Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atlanta Racers - Helmet/Safety Shop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Atlanta Racers - Helmet/Safety Shop?

Hi / Help
Where can I shop for helmets in the Atlanta area? Preferably north, as I'm in Alpharetta. I've been searching for about one month with no success. I know that there are some places to get G-Force helmets, but I don't want one of those. I know that there is a Stand 21 shop toward Road Atlanta, but that looks too expensive. I'm primarily interested in Bell, but I'd like to check out Bieffe and maybe others in the $300-$400 range. I need to buy two, because my wife and I each need a new bucket.
I know that I can go on-line to OG Racing, etc, but I'd like to try them on, if possible.
Any recommendations would be appreciated -
Old 02-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.discoveryparts.com/

They're located just north of 285 off of Peachtree Industrial (next door to Performance Imports). Ron Zappendorf, the owner, is a real stand up guy, and is usually out with his trailer at all the PCA DE's. I know they carry Bell, sparco, Pyrotec, and gforce. I just bought a g force and i love it, very cheap, but equal quality as the bell.

-oh, and welcome to the Peachstate region, i think youll like it. The PCA is pretty active with 5-6 DE's, a couple autocrosses, a few rallys, and the people are fantastic.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Atlanta Racers - Helmet/Safety Shop?

Originally posted by Jack667
Hi / Help
Where can I shop for helmets in the Atlanta area? Preferably north, as I'm in Alpharetta. I've been searching for about one month with no success. I know that there are some places to get G-Force helmets, but I don't want one of those.
Why?

If you are thinking they are sub-par because of the price, you are grossly mistaken. I've had 3 Bell helmets and 1 Simpson through the years. I'll take my G-Force over the Bell or Simpson every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Yes, I'm serious.

I currently have two Bell Sport II helmets and was considering a Bell M3 when I was able to actually see a G-Force helmet in person. I was very impressed. The quality is at least as good as my Bell helmets and I actually think it's better (and way better than the Simpson I had). Add to that my G-Force is a Kevlar helmet and that's a big plus. It appears all of their current SA offerings are Kevlar.

Furthermore, I've compared my business partner's Shoei bike helmet to my G-Force and I have reason to believe the G-Force is designed by Shoei and built in China instead of Japan. I cannot prove this, but the breath deflectors are *exactly* the same and the face shields appear to be as well although I have not had a chance to swap them between the two. Construction looks pretty much the same as well. My fear is that once people realize how good the G-Force helmets are an what a deal they are, the prices will go up.

Don't take my word for it. You have places near you that sell them. Go check them out. I think you'll find the quality to be beyond expectations.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:42 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check RacerWholsale right in your new back yard. They have all the equipmemt you'll need.

http://www.racerwholesale.com/

1050 Cambridge Square, Suite A • Alpharetta, GA 30004 • 770.998.7777 voice • 678.832.1100 fax
Old 02-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks all for the input. Depending on the fit - this is why I want to check the stuff out before purchasing - I'm thinking about getting a G-Force suit, maybe a GF525. I'm also thinking about a Bell Sport III - actually one for me and one for the wife. I also want to get a HANS device and set it up for both helmets. I have Simpson harnesses, but I plan to get a Schroth set next year. I also am getting a cage installed as I am starting club racing this year.
I'm retiring my Simpson SA95 helmet and my wife's Bell M95, as we are jumping on the safety bandwagon!
I'll also check out the G-Force helmets while shopping.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... we are jumping on the safety bandwagon!
If you're going to be on a bandwagon, that's a good one to be on.

I'll also check out the G-Force helmets while shopping.
I'm guessing you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:32 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

You're in luck again as the the HANS Device place is located just further south on Peachtree Rd in Chamblee.

http://www.hansdevice.com/

Hubbard/Downing, Inc.
5096 Peachtree Road
Atlanta, GA 30341
Phone: 1-888-HANS-999
Fax: 770-458-6118
Email: info@hansdevice.com

RacerWholesale carrries all the safety equipment you'll need. Maybe not all brands though.

Wish I lived in Atlanta still! A lot more availablity and to choose from.

Good luck!

Jim
Old 02-08-2004, 10:46 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Racers Wholesale used to have an "open showroom" at their Alpheratta location. We went there and tried on Helments and Shoes for "FIT" before purchasing. They closed the "showroom" about two years ago.

Now you "mail order" phone or internet & hope it fits.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:48 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I guess it's been longer than I thought since I've been there. Oh well.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:28 PM
vpk944
Intermediate

Ron at Discovery Parts runs a first rate operation, his prices also seem to be a little lower than everyone else's too. I think Racers Wholesale is open to the public again (atleast they were a couple of months ago). I still ended up at Discovery. Awesome tech shop next door (performance Imports). One of the owners is on the Racers Group crew. They actually crewed for the 67 car at Daytona. Another good shop is International Performance Center in Roswell. The owner is an I group racer (PCA) and they typically podium most S.E. events.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:33 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

I'll check with them tomorrow & see if the showroom's open!!!

I need to pick up new shoes & gloves! Really like to try shoes for FIT!
Old 02-10-2004, 09:00 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

i too will be needing a helmet soon in time for the march 20-21 event at RA. thanks for the reccomendations!

Quick Reply: Atlanta Racers - Helmet/Safety Shop?