costing me .01, and need to brake slightly later in 2. I think that is where I am losing a bit of time.
Enjoy your day in June

Quick Reply: Tracking a Radical - what to expect