Sponsored by:

DE Communicator

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 03:47 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by zoiks
Thanks for some of the leads. After tracking some of this down along with a few emails to various suppliers this is what I've tracked down. I don't understand why the full face helmet kit is so expensive. This is the only website I've seen in the US that carriers a complete IMSA connector system. I'm waiting to here back on why the full face helmet kit is so expensive before I decide on which systems to buy.

$249.95 IC200N
$249.95 full face helmet kit
$79.99 for student kit
$579.89 grand total

https://www.stableenergies.com/Rosso...C200N-IMSA-DC/

https://www.stableenergies.com/IMSA-...T615CSPK-EBUD/

https://www.stableenergies.com/Trac-...-HS-BOOM-IMSA/

Looks like a cheaper "non-compact microphone:

https://www.stableenergies.com/IMSA-...15CSPK%2DEBUD/

I did the same math. Almost 600 bucks for a first time instructor is a big bill.....
Old 03-11-2019, 08:32 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
I did the same math. Almost 600 bucks for a first time instructor is a big bill.....
I didn't know these other options existed when I bought the Chatterbox system. I think I'm now on my third Chatterbox system and I probably purchased 3-4 extra student headsets. That's pretty close to what I'll spend here without the frustration. At least that's how I'll justify it in my head. This better be durable!

Old 03-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Stable Energies
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zoiks
Thanks for some of the leads. After tracking some of this down along with a few emails to various suppliers this is what I've tracked down. I don't understand why the full face helmet kit is so expensive. This is the only website I've seen in the US that carriers a complete IMSA connector system. I'm waiting to here back on why the full face helmet kit is so expensive before I decide on which systems to buy.

$249.95 IC200N
$249.95 full face helmet kit
$79.99 for student kit
$579.89 grand total

https://www.stableenergies.com/Rosso...C200N-IMSA-DC/

https://www.stableenergies.com/IMSA-...T615CSPK-EBUD/

https://www.stableenergies.com/Trac-...-HS-BOOM-IMSA/

Looks like a cheaper "non-compact microphone:

https://www.stableenergies.com/IMSA-...15CSPK%2DEBUD/

The Helmet kits you are referring to are the type that are used for radio communications and work with the intercom systems that are wired in the IMSA configuration as is the Rosso IC200.
They are very robust and reliable as well as having high quality speakers and mil spec noise cancelling Gentex microphones.
The mic used in the RT715CSPK-EBUD is about the size of a quarter and 1/2 inch thick.
The mic used in the RT615CSPK-EBUD is about the size of a dime, 3/16 dia. and about 1/4 inch thick.
Both helmet kits have 2 speakers and an earbud jack as well.
Either kit performs extremely well.
The smaller mic has better noise cancelling and frequency response and takes up less space in a helmet compared to the larger M101 mic.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:52 PM
Stable Energies
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In regards to the Rosso Intercom; the dual volume controls, powerful audio gain and active audio filtering are very desirable features.
It allows you to speak in a normal tone and be heard perfectly.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:16 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

For those that purchased the Rosso IC-200 system do you pick up a constant "white noise" when powered on? I just got mine in the mail and plugged in the helmet kit and I can hear a constant "white noise" hum when on battery power. I gets louder and softer as you adjust the volume control. This happens when plugged into the driver or co-driver slot. I have not received my students headset so I only have the instructor side plugged in. I'm pretty surprised with how loud the back ground noise is. Let me know if this is not normal.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:38 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

I noticed on both my Stilo DG10 and Rosso IC200 that the electronics in certain cars can cause inductive noise - like alternator whine, but a higher frequency. The noise is leaking in over the cables. That is the only noise I typically hear on these units. Otherwise they are a massive upgrade to the Chatterbox.

If you already have a stilo helmet with electronics, then the cost is a lot lower. You can use the student headset (Stilo wired) from the TRAC-COM unit. It's a very good unit.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:30 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=ShakeNBake;15786861]I noticed on both my Stilo DG10 and Rosso IC200 that the electronics in certain cars can cause inductive noise - like alternator whine, but a higher frequency. The noise is leaking in over the cables. That is the only noise I typically hear on these units. Otherwise they are a massive upgrade to the Chatterbox.

If you already have a stilo helmet with electronics, then the cost is a lot lower. You can use the student headset (Stilo wired) from the TRAC-COM unit. It's a very good unit.[/QUOTl

I already got the IMSA connectors per the outline a few threads up. I've not used the new Rosso in my car yet. I'm picking up this noise sitting in my living room after I wired up my helmet. I'm running on the 9V battery that I would think would be about as clean as the power can get. I can definitely tell the system is a lot more durable than the Chatterbox. I just want to check if it's normal to have this background "white noise" literally sitting in my living room with the IMSA connect helmet kit wired in.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:33 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm the OP, went with Speedcom connected to wired Stilo. Tested at home it sounds good will know more after next week's event @NJMP..
Old 04-24-2019, 09:52 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

To answer your question, I just tested mine in a quiet room. With the volume maxed, I can hear some white noise, but doubt that I would be aware of this if I were driving, and had 85db ambient sound surrounding me. I tested the system with the Chatterbox immediately after, and could hear white noise, but a little bit less. Given the difference in amplification power between these 2 systems, that seems about what I would expect.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:44 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KOAN
To answer your question, I just tested mine in a quiet room. With the volume maxed, I can hear some white noise, but doubt that I would be aware of this if I were driving, and had 85db ambient sound surrounding me. I tested the system with the Chatterbox immediately after, and could hear white noise, but a little bit less. Given the difference in amplification power between these 2 systems, that seems about what I would expect.
Hope this helps.
OK, thanks for answering the question. That's pretty close to my observations. I also thought the Chatterbox has less background "white noise". (or it could be it stopped working again). I'll be using it this weekend on the track for the first time so I'll see if I notice this "white noise" while on the track. Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:41 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Please report what you experience. What track will you be driving?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:39 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Please report what you experience. What track will you be driving?
Will do. I'll be at Barber Motorsports.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:22 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Used my Rosso for the first time today. There was no white noise, but I did hear a tiny bit of ambient interference buzz. I was only able to hear it once the session was over and we were in the pit. During the session, there was no annoying background noise, and we were able to talk to one another in what seemed like a normal conversation volume.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:46 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I ran my Speedcom equipment for the first time. Excellent acoustics but noticed occasionally some white noise related to the student's engine rpm. The only issue was managing the extensive length of all of the cables I did use a small canvas back to contain the communicator and cables and after returning home wound up and zip tied all of the excess cable.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Used my Rosso for the first time today. There was no white noise, but I did hear a tiny bit of ambient interference buzz. I was only able to hear it once the session was over and we were in the pit. During the session, there was no annoying background noise, and we were able to talk to one another in what seemed like a normal conversation volume.
I ran my Rosso for the first time yesterday and found it didn't have enough volume. Had it all the way turned up. Still couldn't hear the student very clearly....

Quick Reply: DE Communicator