Sponsored by:

Thunderbolt rain line

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:40 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Thunderbolt rain line

Headed to NJMP this weekend and it looks like I need to bring my Ark for Sunday. I've never driven Thunderbolt in the rain. Any unique rain line Intel for Thunderbolt or just the typical don't touch painted stuff.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:46 AM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I've got some experience in the rain there. There can be a large river that crosses the back straight (between 2-4) that can be significant.

In terms of curbing, the saw-cut concrete tends to be usable when it's wet (like thru the octopus head). Conversely the flat concrete curbing at driver left in the braking zone at T1 is treacherous--stay way away from it in the wet.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:56 AM
rhargy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As well as the above there can be a river on the exit of The Octopus right where you feel like you want to get on the power.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:26 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Water can build just past bridge on left side as the track straightens as you head onto front straight. Going off there can drive you across track and into pit wall, not good.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:06 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a bunch of videos up on Youtube that show conditions on the track. Ones that come to mind are AER last year.

One thing that isn't obvious is that the braking zone into turn 10 is downhill. It's a common place to go off as it surprises you if you are not aware. Curbing will be slick and there will be water buildup on the inside apex of turns such as 8. Also usually water running across on the straight between 7 and 8. Watch out for Turn 2...

Practice common sense and don't fight it if you go off.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:56 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

It's a fully worn in track, so avoid the "normal line" as much as possible. Also watch the rivers and puddles as others have mentioned.

Be most attentive going through the esses and exiting the final turn. I have seen people into the bridge, or the barriers, all through there. I have also seen some lose it on the exit of 4 and end up to the right into the barrier.

It will be relatively chilly, so that will only add to the excitement.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:15 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

With heavy rain and standing water T1 is a rim shot. Stay off the curbing everywhere. Stay half a car width of the T3 curbing and watch the potential river running across between T3 and T4. Stay a car width off T4 curbing. T5 is a rim shot. T9, the entry into the Octopus is a rim shot. Take T10 on the outside. Watch the river right as you go back on throttle coming out of T10. Stay off the curbing going through T11 a/b (the Esses). Stay one car width off the T12 apex.

NJMP has done a lot to improve drainage over the years and it has been better every single time I've been on track in the rain.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:53 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Headed to NJMP this weekend and it looks like I need to bring my Ark for Sunday. I've never driven Thunderbolt in the rain. Any unique rain line Intel for Thunderbolt or just the typical don't touch painted stuff.
I'm seeing a 10% chance of thunderstorms for Sunday:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/mi...t/339504?day=6

That forecast has been changing all week, and for the better. Maybe any precip will hold off until Monday, when it doesn't matter to us.

Seems like tempos will rise into the 50's both days, which is a lot better than the highs of 20 that it will be tomorrow and Thursday.

Positive thoughts DTM. Positive thoughts....
Old 03-05-2019, 05:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by rhargy
As well as the above there can be a river on the exit of The Octopus right where you feel like you want to get on the power.
that one got me and a dozen others at the november event last year. definitely need a 2 count before getting on the power once u hit the stream

Old 03-05-2019, 05:53 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

One more thing that hasn't been mentioned is the puddle at drivers left at turn in for turn 1 takes forever and a day to go away. After a substantial rain, if you see the pit lane is dry the turn in point for turn 1 is likely still wet.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:01 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Guys, It's not gonna rain on Sunday. I'm gonna be there with DTM and the rest of the Chin nuts, so it's not gonna rain.

(Good stuff in this thread just in case it does), but it won't rain on Sunday.

That being said, I have done Thunderbolt in the rain, and it can be treacherous in heavy rain, but most of it has been covered in this thread.

Def stay off the curbing, and the running water around 2-3 is a headache, as it is coming out of the Octopus, but just back it down and be careful.

The spray from the car in front of you is the most annoying of all of it, to me anyway.

Looking forward to a great first weekend of the season. See ya there....
Old 03-05-2019, 06:03 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

This place is amazing. Thanks to everyone. I went and watched about 20 minutes of AER action and was able to make notes on the track map of the various lakes and rivers; not shockingly it's pretty much a list of what was detailed in this thread.

Bruce, hope for the best, plan for the worst! Especially since I think I have a 0/0 day guy assigned to me for this weekend.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:50 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll be there this weekend as well - I was more concerned about the temps to be honest, but it's too late now as it snowed the day I thought I could put the Toyos back on, so with the tires I'm taking there, I'll likely be the fastest guy if it snows.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:04 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by erko1905
I'll be there this weekend as well - I was more concerned about the temps to be honest, but it's too late now as it snowed the day I thought I could put the Toyos back on, so with the tires I'm taking there, I'll likely be the fastest guy if it snows.
If it snows we can hot lap the Armada. Seats 8. Four wheel drive.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
If it snows we can hot lap the Armada. Seats 8. Four wheel drive.
YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW......

Quick Reply: Thunderbolt rain line